Aux. fuel tank advice

trvlrerik

After 2 close calls in the last month I have decided to bite the bullet and get an auxillary tank for my F350. I am going to get a bed mountable fuel tank/tool box combo so I can move it to whatever tow vehicles I have in the future, and I am looking for some advice from people that have experience so I can get the most bang for my buck.

I have decided to add 50 to 60 gallons of capacity of fuel and these particular tanks vary in weight quite a bit, the lightest tank is 95 lbs, heaviest tank 210 lbs. I figure 60 gallons of fuel will add about 429 lbs. plus the tank. Since the tank will be mounted in the front of the bed the weight will be split about 30%/70% (front/rear). Does this weight have a noticable effect on the truck at all?

In the tanks I am looking at about half have baffled tanks, what would be better, baffles for additional stability but higher weight, or non baffled sloshing fuel but less weight?

There are 2 styles of fuel transfer, electric pump or gravity, I am kind of leaning towards gravity feed for simplicity of install and less maintanance and cost, but I am new and wondering if there is something I am missing.

I am looking at RDS, Transferflow and Delta tanks. I have eliminated the Titan underbed tanks as I have no idea what my next truck will be in the future, and I plan on keeping this tank for the future.

Does anybody have any input, as I am sure there are some issues I have not even thought about.
Thanks in advance.

rustyshakelford

For the money it's hard to beat an rds from northern tool. They also sell an install kit with the parts needed to splice into your factory filler neck. Gravity feed is nice but if you have a check ball failure, you can overflow diesel. I have had this happen to me. On my tank, we have a 12v micro fuel pump that pumps it thru a full size filter. I mounted a small switch in the cab that's illuminated when it's on. On your ford, you could probably use the accessory switches in the cab for a very clean install. If you go gravity, I would add a 12v electric valve inline so you can open it and close it when you want. Brett

dewwood

I know everyone's situation is different but I chose to use a 77 gal fuel tank and tool box combo unit. I have a full size bed on my truck so have plenty of room. I used a transfer pump mounted to the tank which is not quite as handy as having a built in unit. I can remove the tank from the truck just by picking it up out of the bed and then can use the truck for other purposes. I put a plug on the transfer pump and ran a power line back to the bed so all I have to do is unplug the transfer pump and the whole unit is ready to be removed. This setup works well for me as I use my truck for other things and need the whole bed available. I would also recommend getting a tank with baffles, the weight they add is minimal and they really help with fuel sloshing around. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Rrloren

I have an RDS 37 gal. tank with just gravity feed. The check valves that come with the kit to install prevent any overflow. I've considered installing an electric solenoid valve so I can start and stop the flow from cab but haven't done so yet, what I have is pretty simple and easy to operate with no possible electrical malfunction.
Be aware the tanks hold only 80 - 90 % of rated capacity , the most I can get in mine is 34 gal.

robnmo

We've got a transferflo 92gal with monitoring system. Definitely adds some weight but not enough that's affects anything other than smoothing the ride a little. It does take up room then after our 5th wheel mounted and we have a low profile diamond plate tool box at the rear of the bed. It's a full truck bed room enough for a cooler and some small items that's about it, but everything we need is inside the Cyclone. We just traveled from North of cincinnati, OH to the Florida panhandle and still have 40+ gallons of fuel. I might go smaller but personally I wouldn't go less than a 70 gal aux. Good luck with whatever you decide.

caissiel

I installed a 25 gallon tank up front of the full deeped tool box. Its only 5 inch wide in the box and it never has to come out to use the Box. I have a solenoid valve and filter on a gravity line. The tank has been in 3 trucks so far and its been great to travel long distance. I don't use it much when I am local because the fuel is the same price all over the province but keep fuel in it all the time so it will never be dry. It was build for a short bed truck but now with the long bed I hardly know its there.

rjr6150

Erik
I just ordered a in-bed tank from Transferflow the rated capacity is 37 gallons. Since we have a Pace Edwards cover on our short bed this tank is designed to fit under the canister part. According to mfg they have a delivery date of late July evidently this new style has been quite popular with them.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It's all pretty much been said above. I have the RDS 60 gal. w/toolbox, gravity fed. Love it.
Just be aware of sticker shock when you have to fill both tanks.

Peace
Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well this has been a very popular topic. Here is a thread that discussed the installation of Aux Tanks.

For me I like the tank I had installed from American Tank. I know everyone has a different need, I like the idea of having enough fuel to get me where I can fuel up without the trailer connected. My 45 gal tank is more than plenty. I can go over 600 miles pulling the trailer and not worry about stopping for fuel. I also have an electric switch which changes tanks on the fly and it also connects to my fuel gauge. Also if you check American Tank out they provide all the installation instructions or if you are around 930 North Highway 377, Pilot Point, TX 76258 they will install it for you. If you change trucks they will move it into the new truck, for a small fee. They have tanks are built to fit under a tauno cover also, as is mine. I have the Combo.

I really like the idea of electrically switching tanks and being able to use the truck's original gauge. Gravity fed, pumping and some of the other methods, I have heard that they can cause the Check Engine light to come on. Never happened with my electric valve. To be fair the only problem is that the computer takes a while to show the amount of fuel in the tank you switch to and they put an overflow line in that I don't care for.

Each to their own. Hope you find a good one for you.

FWIW
BC

jnbhobe

I have a 40 gal RDS with the gravity feed with a 12v soloniod in line and a manual shutoff too.I turn it on just after the guage comes off of full and the guage reads great including the gallons used, with 75gal I can go where ever I want and fill when unhitched. If I were to buy again It would be a 50 or 60 gal tank.

trvlrerik

It looks like the 60 gal RDS gets the nod. It looks like hotdogs and burgers instead of steaks for the rest of the summer.

Thanks for the input.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Hiafter the goshen Rally we found we have grossly over loaded our 2500 and thus are buying a 3500, along with that is a chnage of fuel tanks. We looked at the Triton. also the RDS. On the dieselstop forum there is a post regarding this. I would post it but understand you cannot post links to other forums here. google RDS tanks and look for the posting. It has to do with air lock on certain grades and the engine sucking air from the tank. RDS may have fixed this but you should read the post re= the support the guy got from RDS.

mountain1

I have the 80 gallon from Northern Tool and it is gravity fed. I love it and the additional weight is not noticed in my 450. I wish when I ordered I would have purchased one with the built in tool box or the L shaped one that you can put a tool box on.
On our trip to Mo. in May I fueled at Pilot's etc. and joioned the Pilot, Flying J club so I get reward points. I enjoy the truck stops because they ahve everything I need and can do it quickly.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
It looks like the 60 gal RDS gets the nod. It looks like hotdogs and burgers instead of steaks for the rest of the summer.

Thanks for the input.

I have the 60 gal RDS fuel and tool combo and love it. Cheapest price I found it was Northern Tool. They were even cheaper than buying direct from RDS. Dont worry about the weight, empty I can carry it by myself on my shoulder. The pallet they shipped it on weighed more than the thank.

Don't run full time off of your bed tank. Fill your tank and shut off the valve. The trucks computer needs to sense the fuel gauge moving. If you drive continuously with a full tank the fuel flow sensor knows your using fuel but dosen't show any usage out of the tank and throws it into a safe mode. On GM safe mode is orange light and fuel guage pegged out on empty. I found this out on our last trip out. Turned the transfer valve off and it fixed itself. I'm told that you can have it reprogramed for the additional fuel.

santafedave

Santafedave
I have the 75 gallon Transfer flow which gives me approx. 106 gallons of diesel. I love the extra tank because I can fill up at the truckstops and get a good price on diesel. Does add weight because of the baffels, but, they keep the fuel from sloshing around especially in turns. I have the system that auto fills the tank after my stock gas gauge hits about 5/8ths of a tank. I have had this system for two years and havn't had a problem.