Overnight at Cabela's in Hammond, IN

DW_Gray

On the way to Goshen, IN to attend the 2011 North American Heartland Owners Rally, we drove by Cabela's in Hammond, IN. I saw that they had a huge parking lot. I talked to the Cabela's manager of the day to inquire about overnight camping a week before our intended visit. He was very positive, actually, somewhat excited that we were coming to spend the night there.

On east side of the parking lot there are 27 spaces for trucks or RVs. Also located on the east side is a dumping station that we took advantage of. There is an area for pets and 4 horse corrals too. We chose to park on the west side and had the most beautiful front lawn ever. Click on the link below and you can see an RV parked the same place we did.

On the north and west side is a paved bike and foot trail (Erie Lackawanna Trail). Amy and I went for a bike ride and found a fishing pond just south of Cabela’s. Several people were fishing there. We stopped there and a couple of fishermen showed us their pictures of bass they caught. While we were stopped near a wooded area, a big whitetail doe came running through.

Best of all, Cabela’s is great place to shop and hang out.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.57...,-95.677068&sspn=50.37814,114.169922&t=h&z=17

jpdoggett

We have a Cabela's here in Kansas City, Kansas, I have never stayed out there but I do use the dump station we don't dump at the camp grounds we stay at cause it dosn't dump everything but by the time we drive into town it dumps great and they do have a good and clean dump station

caissiel

We stayed at the Gabela's in Pensylvania on I78 in Hamburg. They are also well equiped like noted above.
Hamburg has a special place in our travels as its the nice town that we had to stay in when my GM broke down on a trip south.
Everyone was so nice and everytime we travel south we make a point to stop there for a short rest.
Last Fall I also found that Taylor Swift the Country singer originate from the area.