A president's speech we all would like to hear!

hoefler

Just a funny, didn't mean to offend anyone. Didn't know every one would get their panties in a wad.

Last edited:

Ellie

Perhaps you are not aware that Canadian troops have been in Afghanistan since January, 2002 and many Canadian soldiers' lives have been sacrificed fighting the Taliban. Canadian forces have taken a larger role since 2006, and are currently part of the International Security Assistance force there. They are heavily involved in rebuilding the infrastructure of the country as well as assisting with medical, educational and social needs. My Canadian army vet father tells me that Canada (as part of the British Empire) was involved in the Second World War long before our good neighbours to the south. We promise not to judge you, if you do not pass judgement upon us!

tmcran

Well , sounds good if we can live as an isolationist country and not have to deal with a world economy.

Geodude

Yep, **** off Canada and we'll just turn off your oil supply. Remember, most of your oil doesn't come from the Middle East, it comes from here. :D

Seriously though, that faux speech makes some interesting points, with the budget situation in the U.S. so scary. A little less expense overseas and those funds re-directed to the problems at home would go a long way to returning to financial stability.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I wouldn't pick on Canada too much, other than in jest. If we look at the tally, we've never had to give them foreign aid, rebuild their country after some hair-brained despot took them to ruination, or had to have weapons of mass destruction pointed at them (or at us). Most of the people are nice, even if they talk a little funny. Until the rag-heads got active, all you needed to cross the border was a smile. Actually, getting into Canada is still relatively easy. It's getting back into the USA's the problem. Now I lay my passport, military ID, driver's license out, and hang my FD badge/ID card from the mirror and hope the US Border Patrol doesn't want to see my hemorrhoid collection. :eek:

But I agree, cutting off foreign aid to a select group of s--thead despots for a few years would eliminate our debt in a hurry. It would also open them up to replacement similar to what happened in Egypt and Tunisia, and is going on in Libya and Syria. Who's going to prop them up? The Russians haven't got the money, the Chinese might but they're starting to sink under their own problems. Iran?? Even the Arabs don't want their money.

One of these years, we'll wake up and realize that the friends you have to buy are really not your friends.

danemayer

Ok, a few facts may help.

2010 Federal Revenue was $2.3 Trillion.
2010 Federal Expenditures came to $3.5 Trillion.
That means the 2010 deficit spend was $1.2 Trillion.
The entire State Dep't budget, including foreign aid: $51 Billion. Cut it all and we'll have a $1.15 Trillion annual deficit.

So we can be ****ed at other countries, but that's not the heart of our overspending problem.

Btw, before you blame the war(s), the entire Defense Dep't spend was $663 Billion. Cut it all and we'd still have a pretty big deficit.

And collecting more tax on corporate jets and oil companies and rich people isn't going to do it either.

But maybe we could ask the other 48% of the citizenry to pay something more than zero tax. That's right, 48% pay no federal income tax. None. Zilch. And many actually get paid tax credits (in place of what we used to call welfare).

Or maybe we could cut federal spending back to 2008 level of $2.9 Trillion (reduction of $600 Billion from 2010 level).

Just saying, railing against foreign aid may feel good, but that's not a very big part of our problem.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Ok, a few facts may help.

The entire State Dep't budget, including foreign aid: $51 Billion. Cut it all and we'll have a $1.15 Trillion annual deficit.

So we can be ****ed at other countries, but that's not the heart of our overspending problem.

Btw, before you blame the war(s), the entire Defense Dep't spend was $663 Billion. Cut it all and we'd still have a pretty big deficit.

And collecting more tax on corporate jets and oil companies and rich people isn't going to do it either.

But maybe we could ask the other 48% of the citizenry to pay something more than zero tax. That's right, 48% pay no federal income tax. None. Zilch. And many actually get paid tax credits (in place of what we used to call welfare).

Or maybe we could cut federal spending back to 2008 level of $2.9 Trillion (reduction of $600 Billion from 2010 level).

Just saying, railing against foreign aid may feel good, but that's not a very big part of our problem.

What??? You saying the evil words "FLAT TAX?" Everybody pays the same percentage of gross, no loopholes, so sob stories, no deductions, no forms that even the IRS doesn't understand? If I knew that, say 10% of my gross retirement income was due as taxes each April, no more, no less, I'd be a happy camper. And bleeding less than I am now.

But, the "feel good" from railing against wasted foreign aid is more substantial than anything we can expect from our government. They're too busy being perverts.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
How about doing away with income tax and implementing a federal sales tax. Everyone would pay taxes according to their spending. The rich spend more therefore they would pay more, the poor spend less (cause they have less) therefore they would pay less. Would be fair to all. But our country was founded on the rich get the benefit. Remember it used to be (when the country was founded) you couldn't vote or hold office unless you were a property owner.

Rrloren

[h=2]Re: A president's speech we all would like to hear![/h] Ok, a few facts may help.

If we save a Billion here and a Billion there pretty soon we have some real money , let alone the trend and message it sends.

Rmcgrath53

Small holes sink big ships. What holes you may ask? One hole is the killing of millions of potential productive workers and buyers of goods and services.(Abortion). The other hole that is in the fabric of our nation is same sex marriage that does not produce a human life. These are a few of the corruption in our nation. We could go on and on.Ron

Moose

When you spend money you don't have, live way beyond your means, up to your eyes in debt and someone stops the music and there aren't enough chairs to go around . . . . . don't blame everybody else.

I'm not sticking up for the French but I beleive they played a significant role in your battle for Independance.

The original post is mis-informed and/or ill-informed. And is not supported by the facts and has already been pointed out.

As your one true, good neighbour I take offense to the cheap shots at my Country. We are there fighting terrorists shoulder to shoulder with you and the other allies.

Remember what a **** neighbour we were when the skies over USA were closed on 9/11? I do.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I also think Canada is our best allies as well as Great Britain. And yes France helped us in our independence, however if it were not for us they would be speaking German as well as a number of other countries. I think the OP started this thread in a light hearted way. If not I am sorry about that, but I would like to see our elected politions start taking care of business at home first.

I believe Canada and the US are great neighbors. That said, everyone has the right to their opinion, even if they are wrong.

BC

Moose

That said, everyone has the right to their opinion, even if they are wrong.

I agree. Informed opinions based on fact are preferred.

Maybe it is possible the OP was just cutting and pasting anyway and wanted to forward this message more for it's theme than it's content?

Anyway, I will be feeling better when your GREAT Nation gets back to "making things" and people get back to work and you get out of this economic mess you are in. I know it will happen, when the citizens, not the politicians and bankers get things back in control.

My rant is now over.

I am pulling for ya as a Nation! That's what good neighbours do.