Landing Leg Speed

Jett

Seems to me like the legs extend and retract very slowly -- much, much slower than any other 5th wheel I've owned. They haven't gotten any slower -- or faster -- since I brought the Cyclone home, so it may just be a characteristic of the system HL uses.

Can anyone comment on what's "normal" speed for a HL? I don't yet have one of the elusive "emergency access holes" in case of a failure, so maybe I'm just paranoid.

Jett

Loco

Jett,
My is the same way. They just have a lower gear for the heavy weight of the toyhaulers. My best friend has a Rapter and his is the same way also. Slow.I am going to put Hyd landing on our rig one of these days. But they are very costly.I may even built my own Hyd.landing gear. It would be easy to build them for me. I work on ladder trucks and have been to many Hyd system training schools. Just have to find the right Hyd clyinders and pump. Make the brackets to mount then to the trailer frame and wire controls up. Something to do next winter.

ChopperBill

Cyclones are not the only ones that are slow. Our Bighorn is too. The lower the gear ratio the more powerful they will be so it never bothered me much. As long as we are on the landing gears...check the bolts that are in the square drive shafts. One of mine fell out when the nut came off. According to the dealer all manufactures have this problem. Putting a simple lock nut on the bolt is the cure. Never did figure out how come the factory's haven't figured this out. :confused:
on edit: If yours don't seem to be at the same height you can remove this bolt and raise or lower one leg to get it in "time" with the other one.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
ChopperBill
The nut came off of my cross drive also. I used a nylock nut on it.

mufflerman

The cross shaft was assembled with a screw on mine same as the rear bunks, luckily I saw this before they fell apart and had dealer put bolts in.

Jett

Thanks for the info. I don't particularily mind the slow speed -- just wanted some reassurance the it's "normal".

I'll definitely replace all of the accessable hardware with nylock nuts.

Jett

BluegrassMan

Loco:

Go to your dealer and look in side the cargo area on a Landmark. You will see all that is needed to change to juice driven legs. They are quick, even under the weight of the trailer. Campers are amazed to see how fast the trailer levels, then they see the slides are pretty quick too.