Question for 3210 owners ...

Lizn8r

What do you tow your rigs with? And are you comfortable pulling them?

I have totally fallen in love with the 3210 and am almost positive I will own one by the middle of this summer. My only fear (more than likely due to the fact that I am a total 5th wheel noob) is that my tow vehicle will be stretched to the max by the rig. Without getting into all the weight numbers and calculations, I've got about 3000lbs left for stuff in the TH before I max out the GCVWR (truck and rig)of my TV. 2 bikes that have to come with us, that leaves 1700lbs. I won't fill up on liquids until I get close to my destination, so I save some weight there. Now, being that I am a newbie, is it possible to put more than 1700 lbs of "normal" camping gear into a rig? Pots, pans kitchen stuff, linens, etc ... surely to God this can't add up to 1700lbs, can it?

You can see that I am trying to convince myself that I have enough truck for the 3210 ... I just bought the '08 F350 three weeks ago, after trading in an '07 F150 I had purchased just 2 weeks prior to that. My Ford salesman can put his kid in state college with the commission he made off me in a month ... If I go back now for the F450, it'll be Harvard or Yale for him!!

So, please calm my fears and let me know that I'll be fine with the 3210. Or tell me that I'm out of my gourd for thinking I will be safe. Either way, towing info coming from current owners is much more believable than anything coming from a dealer!

Thanks,
Liz

jimtoo

Without going into all the figures, a 3210 dry is listed at about 11,000#.
I can see no reason that you would need anything more than what you have to drag that thing around.

My BH3055RL is grossing right at 14,000# ready to camp and my GMC does not even know its back there. None Of course yours is a Ford, so you would probably feel it a little.:D

Jim

Loco

Liz,
We have the 3795 which is a good bit bigger than the 3210. But we pull it with a 06 F-350 4x4 DRW,crew cab,Larit, Tow Boss and it pulls it great. The trailer pulls like a dream.We have it loaded with everything from Harley mugs,Black plates,Glasses,ect,Lot of things for the out side of the camper like folding chairs,Coleman travel grill,lights,a tent for over flow friends,towels,ect. Our rig is 12320lbs empty. it came in at 15226lbs with no bikes in it. Add two Harleys @ 613lbs each in the back and two big coolers with ice and beer,cokes,bottled water,food,ect. We are pushing 16500-17000 with it fully loaded.The last trip we made fully loaded the whole rig (truck, loaded trailer,bikes,4 adults in the truck) weighed in at 24,480lbs.You should be able to pull your rig with a F-350 with no trouble. The daullys just handle better with this size rig.

Jett

Lizn8r,

I tow my 3210 with a 06 2500 Dodge short-bed extended cab (diesel) . We haul 2 Harleys in the garage. It tows and stops just fine. I did add a set of air-bags and installed some good Rancho shocks to reduce some of the "bounce" that I got when I crossed some rough bridges on the interstate. Your dually will do just fine -- even if it is a Ford.

Jett

Lizn8r

Jett,

Yep, it's a Ford ... and my bike is a Victory ... the other (and best:D ) American motorcycle ...LOL!!

Liz

Lizn8r

And by the way ... thanks for the reassurances. It's fantastic to be able to get answers from actual owners rather than relying on dealer info. More aces for Heartland!

Liz

Jett

Liz,

Glad to help. Although I've towed other heavy 5th wheels with an older Dodge 2500 that I had, I was still concerned about my new 2500's ability to tow and stop the 3210 adequately. I haven't towed it in any significant hills yet, but I'm comfortable now that it is OK. I'll probably eventually install an exhaust brake -- just because I like the feeling of security that they provide in really mountainous areas, but it definitely isn't a necessity.

Dealers generally aren't any help. Most of them will tell you your truck will handle the largest (most expensive) thing they have on their lot.

BTW: The Victory Vegas 8-ball is one bad looking bike -- NOTHING wrong with it -- once you throw away those UGLY pipes!

Jett

madigand

I have a 3670. I tow with 07 F-350 DRW and extremely happy. The whole rig and truck weighs in at 25,100 lbs. After leaving Tennessee and heading to Beaver ,Utah and lots of hills and 6% grades; I can attest really happy with set-up. When we left New Mexico we were bucking 20 to 30mph head winds with gusts up to 50mph. Felt very solid although mileage dropped to around 9mpg. We generally average around 11 to 12 mpg towing. JMHO

Loco

We have not gotten a TRUE hitch weight as of date. Just have not had the time or scales to get it I have weighed the trailer loaded and unloaded on the scales unhooked. But have not gotten to do the hitch wieght

Wallaby

Lizn8r

I too am interested in that coach, and have an 06 F350 SRW PSD. I posted that same question over in another Forum (I have seen you post there too). Do a search and see the responses.

That said, the overall consensus was it is enough truck , but at the upper limits loaded. Go for it.