Getting Worried

Rodbuster

Don't really know why I'm posting this. Well, maybe I do...I guess I'm just venting. I woke up early this morning and have been playing around on the internet for a couple of hours trying to find information that might help me.

I'm the guy that just bought a new Heartland Landmark (Key Largo) about 6 weeks ago. I'm also the guy that has been having brake issues with this unit since I bought it. I have posted on this forum a couple of times about this problem and quite a few of you have come forward with ideas and thoughts to try and help. For this I thank you very very much.

The problem is still there. I live just outside of Daytona Beach, FL., I purchased my Heartland from Lazydays in Tampa, FL. Lazydays has been very good in trying to get me squared away, they even sent a mobile tech to my home to try and correct the problem. Everybody thought that all was fixed and my wife and I even got to try out our new RV on a 3 day weekend.

It was on this 3 day weekend that I found out that my brakes were better but still not working properly. I called Lazydays last Thursday and they suggested that because I had a safety issue with the brakes, that I take it to a Heartland dealership closer to my home.
I made an appointment at La Mesa in Sanford, FL. (only 22 miles away) for this Wednesday, July 6th. On Friday, I also called Heartland customer to see if they could offer any help. I was told that they took inventory that morning and after the inventory, everybody left for the long weekend. It being the 4th of July, I can't blame them for that.

About now, you might be saying...so what's the big deal. You've got an appointment at La Mesa, and they'll take care of you.
I guess what I'm whinning about is, that, my wife and I have never owned an RV, we've been talking about this for almost 10 years and we have our first real RV trip planned in about 2 weeks (July 22). I won't like it if we have to cancel it but I'll get over it. I really feel bad for her. She will be so disappointed. I won't bore you with detail but, for the last few years she has gone through some rough times, medically. I just don't like to see her disappointed. Our trip is to New Hampshire to spend time with family for about 18 days.

I've heard great things and I've heard a few bad things about Heartland service, (more good things). I'm just hoping that La Mesa can resolve my brake problem and I don't have to wait on parts that might have to be ordered and take days to arrive.

Ya know, as I read this over, I realize that there are people out there that have far greater problems than not being able to take a vacation and I don't want you all to think that I'm viewing this as a "end of the world" type scenario, not at all. I just hate to see my wife disappointed.
La Mesa will probably fix me right up. Probably be out of there in a couple of hours. If they should have to order parts, they'll probably arrive within 1 or 2 days. Who knows, they probably have all the right parts in stock.

Sorry for rambling on... like I said, "just venting".
I do want to thank all of you for all the help that you have given me in the past.
Rodbuster

danemayer

Your story sounds similar to ours. First RV after years of looking and talking. Health issues. RV issues.

We've pushed the limits on what you can expect from an RV in the winter, and are currently on a 5700 mile trip. Despite the problems, we're enjoying ourselves.

Don't worry too much about the possibility of needing brake parts. The dealer will contact Dexter directly. Dexter treated us well last week and parts arrived quickly. But the new shoes and drums required a 50 mile break-in, using the trailer brakes to slow us down from 40 to 20mph once per mile. If braking is weak after the repair, you might have to find a nearby rural area to do the break-in without causing a traffic hazard.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Rodbuster, I can understand your apprehension. New Rig, big trip coming and all the concerns of being a newbie. I did a quick look at a few of your previous posts and see good information was passed back to you and hopefully you've become more comfortable with some of the operational tasks of RVing.
As for the brakes? Have you determined the problem is truly with the trailer? I know there was some talk of the integrated controller not functioning while at standstill. I don't know if that's a true statement or not. Maybe when you get your Key Largo to the dealer this week, explain your situation, ask them to let you hook up to one of their trailers and do the same test. Maybe it is the controller...

When you do finally hit the road, you will always have good neighbors in RV parks to lend you their knowledge and assistance. Have a good trip and enjoy your new Landmark. You won't be a newbie forever.;)

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
We hope the issue will be behind you soon and you can start enjoying your Landmark !! Also you might want to go to the "Tools" tab and click on H.O.T.E.L. and download your Heartland owner friend list for traveling !!!!!

Rodbuster

Thank you Ray and thank you Dan for your replies.

Ray, to add a comment in reference to your post. I purchased a 2011 Ford F-350 with the factory installed brake controller. I realize that just because an item is new, that it certainly does not guarantee that item is working correctly. So, I made an appointment at the Ford dealership last week. I set up the appointment whereas I could bring my 5th wheel also. They checked out the complete brake controller system and found nothing wrong.

I'm hoping I get lucky and La Mesa tells me it is nothing more than a brake adjustment.

Ray, one more thing. I have noticed that you have come back to help me on several different posts. I want to thank you and the others again for taking the time. Your right, I won't be a newbie forever. I'm learning a little at a time but there's alot to learn.

Rodbuster

dieselsweetheart

Rod, I don't have any technical advice to offer you, but I do want to say how touched I was by your note and your concern for your wife's happiness and your upcoming trip...what a great husband you are! I know what you are saying...it's "only" a vacation... BUT, vacations and "down time" are proven to be necessary for your health and well-being! Time away from the "rat race" has been known to lower blood pressure...lower levels of stress hormones; vacationers are happier people in general than "non-vacationers", and have a better marriage!! How about that?!!

So don't feel guilty for hoping everything settles out so you can have that vacation! You deserve a vacation!! Yes there are people in the world who are worse off...there always will be....but that doesn't mean YOU need to sacrifice what you have or your plans...you worked long and hard to get what you've got.

And I think your wife is VERY lucky to have a considerate husband in you (and I'm sure the opposite is true too)!

Best wishes and hope you're on your way to R & R soon!! Happy Trails!!!

bighorn3370

Rodbuster, I'm sorry to hear you still are having problems. If you have Dexter axles, I would bet the R.V. dealer is probly a Dexter dealer and should have the brake parts in stock. If they are not a Dexter dealer, I'm very sure there is one near by. I would ask that they use their in stock parts or parts from a local trailer brake house. The parts should not need to come from Heartland. I would also call Heartland customer service and ask them about getting the brake parts locally. This way, you will not have to wait on shipping. I hope this will help you. Have a safe trip and enjoy your Landmark. Remember, this is a small bump in the big road. Ernie

rustyshakelford

What kind of tv do yall use? Our dodge has the built in brake controller and it is terrible! Our chevy had one also and it worked flawlessly. Brett

Rodbuster

rustyshakelford.... please read post #5.
This will answer your question about my tow vehicle.

Thank you for all your replies.
Rodbuster

jpdoggett

Rodbuster
Vent all you want and I understand the flustration we have all been there. Good luck with your app on the 6th and also on geting to on Vac

rustyshakelford

Believe it or not I did read that and I guess it didn't register. I'm on my phone and have it zoomed in so I don't see the author and didn't catch your name at the end. I hope you can get it figured out. There was another brake thread a couple months ago and a member received new brakes and they had a little emblem or sticker on the backing plate. He took a pic of it. They were a more expensive option but the warranty covered it. IIRC he was now able to lock up the trailer.

porthole

Retired
I have the same truck. By far the best operational brake controller I have used.

Hopefully the dealer will get you straightened out this week. If not, don't spoil your trip, just take it a bit slower.
If it looks like a parts delay maybe they can work it out have the trailer worked on somewhere along the way.

And if your coming through New Jersey let us know, maybe we can meet along the road. We are not far from any of the notherly routes though the state.

Rodbuster

Woo Hoo....Just got back from La Mesa and everything is all set. All minor adjustments and I'm ready to go.
I wasn't even out of their parking lot when I called my wife. She was really happy.

Looks like we're off to New Hampshire in a couple of weeks.

I have made quite a few posts, asking for help because of things that I didn't understand or didn't know how something worked. This forum has been very good to me and I want to say thank you.
I would like to say a special thank you to the people who replied to this specific post. After reading your replies, I did indeed feel better.
I'm looking forward to meeting many of you, shaking hands and maybe even a couple of hugs.

Rodbuster

PS My wife is not home right now but, I bet when she does get home.... I get my first hug.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Rod, I am so happy for you and your wife. It's a bummer to by a great coach and not be able to use it. So now that the brakes are all good to go, get out there on the road and burn up that fuel so you can stop at all the truck stops for fuel and don't worry about nothing but driving safely! Enjoy your first big trip. Michael and Kelly

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
That's great news. Have a safe and fun filled trip.

By the way, how's the weather down in your area in January? We'll be in Clermont for a month. We should try and get together for a visit.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Hope you and your wife get out there and ENJOY now! Don't look back and have fun! Keep us posted on your trip progress! Think about a rally while you're traveling. Delaware in a few weeks??? If you're leaving on the 22nd you might just be able to catch up with us for a night at the Lincoln, DE Rally! Maybe you can get some of those hand shakes and hugs you spoke of!!!!

Rodbuster

Thank you "all" for your well wishes and kind words.

My wife and I really have a full plate planned with this vacation but I will try to get a couple of posts in to let you know how we're doing. When we get back, I'll make it a point to tell you about our adventure. We are both pretty excited about our first real RV trip.

dbylinski... Thank you for the invite to the De Rally but I think that my wife has pretty much every day marked. She is going to retire in a couple of months (2 months 28 days to be exact) and then we will not be on such a strict schedule.

dieselsweetheart... Your last post and the one before comes across so sincere, and for this I thank you so very much. Someday you will be one of the "hugs" that I'll be looking forward to....with the OK of dieselengineer of course.
On our trip to New Hampshire, we plan on camping over 2 nights. The first night in North Carolina and the second is in your neck of the woods...in Newville, Pa. at the Dogwood Acres Campground. Hope it's a nice place, my wife made the reservations about 6 weeks ago.

Ray LeTourneau... I've thanked you before and I'll thank you again.
As far as getting together in January when you come to Clermont, I'd enjoy that very much. Not much into "hugging" guys, but I would certainly like to shake your hand.
Clermont is about 25 miles west of Orlando and about 50 miles southwest of where my home is (just a little south of Daytona Beach).
As far as the weather, well, January and February are the coldest months in Fl. but, I guess that holds true for just about anyplace in the US. The good news is that... cold in the Orlando area and cold in the Chicago area are two different things. Ray, your average temperature when you are here in January should be "about" low 40's in early morning warming to mid 70's around 1 and 2 PM. December through March are your driest months in central Fl. so if your a golfer or a fisherman the weather will be great for you. I do both, so if your looking for a partner, let me know. On the east coast, January is just about about the middle of shrimping season. I've been doing some shrimping for about 8 years. Think of the "hugs" you would get if you brought some "fresh" shrimp home to your wife.
There is also a gigantic RV show in the Tampa area in January. They say it takes at least 2 days to get through the whole thing. My wife will be retired at that time (WooHoo), so she made reservations to stay at a CG in the Tampa area for a few days.
Drop me a line when the time gets closer and we'll see what happens.

Rodbuster

jbeletti

Roadbuster,

Happy you are finding the forum useful. Wait until you come to your first Heartland rally. Thereafter, your wife will alter your future vacations to include Heartland rallies along the way :) Please ask your wife to consider getting her own forum login and start lurking, then start engaging. She'll find there are a lot of ladies on here.

Jim