Dometic RML8555 Fan MIA

PhotoPete

Happy holidays everyone.

We just purchased a new Edge M21. It was manufactured 6/20/11. It has a Dometic RML 8555 fridge in it. The fridge temp gets too warm as the outside temp climbs. As I began to investigate I noticed that the fan, the user manual says it has, is missing. The second image is of the back of the fridge where the fan should be. just a button that says "PENTAN".View attachment 13785View attachment 13784

I would otherwise go back to the dealer on this, but he is 250 miles away. We have a trip planned in several days and I need to get this thing working correctly, NOW. From the looks of it, its not much more than a "computer" fan. Could I simply install such a thing? where would I mount it, what power source should i tap into? I don't think I want to have it run 24/7. Ideally it only runs when the fridge is cooling. Any thoughts on this little dilemma?

jbeletti

Pete,

Congrats on the new Edge. I can't explain if a fan is to be there or why it is not. My guess is that it's a good idea to have one there. Heartland does not add fans, so if it's a miss, it's Dometic's miss. Until you can contact Heartland Customer Service (877-266-8032) on Tuesday, I think the computer fan idea is a sound one.

Mickey on this forum made a second fan system on his RM1350 by mounting side-by-side, two 120 mm 12 vdc computer fans. He mounted them on the inside of the upper removable vent. Right to the back side of the vent. He tapped into some DC circuit behind the refer.

I can't tell you where to tap in, but DC exists back there and if you're just winging it for the holiday weekend, experimentation may be in order. Be mindful of the fuse level in whatever circuit you tap into. The fan does not draw a lot. Two of them draw double and added to an existing circuit, you could blow the fuse and not notice it right away. You'll want to know that it's blown lest the refer shut down!

Good luck and circle back here with your temp fix as well as what the ultimate solution from Dometic/Heartland was.

Jim

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
1. yes they are regular computer fans. radio shack has some with "lights" on them, mount them on the top vent blowing out and you can see them running at night so you will always know they are on. i would wire them so they run 24 hours a day.
2. find another heartland or similar unit and see how they are wired up.
3. do as another bighorn user did, mount a 12" WALMART FAN HANGING ON THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR UNIT TILL YOU GET IT FIGURED OUT.

PhotoPete

Thanks for the comments. I guess ill attach a couple fans on the inside of the vent. I tested the theory yesterday with a smaller fan. It seemed to prove the point that it's worth while. Refer temps are still to high, but hopefully more airflow is the answer.

Pete

PhotoPete

Well I installed two 120mm fans on the back of the top vent. The temp in the fridge may have actually gotten warmer!Plan B is to call the manufacture in the AM. Bummer.Pete

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Not sure but I would see if they are going the wrong direction. Maybe give it a try.

PhotoPete

Ok, have been on the phone to Dometic and their local authorized service center. Regrettably there is no solution at this point. Does anyone know if and where I will find any on-board/internal fuses on this model refer? We are scheduled to leave this friday but don't have a refer we can use. Perhaps access to a quality service manual would be helpful, anyone know where i can access one?

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
welcome to my world. see this link [h=3]Dometic rm1350 - need help![/h]a few below yours. i'm sure you have read some of it already. mine still don't work, called dometic a few days ago. totally useless person. he had no suggestion as to what to do to get mine working. i'm at the point i'm ready to install a 120 volt home unit. i need to research that before i do it.