Restrictions US into Canada

rarnold

After two short 1 to 2 night shake-down trips we are taking our first long road trip from northern Calif into Edmonton, Alberta Canada, then to Banff (Lake Louise) and over to Vancouver. We are really looking forward to the trip but wondering what things will not be allowed into Canada? Does anyone have a good list or website that might help me in planning our load?

We would love to take some Calif wine up to our relatives.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Unless things have changed you are allowed to import on liter of alcohol per person. No handguns and some restrictions on long guns. No potatoes.
Look RIGHT HERE for more information.

Peace
Dave

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Make sure you have current health certificates for pets if you have any and plan to travel with them. Have a great trip!
:cool:

mikeandconnie

I'm off subject some, However, my best freind was turned around at the Canada border last week and was deported back to the US because he had one DUI on his record 9 years ago... I found a lot of good information for him using google search, there a long process he has to do before he can enter Canada.

mountain1

One of our professors was not allowed to enter Cananda last week with her three year old daughter until she could prove the father had no objections to the child leaving the country. More specifically, she was not allowed to leave the US.

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
Just crossed the border about a week ago:
take your sunglasses off and your hat/cap off
turn off your engine
make eye contact with border official
need passports for every one in vehicle
need proof you are legal guardian of underage children
need signed, dated rabies certificate for dogs
need registrations for all vehicles
need proof of Canadian coverage for vehicle insurance (you can get this from your insurance agent or on-line)
NO GUNS, PEPPER SPRAY, BEAR SPRAY

They will ask what is your purpose for going to Canada, how long are you going to be there and if you are carrying anything you will be leaving in Canada. Your wine will fall into that category. Also, it is alcohol which as a previous poster mentioned has limits.

They will turn you away if you have a criminal record or DUI.

This is the web site for the Canada Border Control. I spent many hours reading it before we went and it will cover all your questions.

Oh, yes, don't forget you will need to come home :D and U.S. customs is even stricter. No fruit, fresh vegetables for example. This is the website for U.S. Customs Control.

Experiences will vary at the border crossings as it is a subjective situation under the control of the border official. The best advice is to read the stuff on the websites checking for the specifics that apply to you.

Have fun in Canada. We are!!!!

Moose

I'm off subject some, However, my best freind was turned around at the Canada border last week and was deported back to the US because he had one DUI on his record 9 years ago... I found a lot of good information for him using google search, there a long process he has to do before he can enter Canada.

Isn't that insane! No common sense. It is the same rules going into USA? Is a DUI in the USA a Criminal Code Conviction? I am wondering what sets off the alarm bells?

I think I recall a story of a 78 year old man from USA who couldn't come to his summer home in Nova Scotia because of a previous DUI conviction in the USA.

Wonder what the process is to have yiur slate cleared off?

Back to OP. No handguns. Try gift wraping the wine and putting Happy Birthday cards on it and plead ignorance. LoL

UPDATE:

Officially . . . . You cannot claim alcoholic beverages as gifts.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Isn't that insane! No common sense. It is the same rules going into USA? Is a DUI in the USA a Criminal Code Conviction? I am wondering what sets off the alarm bells?

I think I recall a story of a 78 year old man from USA who couldn't come to his summer home in Nova Scotia because of a previous DUI conviction in the USA.

Wonder what the process is to have yiur slate cleared off?

Back to OP. No handguns. Try gift wraping the wine and putting Happy Birthday cards on it and plead ignorance. LoL

UPDATE:

Officially . . . . You cannot claim alcoholic beverages as gifts.

Your would need to contact an attorney to see if you are eligible to get any arrests or convictions expunged. That is normally a difficult thing to do.

brianharrison

Isn't that insane! No common sense. It is the same rules going into USA? Is a DUI in the USA a Criminal Code Conviction? I am wondering what sets off the alarm bells

Yup, same process for us Canadians going south into US. DUI in Canada, reduces the chances you can get into US. As mentioned though, sometimes it is up to the US Border Agecncy individual.

Take care,
Brian

branson4020

Icantre Member
I haven't crossed into Canada in more than 20 years and it sounds like lots has changed. Do they do some sort of computer check on every person crosssing the border?

Manzan

Since you are heading to Vancouver on your way home, avoid crossing into Washington State at Blaine on the weekend. It tends to be a very busy crossing. If you can't avoid it, head to the truck crossing at Abbotsford to Sumas then south to Bellingham if you want to travel on I-5. That crossing can be busy but still faster than Blaine. I have a cousin married to a Mountie living in Chilliwack so head up that way fairly often. He turned to acting after retiring from the RCMP and has turned into one heck of an actor. Rarely miss a chance to go up there and see him in a play.

rarnold

Thank you ALL for the great advice and experiences. We leave tomorrow AM. After reading your comments and all the referral web sites, we feel much better prepared now. Thanks again for some terrific advice!