Furnace and Air Conditioner Won't stop running

DWH

Hello folks. Looking for insight or suggestions. DW and I have a 2012 San Antonio and love it. We've had a few issues but nothing we couldn't handle or that the dealer who services our unit couldn't handle. However now we have a very peculiar problem. We picked up our San Antonio in April. We have used it several weekends and for one vacation week. Here is our problem. We left our unit one weekend with the furnace on with the thermostat set a 55. When we got back the next weekend both the furnace (sending warm air) and the air conditioner (not just the fan but the condenser also) were running. Whats more, no matter what I tried with the thermostat, I could not shut either one off. Finally in desperation I pulled the fuse ( no breaker) on the furnace and flipped the breaker on the main air conditioner to off. This worked to turn both off.

The thermostat had an "E1" in the digital read out. I tried everything I could think off including tuning power off to the whole RV. Nothing worked. I called the servicing dealer ( sells Heartland, but not Landmark). He didn't quite believe that what I said was happening could actually be happening. He thought that it was just the furnace running with the fan of the air conditioner running to circulate the air. He couldn't explain why this happened whether the thermostat was set on "cool" or "furnace" or "fan" or even "off." He couldn't take my unit in for a couple of weeks so I continued to use it as we could. By this time the was no need for the furnace much so I just kept the fuse out and tuned the air conditioner on and off with the breaker as needed. The dealer thought that would be okay till he could take a look at it.

I finally got it to the dealer this week. He told me that what I described to him was indeed what was happening. We both thought it must be a faulty thermostat. However the thermostat checked out to be working okay. He was in touch with Heartland and they now believe it is a short in the wiring. I'm not sure how a short could cause what was happening however I'm willing take their word for the moment. If it is a wiring issue the dealer says that's not good. Tracking it down and fixing it could be very tricky. It could mean opening up the roof, or the walls. He is waiting to hear from Heartland on how they want him to proceed.

Well folks what do you think and suggest? One thing I am going to do is contact Heartland myself after I hear tomorrow what the dealer says heartland is recommending.

Thank you if you've taken the time to read this. I know there are some pretty smart and helpful people on this forum and I could use some insight into both the nature of the problem and the best way to get it fixed.

Doug Hoeffner

hoefler

Sounds like a pinched thermostat wire. Had this happen in a new build house. Had to run a new thermostat wire. Best way to test this theory, use some short thermostat wire and hook directly to the A/C and furnace bypassing original wire, if all works as it should, you know what you have to do.

WilmanJim

On our Bighorn, when they cut the insulation off the control wires they cut into the wires themselves and they were shorting out. I just pulled the T-stat out to replace with a digital one and cut back the wires and was more careful not to cut into the wire insulation. You might take a look at your wires. Just a suggestion.

Jim