Just purchased an MPG 181

We just purchased a MPG 181. We are planning to tow it with a Dodge Ram 1500- V6. We had a leak in the bathroom faucet, fixed now. Looking forward to many trips this summer. We have a few mods planned and will post when done.

jimtoo

Hi theotherdoughboy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Hope you make many great memories with your new MPG, and please do keep us updated on the mods you make.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations and welcome to the forum. What a great little travel trailer y'all have. Enjoy and travel safely.

kb0zke

Congratulations! We purchased our 181 in December, and towed it about 2500 miles in the past three weeks. We went to the Heartland Rally in Goshen, then down to Potato Creek State Park for a couple of days, then on down to Kentuckiana, near Peoria, for several days. We were going to go up to the Amanas for a few days before heading to Lincoln, NE for a wedding, but a medical issue intervened, so we came home for a few days instead of going to Iowa.

If you haven't already joined the Heartland Owners' Club, I strongly urge you to do so. You will meet many fine people, and when you attend the Rally in Goshen you will be able to talk to factory folks and tour the factory.

We had only two issues on the trip, both relatively minor. The aluminum angle that supports the kitchen drawers is too far apart, so that the plastic drawers fall down constantly. The second one was more exciting. The cable for the emergency brake is too long, and it actually caught on something on the road, pulling the pin and locking up the brakes. I'm going to find another way to attach the car end so fix that.

For the first two weeks we had only my DW, the cat, and myself in the mpg. The last week we also had our adult daughter with us. As you would expect, space was a bit tight, but since we were basically sleeping in the mpg, we got along fine.

Yellowreef

The cable for the emergency brake is too long, and it actually caught on something on the road, pulling the pin and locking up the brakes. I'm going to find another way to attach the car end so fix that.For the first two weeks we had only my DW, the cat, and myself in the mpg. The last week we also had our adult daughter with us. As you would expect, space was a bit tight, but since we were basically sleeping in the mpg, we got along fine.
You wouldn't happen to be attaching the loop at the end of that cable directly to the hitch mount would you? I can see how that would make it too long. I was taught to loop it through the ring where you attach the safety chain, back up towards the hitch lock and attach it there. It has enough play to turn with no issues, but not enough to drag or get caught on the ground.

kb0zke

Thanks for the tip! Yes, that's the way I had it because that's the way the dealer did it. I'll try your method the next time I take the trailer out, and see how it works.