Driving the Mtns of Yellowstone area

Dave49

Ok heres my question. I am leaving the Black Hills of SD towards Yellowstone NP. Will be in the Yellowstone area around 3 weeks. I am driving a 2000 Ford 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel with 92,000 miles on it. Hauling my 2011 3670 Bighorn at around 17,000 lbs. I have no exhaust brake and have been told that I shouldn't try the route for scenery from Buffalo US16 to Woreland, then on to Thermopolis then on to Cody. Sounds good to me but another answer was that with the truck I have the tranny is the weak link and with no exhaust brake I shouldn't attempt this route. Has anyone here been there done that yet? Also my problem is if I can't do this route I may be in trouble period as far as out west.

I always figured if I used good judgement and started out slow going down these mtns. and take it easy I would be ok. My plans are to leave in two weeks, now they are becoming a little doubtful.

Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There are some serious mountains in that area but if you know how to drive (depends on your ability) and can use your transmission to 'gear down' you should be able to do it. The danger is burning out your brakes. Use common sense and you can make it. It certainly would be better to have the exhaust brake but unless you want to purchase one en-route the only other option you have is changing your plans or take the chance.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Dave
I was raised near Casper Wyoming and have driven the mountains around Buffalo, Sheridan, Cody, Thermopolis through Yellowstone NP. None of my vehicles had a Exaust brake. Of course it would help but not necessary. One of the biggest grades I found was in Montana on I-90 going to Butte mile marker 239. That is a good climb and if your going south/east you have a long grade.

The big problem with people going down any grade is that they ride their brakes. Use a low gear and apply your brakes hard in 5 second intervals, let off so they can cool then apply again. Don't worry about how slow your going, if others behind you don't like it just ignore them.

A set of books you should pickup is the Mountain Directory West and Mountain Directory East . I have both of them. I wish I could find a book on the grades in Canada. The grade going up to Butte Montana is an 8%. I drove it and did ok, but some of the grades in Canada, per Dave Bennington, can be up to 10%.

When you get to Cody Wyo stay a while and look around. You might look up CodyCarver. I think he could also give you some good information.

BC

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I live in Cody and make that trip regularly. Between Buffalo and Ten Sleep are the Big Horn mountains. It's a beautiful trip, lots of 7-9% grades. The road for the most part is in excellent shape and well marked with lots of pull outs if you need them. There are a couple of spots on the Ten Sleep side with switch backs but you will be given plenty of notice to plan for them. If you have 4 wheel drive you can use your low range to control your speed. The other option is through Billings MT and down to Cody. Several miles of road construction between Bridger and Belfry and it's no better if you go the Powell route as it is torn up too. PM me if I can be of any help.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We were advised to use the state hwy 16 from Buffalo to Cody. Nice drive but on the west side of the Big Horn Mountains was one pretty good grade. We did use the exhaust brake there but the tow haul kept the truck in low range everywhere else. No problems. Here is the
biggist switchback that I remember on the grade. Good luck.DSCN0960.jpg

hoefler

It has driven many times by many people long before exhaust brakes or even diesels where common place. You will be just fine, just take your time, drive sensibly, and enjoy the view. We drove from Sheriden to Yellowstone 2 years ago when the east side of the Big Horn was in gravel and very rough, took 3 hours to go 22 miles. But was able to enjoy the beauty that would have been missed if I was driving faster and concentrating on the road.

Dave49

Want to thank everyone for the comments on my trip. After many answers both here and another forum I just decided that I should probably invest in the exhaust brake for safety reasons and a piece of mind. Just another tool to make the trip an enjoyable one. Its ordered along with 4" exhaust and torqloc for transmission, and have a shop that will install it. Again, thanks everyone.

Dave

Somebody mentioned Canada having some 10% grades or better, I just came through New Brunswick around the Fundy national park area and found myself going up some rather steep grades with very little room to accelerate and then was rewarded with a nice 10% grade down hill with all kinds of curves! It's not that the elevation is high it's just the abrupt inclines with no room to prepare any extra speed. I was towing my 38 foot Big country 3500rl with my 2009 dodge mega cab dually 6.7 diesel with exhaust brake. One hill I had it between 1st and 2nd gear trying to slow it down!

hoefler

Remember one thing, the exhaust brake will not work in first gear. The torque convertor does not lock in first gear either.