Verizon MiFi Disappointing

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I thought the Verizon MiFi4510 might be the way to go, but I'm finding it's finicky. A few days ago, we were getting excellent connectivity with it. Now it can barely get a single bar. Fortunately, things have quieted down this morning at the CG and I'm using their WiFi. Heard of another camper with the MiFi that was getting good reception at the front of the CG, but lost it when he moved to another campsite further in the grounds.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
John, our MIFI does the same thing. Sometimes I just have to turn it off to reset it and turn it back on. Kind of like control-alt-delete for the MIFI I guess.

jpdoggett

John I don't have the Verizon setup but we got one from AT&T and boy what a joke the only place I could use it was in the front room of our house I tried it at the lake out around Lawerence Kansas and also down in Rockport Tx would not work like I told AT&T I don't need it to work at home I have router there. Good luck

porthole

Retired
John, sometimes you just have to pull the battery and reset everything. Which mifi are you using.
I have used one for almost a year now and been very happy with the results.

JohnDar

Duane, I've got the Verizon MiFi4510L. I've tried turning it on and off, but no joy. Even took the battery out once, looking for the reset button. Then I realized it's on the side, under a rubber cover. But I've not tried pressing it. The lack of instructions (I downloaded the manual when I first got it) isn't real explicit on what happens when you do that. Says it resets to factory settings, whatever that is.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I'm wondering if the system went down again?? On Friday it worked fine but Saturday/Sunday I couldn't get the MiFi to work at all, it was showing all 4 bars but just wouldn't pull anything up. I'm on it now and it seems to be faster than normal. Go figure? The whole system went down about 5 months again nationwide for about 2 days so I'm wondering if the same thing happened this weekend.

JohnDar

That was my second guess. Sometimes, cell reception up here is only slightly better than a string and tin can.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you got it from 3G store, I would give them a call. We don't have the MIFI but had some issues and they had me do a few setting changes and now it work fine. Give it a try. Michael

John,

I have both a Verizon MiFi (3G version) and a AT&T 4G USB (which I connect to a CradlePoint device). I have two different devices because when I travel for work, I have to have Internet connectivity in the field. The Verizon MiFi works 99+% of the time, but sometimes I will not have a strong signal. So I will turn to the AT&T device to see if I can get a better signal.

Up until a couple of months ago I had a Sprint MiFi, but I finally abandoned the device (along with my Sprint service) for poor performance overall during the past 2+ years.

I will typically use speedtest.net to get an idea of what my bandwidth looks like with each device.

At the CG, I will see what their connectivity looks like as well. I bought the wireless repeater from Jefatech for my rig, which I found to be a nice addition for boosting the CG WiFi signal.

I have found the Verizon MiFi to be most reliable out of all the service providers (BTW, I do not work for Verizon).

I have had to turn it off and back on every couple of days to reset it. The device would have a green light, but no real connectivity.

-Bruce

JohnDar

Thanks for the tips. So far, the Verizon MiFi gizmo is still next to useless. When I do get a connection, it's extremely slow and does not change pages well. I'm using the CG's WiFi with varying success. Sometimes it's quick and other times it's slow. But at least it connects. I spoke with the manager and he says it's set to limit to 50 users at a time so that it doesn't get too overloaded. But if the kiddies all have their toys on, bandwidth gets eaten up quick.

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
We have Verzion MiFi and it works GREAT for us. We have 5G.. It works even when cell service isn't that great..We use it in the truck traveling also... One thing we do know that is when you are almost to 5G, it slows up terrible, almost like one is using dialup...

branson4020

Icantre Member
We have Verzion MiFi and it works GREAT for us. We have 5G.. It works even when cell service isn't that great..We use it in the truck traveling also... One thing we do know that is when you are almost to 5G, it slows up terrible, almost like one is using dialup...

Well, I've heard of 3G and 4G, but what the heck is 5G?

JohnDar

I've got 5GB, too, and haven't come close to using it up. I do recall reading reviews where some swore by it, others at it. Seems there is some variance in the device reliability. Some have had great luck at first and then the device goes belly up. Could be lucky me. At any rate, it's got a 12 month warranty, so we'll see how it all pans out. I might try driving around and see if it picks up any better. So far, though, all I get is one bar on the display and next to no connectivity.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
John we have MIFI also! We have not had any connectivity problems and usually have great 5 bar signal! I use it while traveling in the truck with Garmin for PC and ours had worked very good! We have had it 2 years and sometimes have three devices running at the same time with no trouble.

JohnDar

I figured it was getting bored, so I took it into town for a ride to the grocery store (4 miles). On the way there, it sat at one bar, so I turned it off when I went inside. Came out, turned it back on and it went to four bars and stayed there all the way back to the trailer. Turned it off, did some chores, and turned it back on. One bar...

It's got the perfect shape to get five, maybe six skips across the lake before it sinks. If it weren't for the 2-year contract, it would get swimming lessons. Methinks I've got a lemon.

DW_Gray

I've had some problems with the Verizon MiFi in the beginning. I called the Verizon Tech Support. They were very helpful and diagnosed the problem. Eventually I got a warranty replacement on my first one. I have found the location of the device is an issue. I've moved it around in the RV a few times to get the best reception. One way to find out where the best spot is, is to use your Verizon cell phone and watch the signal bars as you move around in your RV. If you haven't done so lately, you should connect the MiFi directly to your computer to get the latest firmware updates.

For now in the Cyclone, I found that placing the MiFi up in the high window of the living area has worked best.

3Gstore

I figured it was getting bored, so I took it into town for a ride to the grocery store (4 miles). On the way there, it sat at one bar, so I turned it off when I went inside. Came out, turned it back on and it went to four bars and stayed there all the way back to the trailer. Turned it off, did some chores, and turned it back on. One bar...

It's got the perfect shape to get five, maybe six skips across the lake before it sinks. If it weren't for the 2-year contract, it would get swimming lessons. Methinks I've got a lemon.

It sounds to me like your MiFi may be bad as most users I've spoke with find the MiFi 4510L to be a very reliable modem. While you're traveling you could check out our 3G/4G 9.5" Omni antenna for a little extra gain on the go. I'd still recommend taking your device down to Verizon and placing it head to head with another to try and get a replacement.

JohnDar

It sounds to me like your MiFi may be bad as most users I've spoke with find the MiFi 4510L to be a very reliable modem. While you're traveling you could check out our 3G/4G 9.5" Omni antenna for a little extra gain on the go. I'd still recommend taking your device down to Verizon and placing it head to head with another to try and get a replacement.

Thanks for weighing in, Matt. But taking it to Verizon when we get back home next week is the plan. I'd go to a local store, but I left all the paperwork at home. Now that the holiday crowd has left, the campground's WiFi is working OK for now. I just really liked the extra security of having my own connection.

The antenna looks interesting, if I get a device that actually works. Curious, can that be mounted to the ladder and wired in or does it have to be screwed to the wall? Looking at your website link about finding the RSSI, I'll see if I can get to that on Verizon's site. Sometimes using the CG's WiFi, moving to additional pages gets to be an exercise in patience.

DW_Gray

Thanks for weighing in, Matt. But taking it to Verizon when we get back home next week is the plan. I'd go to a local store, but I left all the paperwork at home. Now that the holiday crowd has left, the campground's WiFi is working OK for now. I just really liked the extra security of having my own connection.

Just so you know for next time, you don't really need any of your paperwork. Verizon has everything they need to know about you, your contract and your devices on their computer anywhere you go. And any new or replacement devices, they'll send it wherever you want them to.

JohnDar

Just so you know for next time, you don't really need any of your paperwork. Verizon has everything they need to know about you, your contract and your devices on their computer anywhere you go. And any new or replacement devices, they'll send it wherever you want them to.

Boink! And the light goes on. I do believe there's a Verizon store in Petoskey, which is only 30 minutes away. Weather is supposed to be iffy tomorrow, so maybe I'll take a ride. You're right, all my info is on their website under our name. Thanks for the "slap," Dave.