air conditioner advice needed

rvn4fun

Well it finally happened, I was hoping it never would but it did. Our main air conditioner quit yesterday, 99 degree day in Nebraska. Today our temperature hit 106. We have a big problem as we work camp all summer, we are no where near a dealer and couldn't leave our jobs even if a dealer was close. Rv is over a year old but Dometic has a two year warranty on air conditioners. Fan trys to start but won't, so I think problem is in the fan part of air conditioner. Need advice on what would you do? Tried to call a air conditioner expert who is not a rv dealer but does air conditioning repair, knowing I would have to pay for it, but would , if I could get a hold of him. Hot day and 4th of July coming up good luck getting a repairman. Need help, what would you do. Moving rv is not a option. Would you call Dometic? I know Heartland wouldn't help as unit is over a year old. Front air conditioner is working but it still is 88 in rv. Long summer coming up. Hot water heater quit in Yuma last winter now this. Is there a reliable air conditioner out there that I could buy and just get cool, wife is suffering from heat and can't put up with this all summer. I know we could get to a dealer in September but that does not help us now. Help, advice?

ankie3467

I dont have any solutions. Just wanted to say I feel for you. We buy new RVs, so this doesnt happen. Hot water heater and now Air conditioner, I would be fuming--but that just makes one hotter! Those cool ties really do help if you store in frig till you need them.

jimtoo

Hi rvn4fun,

I would suggest you call Heartland Customer Service 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. They could probably give you the name and phone # of a mobile rv repair person in your area. Or call a local dealer and ask about mobile repair person.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
How about calling a Mobile RV Repair Service. I am sure the RV Park office should be able to recommend one. If they cannot start calling RV Service companies in the area as many have mobile service but don't advertise it.

hoefler

If you think it is the fan, remove the shroud and look at the fan blade and motor. See if a wasp nest is built on it or has fallen and blocked it from rotating.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
rvn4fun, I would not hesitate to call Dometic and ask for the name of a local or nearby mobile service provider. For me, worse case scenario would be to go to the local Wally World and buy one of those portable A/C units. They run on 110 volts and have to vent through a window. It should be reasonably simple to make a cardboard "insert" to run the vent through. Remove a screen and make the board the same size as the screen.
It's sad that this has to happen but you know the old saying about doo doo. Then there's Murphys Law... Good Luck with your situation.

jpajax

Starter capacitor has been a rash of them going bad. But that is a good idea to check if it is turning freely

AttyVette

Sorry to hear of your air conditioning woes..I hope Dometic comes through for you as it is just too hot to be without air conditioning!

rvn4fun

Thanks for everyone's advice. We were finally able to get a repairman from the nearest town to fix it. It was the capacitator. Haven't recieved the bill yet but the nearest rv airconditioner repairman was about 225 miles away. So I will probably have to pay it but we are cool.