DM2852 refer fan seems to be on constantly.

zztop

I just took my new fresh off the line (1 1/2 weeks ago) Sundance 3200RE out for it's maiden camp trip the last 5 days. The fan on the refer seems to be running most of the time. The out side temps have only been in the high 70's. The fan was even running when I went to bed when the temps were 55-60. The problem is that I am seeing the 2 batteries drained fairly fast. Is this fan needing to be on that much? If so, that is going to be a big problem. Can I rewire to manually turn the fan off and on?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The fan is an important part of the operation of your refer. But you may be able to do without it if the outside temperatures are moderate.
When you have a unit with the refer in a slide the air movement across the cooling fins on the back is somewhat limited because the air has to come in through the bottom vent and exit the top vent, both located on the sidewall. Unlike one that is not in a slide and has the top vent in the roof, allowing for a more efficient chimney effect of air flow.
I don't remember what the numbers are, but as I recall those little computer fans in there draw very little current and should not be a huge drain on your batteries. But of this I am not certain.
If you feel a need to rewire the fans, I guess it could be done but most certainly keep an eye on the refer temps.

Peace
Dave

GOTTOYS

You might also try one of the aftermarket solar powered fans that are available for the refer. This won't help at night but may help during the daylight hours...Don

zztop

A poster on another forum said it might be the high humidity heaters????.... and to turn off the switch. Could that be the problem? Where is that located?

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
you should have a limit switch on the outside top left when looking at the back of the fridge. has i think 2 wires going to it, looks like a shiny half dollar that controls the temp the fans come on/off. if it is not working or not hooked up, it may not be working. however, leaving the fans on 24 hours a day should not hurt a thing if you are plugged into electricity. mine have been on 24 hours a day since last fall. (don't help any, but they are still running).

zztop

The dometic owners manual says there is a Climat control switch under the refer on/off-auto/gas controls. There is nothing. Does anyone
Have this refer DM2852 that has a Clmate Control switch that would take a picture of the location and post it here?
I am baffled!

Thanks.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The dometic owners manual says there is a Climat control switch under the refer on/off-auto/gas controls. There is nothing. Does anyone
Have this refer DM2852 that has a Clmate Control switch that would take a picture of the location and post it here?
I am baffled!

Thanks.
zztop, open the freezer door and look in the top of the door frame. I don't have a picture handy. If you have this switch in your model reefer, it should be there. It's just in from where the door seal touches. You may have 2 switches, climate control and ambient temp control.

zztop

Thanks Ray for responding so quickly. There is nothing there, just the smooth door frame.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks Ray for responding so quickly. There is nothing there, just the smooth door frame.
That's strange, I just looked at a PDF of the manual for the 2852 and like you mentioned, it should be there. Have you tried calling dometic yet? You could probably put a switch in line with the fuse and the fans but it might affect the ability to keep stuff real cold.

zztop

Yes it is strange. I did call Dometic. After waiting for 8 calls ahead of me, I got a woman that read the same manual as I was reading. She said she was not a tech so could not tell me more...then she said hold on a minute and I was cut off. I am going to call their sevice center tomorrow.
I am wondering if I have some hybrid refer or somthing like the half donkey/zebra born today in china?