Furnace

nhunter

I know it has been beat to death but my furnace sucks. If you pull the wood cover off you can feel air coming out of back of furnace. It is bolted down tight but if you run your hand across along the back, towards the middle there is lots of air coming out. Is this right or wrong.

RickNB

I have a problem with my furnace as well and think I have found the cause of it but still have to get the dealer to have a look at it. I found that a lot of air was also escaping from the furnace box itself because when you pulled the kitchen drawers out they were very warm to the touch. My furnace is under the stove next to the row of drawers. I took off the air vent cover and using a mirror and light was able to look along the main duct run and found that the feeder duct that tee's into the main run was buckled down obstructing about 60% of the flow from the furnace. I am thinking that this is causing a lot of back pressure in the furnace box and thus causing it to leak a lot. The furnace box when running is too hot to touch. There must be a high limit cutoff to prevent it from becoming too hot to cause damage but to my knowledge it hasnt shut down yet.

I have only had the unit for 2 weeks and just found this problem a few days ago so havnt got the dealer to look at it yet. It looks like the furnace will have to come out to fix it and possible removing the belly cover .

You might want to try having a look at your duct run using a mirrow in the vent holes and see if you can detect any obstructions.

Have Fun
Rick

nhunter

That's what I was thinking. I get good air flow at the rear,sightly less at the middle and none in the bedroom/bathroom/underbelly. I just didn't have a small mirror last night. I also thought our furnace sounds very loud, so maybe to much restriction?

RickNB

I have attached a couple of pics not an easy place to get a picture of inside a heat duct so excuse the quality. This is the situation inside my ducts. You should be able to see the duct coming from the furnace collapsed down to a small triangle. The main duct is also squeezed down at the same point. This ducting is very light weight and doesnt take much to bend it out of shape.

Have Fun

Attachments

• Duct3.jpg
    Duct3.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Duct4.jpg
    Duct4.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 103

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Ours works so well we want to close the one in the bedroom off!!!:)

5catfam

We get very little heat out of the two registers in rear and one in the kitchen. but good heat in bedroom and head. I have taken panel off and checked furnace and it seems to be fasten down tight but a lot of air is coming out around it. I have talked to service at my dealer and thay are saying that 3055 don't get much heat in back three registers. But thay are now willing to look at it if I leave it with them.:(

JJAK17

I know this is under the BH section but my Sundance furnace does not seem to be blowing much air either. The front (bedroom) has just a trickle of air the others have more.
It was cool here in Wisconsin today so I thought that I would fire the furnace up to check it out.
I also just dropped my unit off at the dealer for other warranty issues and mentioned it to the service person. He told me that due to "such a long run the furnace can not blow the air that far". I dont think that is the case at all. I am wondering if I too have some sort of air restriction in my ducts.
I will also post this under the Sundance section for maybe more input.

RickNB

JJAK
I have had a post over on the Sundance section for a few days now with no response so give it a try.

Rick

nhunter

RickNB, you are correct I am the proud owner of a crushed duct(although not as severe as yours). Any ideas on how to un-crush the duct. It is about 4-5 feet back from kitchen vent and my arms aren't that long.

impertick

Clark & Tina Emery
furnace not blowing air in bedroom

I had the same problem with my furnace not blowing much air at all in the bedroom. I have a 3600RL Bighorn. The furnace should blow air in the bedroom. The dealer is fixing it right now. It's a big fix they said but none the less it is getting fixed right now. Maybe your dealer needs a little visit from Heartland. My dealer and Heartland have been great with any problem that I've had.
good luck

Forrest Fetherolf

nhunter,

I had a crushed heater duct in a Pace Arrow. I inserted 1-1/2" ABS plastic pipe to open the duct and left it there. The pipe kept the duct open and air could pass through and around the pipe with very little, if any, air flow restriction. If the duct is smaller, try using thin wall plastic sprinkler pipe.

Forrest

nhunter

impertick- I just picked it up from my dealer, but this was unknown to me or them. Unfortunately I will have to go back.

RickNB

Nhunter

I dont have any good ideas about getting in to uncrush those ducts . I am thinking that it will mean taking down the belly wrap and going up through. In my case they might be able to get to it by taking the furnace out and reaching in from there as it is at the tee to the main duct run and that is only about 18 inches from the furnace. Havnt had a chance to get my dealer service man to look at it yet (my fault).

Have fun
Rick