disappointed in heartland trailer

kyleigh01

boughta brand new 3585 rl last aug have had nothing but problems wth this trailes. lights converter widow leaking, ceiling fan rocking around, big hole in the floor, wirig problems, took it back t the deal got some of it fixed they went to fix the floor and made it 100 times worse.. now they are telling me that in oreder to fix it right that they need to keep my trailer witch i live in full time for 5 to 7 days and i have to pay for a hotel at 90.00 a day for them to try to fix this right after they made it worse and the dealer told me that this was broken at the factor dont think this right. heartland should be pickng up the bill for the hotel ince it was the factor that did this to my trail

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
kyleigh01, I was wondering if you have ever called Heartland Customer Service? You had made a couple posts several months ago and it was suggested you call Heartland. I understand it's hard to have work done on a rig you're living in but I guarantee you I can find a motel anywhere for a lot less than $90.
Call Heartland before it's too late...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Seems to me if the dealer screwed up the original repair they should be picking up the bill for the hotel.

kyleigh01

Yes I've called customer service and get the run around call this person they can't do anything pushed off to someone else or just don't get called back from people at all

kyleigh01

For one I have three dogs for two am in a town that big on tourist the cheapest room here is 60 plus 10th per dog u bring in per night

Bobby A

boughta brand new 3585 rl last aug have had nothing but problems wth this trailes. lights converter widow leaking, ceiling fan rocking around, big hole in the floor, wirig problems, took it back t the deal got some of it fixed they went to fix the floor and made it 100 times worse.. now they are telling me that in oreder to fix it right that they need to keep my trailer witch i live in full time for 5 to 7 days and i have to pay for a hotel at 90.00 a day for them to try to fix this right after they made it worse and the dealer told me that this was broken at the factor dont think this right. heartland should be pickng up the bill for the hotel ince it was the factor that did this to my trail

I send you a PM, did you receive it ?? I may be able to help if you reply to my PM
Bobby A

nangeo

I feel for you....I too, am extremely disappointed in my 2011 5th wheel...I have taken it out once, and several items did not work...Now they want 10,000 bucks to replace the rubber roof which is split at seams, and they say my cloth cover did it!! Anyone else heard of such nonsense???

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you have to foot the bill, there are alternatives. Below is something I copied from RV.Net.

I had a tree limb abrade a line about 1/2 the length of my 38ft new Montana. Probably 15-20 small holes/tears (1/16 to 1 inch). Used a roll of 6" wide EPDM tape and a bottle of EPDM cleaner/primer. After careful cleaning/priming, used the tape over the entire abraded section (about 20 feet). Then I used a $50 can of EPDM paint from Camping world and painted over the patch and onto the old EPDM for about 6" of overlap in all directions. Did two coats of the EPDM tape and I'm confident it will last the life of the roof. Total cost (less than $200 including the tape, primer, and EPDM paint.

Hope this helps some.

Peace
Dave

Bobby A

I feel for you....I too, am extremely disappointed in my 2011 5th wheel...I have taken it out once, and several items did not work...Now they want 10,000 bucks to replace the rubber roof which is split at seams, and they say my cloth cover did it!! Anyone else heard of such nonsense???

Have you talked to customer service ?? and sent pics ?? Heartland has the best customer service in the business, if it was wronged by them, they will make good.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader

Just curious, but where do you have seams on the rubber roof? Most I've seen are seamless except for the front and rear cap? Most complete roof replacements should only be in the $4,000 to $7K range.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
nangeo, out of curiosity, what model is your 5th wheel?

jimtoo

Who did you talk to,,, dealer or Heartland Customer Service??? You were ask a question before and did not reply. So I am asking again. Also,, I do not think your roof has any seams in it.. It is one piece,,, and if your cover did rub it on the sides and cause it to tear.... it certainly is not the fault of Heartland.. I think you should be blaming your self or the manufacture of the cover you used due to poor fit or your poor installation... covers are used all the time with no problems.

Jim M

jpdoggett

Who did you talk to,,, dealer or Heartland Customer Service??? You were ask a question before and did not reply. So I am asking again. Also,, I do not think your roof has any seams in it.. It is one piece,,, and if your cover did rub it on the sides and cause it to tear.... it certainly is not the fault of Heartland.. I think you should be blaming your self or the manufacture of the cover you used due to poor fit or your poor installation... covers are used all the time with no problems.

Jim M
Jimtoo
I agree I have a friend that got a cover from CW and it rubbed on the roof of his and his roof had to be repaired but that is not HL fault and I just went through that factory and the roof is all one piece front to back and side to side with a lot of over hang front and back

GOTTOYS

Typical rubber roof replacement is around $150.00 per lineal foot. 36 ft RV should be around $5400.00 Better get a new estimate...Don

tommigb2

I agree with you. I bought a new Bighorn in April and have only been able to use it three days. On our initial trip (shakedown cruise) the microwave would not work and rather than replace it, they are going to order parts....it was never used. Parts won't be in until the 29th of July. The furnace was miswired, the bedroom door would not close, there was a major water leak in the front storage container, and several lesser issues. At this point, I would not recommend a Heartland RV to anyone.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Tommigb2, sounds like your beef should be with your dealer. Those things should have been checked, cought and repaired by them if they did a proper PDI. Guess they didn't.

Peace
Dave

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Not that defects should be acceptable to the consumer, but we've had several 2010 and 2011 models on our lot for repair. We don't sell RV's, only fix them. Very few of them are Heartland and in every single instance, the consumer failed to demand a thorough PDI from their dealer.
I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but it just breaks my heart that someone can spend so much for what should be a fun adventure, and then deal with problem after problem. Let me be really clear.

1. Your dealer should have your unit hooked up to water and power when you inspect it.
2. Your dealer should walk you through every operation of your appliances and equipment.
3. Your dealer should note any deficiencies and make prompt correction, or an agreed upon time frame for any noted repairs.
4. It does NOT (99.9% of the time) take 4 weeks to get parts. We're not even a Heartland dealer and we get our stuff usually in a week.
5. Do NOT take delivery unless everything is to your complete satisfaction. It's YOUR hard-earned money, not theirs.

The consumer should...
1. Open every door, run every faucet, turn on every appliance, and check for proper operation and leaks. Do NOT trust them when they tell you that they checked everything out. A few actually do, most would rather bill the company for repairs after the fact.

For what it's worth, we like dealing with Heartland so much that the owner's son has a new Cyclone being built this week. That decision was mostly based on our own experiences with the Heartland quality and the ease of dealing with the factory for repair issues. And we're not even a dealer.

PhotoPete

Not that defects should be acceptable to the consumer, but we've had several 2010 and 2011 models on our lot for repair. We don't sell RV's, only fix them. Very few of them are Heartland and in every single instance, the consumer failed to demand a thorough PDI from their dealer.
I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but it just breaks my heart that someone can spend so much for what should be a fun adventure, and then deal with problem after problem. Let me be really clear.

1. Your dealer should have your unit hooked up to water and power when you inspect it.
2. Your dealer should walk you through every operation of your appliances and equipment.
3. Your dealer should note any deficiencies and make prompt correction, or an agreed upon time frame for any noted repairs.
4. It does NOT (99.9% of the time) take 4 weeks to get parts. We're not even a Heartland dealer and we get our stuff usually in a week.
5. Do NOT take delivery unless everything is to your complete satisfaction. It's YOUR hard-earned money, not theirs.

The consumer should...
1. Open every door, run every faucet, turn on every appliance, and check for proper operation and leaks. Do NOT trust them when they tell you that they checked everything out. A few actually do, most would rather bill the company for repairs after the fact.

For what it's worth, we like dealing with Heartland so much that the owner's son has a new Cyclone being built this week. That decision was mostly based on our own experiences with the Heartland quality and the ease of dealing with the factory for repair issues. And we're not even a dealer.

Thanks for the input. These are good things to keep in mind when purchasing a new rig.

PhotoPete

aquiring signal

Our one-month-old 2011 3585RL had damage that our dealer could not repair. Heartland wanted the trailer sent back to the factory in Indiana fix it. We live full time in our rig. I asked Heartland to pay for my hotel, they told me they don't do that. We spent 2 months in a hotel waiting for our new rig to be built & I paid for it out of my pocket. Don't let this happen to you. Check to see if your insurance company offers this coverage. If they don't, consider a different insurance company.