Considering M21 Edge

frano

We presently have a 2008 T@DA and are beginning to shop for a little larger trailer. The T@DA is a super trailer complete with good quality, funky styling, Cool Cat air conditioner/heat pump, and the greatest windows we've seen in a camper. We're interested in the M21 since it has a queen bed running with the length of the trailer, lightweight (we're towing with a Tacoma rated for 6500 Lbs), a more useable bathroom/shower arrangement, similiar windows, and a more user friendly awning. I've been reading some posts and have seen references to broken frames/welds, and leaking issues. I'm looking for honest opinions of the M21 from folks on the forum who own/use the M21. Thanks in advance. Fran

jimtoo

Hi frano,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure you will get some answers soon from other owners. I am moving this to the Edge area also.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

PhotoPete

Fran, I just purchased one. So far so good. I have been over almost every square inch of the rig, and it looks to be put together as good as I might hope for. Don't get me wrong, there is always room for improvement but mine appears to be good to go. I do have problems with the Dometic Refrigerator. It's only holding about 40-43 degrees on a calibrated digital thermometer during outside daytime temps of 80-85. Its a very frustrating situation, but one I am hopeful will be solved by Dometic within several weeks.

Your tow vehicle should have no trouble with this rig fully loaded. I am running a Honda Ridgeline, rated to 5000 pounds, but it really is a poor tow vehicle at the upper end of the range, particularly if you have any hills.

I guess I could let you know in a year or two how this M21 has held up, but hopefully you have spent that time camping and enjoying your new trailer.

Good Luck

PhotoPete

Yellowreef

Fran, I have an Edge M18. Ive had no issues with any mechanical components, plumbing, wiring, appliances, ect. There were a couple of things regarding cabinets doors, drawers and shelving which were promptly fixed pre-delivery or under warranty. Trailers of any brand will have issues, but in doing research I have found that my Edge is way better built than most. I have also found that Heartland will not hesitate to fix any issues that might arise or anything that you dont feel is right regardless of how "small" of an item it might be.

pegmikef

I had a 2011 M21 for several months, but it turned out to be too small for us in cold weather when we were confined to the inside. Structurally, it seemed to be well made and I had no problems with it. I towed it with an F150 4.6L with the factory towing package and an EAZ-Lift Elite WD hitch and it towed like a dream (had to keep checking to make sure it was still connected). The interior had some subdued lighting and high ceilings which were nice. The only issues I had with it were:

1) The air conditioning was not ducted and was pretty noisey.
2) The Dometic refrigerator was three-way (a plus), but didn't get cold enough to make ice cubes (the book even said it wouldn't), but once frozen it would maintain them.
3) The factory cabling for the Jensen DVD unit was incorrect in as much as the audio and video out cables were incorrectly installed, but it was easy enough to fix. I just had to remove the whole unit to get to the cables.
4) The plastic drawers were somewhat flimsy, but that was a trade off to keep the weight down since it is an ultralite.

All, in all, I thought it well worth the money, especially compared to some other similar models I looked at. I thought enough of the quality that I replaced it with an Heartland North Trail.

frano

We looked at a 2012 Edge M21 today and we're getting hooked on the Edge. Other than being able to heat electrically (with the T@DA Cool Cat heat pump), it has everything we're used to along with much more space, etc., etc. We'll be checking out a Forest River Surveyor at our local dealer Saturday, but it's looking like an Edge in the future. Just can't give up the euro windows we enjoy so much!

camr

Fran, we are on our second year with an M-22. We have had zero issues. Pegmike's post was very accurate and intelligently put. For the few days that you need heat, we use a small 110volt ceramic heater. The AC is noisy, but is capable of turning the Edge into a meat locker! For us it has been a perfect blend of weight, quality, features and luxury. All manufacturers will have some quality issues. It is how those issues are handled that is important. Best of luck with your shopping. Cam

frano

Thanks for your inputs folks. Today we ordered a 2012 Edge M21 in red. We won't know until Monday when we will receive it, but my Wife and I are pumped.

Last edited: