New monitor now do I change?

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I bought the TST monitor at the rally, for years I thought i was happy with the readings I got with my gauge. Now the monitor says my gauge is out by 1-3 psi. I have 2 questions:
1. do I now change the presure every morning because the monitor says one tire is down or up 1-2 psi in the morning depending on how cold or warm it was the night before? When I check with my trusty gauge it says the tires are 110 but the monitor says 108 or 109....sometimes. It's making me crazy.
2. do I worry about 1-2 psi difference from the 110 it should be?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I do not worry about 1 or 2 or even more PSI difference.
How do you know if your guage is correct. I have four and each gives a different reading.
If I am close to 110psi I am good to go. My only concern is if it gets too low.
But this is just the way I handle it. Others will differ.

Peace
Dave

SilverRhino

I agree with Dave.......TPMS, in my opinion, are best used to let you know about a low tire or tire that is getting excessively hot. If they are all close when I start out, that is good......If one starts to differ significantly then I would want to stop and check it. ( ie. if 3 of the 4 tires are all staying relatively close to each other and 1 tire is showing an increase or decrease in comparison)

My system is also fairly new......I am still trying to determine what differences are exceptable........definitely it will be more than a 1 or 2 pound difference. Don't forget that the tires that are on the "sunny side" of the vehicle will run higher psi and temp.....that too needs to be considered.

Travel Safe!

danemayer

Hi Chainsaw,

I also bought the monitor at the rally. Early morning, before the sun heated up the tires, I was getting a TPMS reading of 105/106 on the RV, although my pressure gauge reads 110. I bumped the pressure up to a TPMS reading of 108 and figure that's close enough. I'm a little under max weights, so I have a little extra margin on tire inflation. I also generally drive at 55, giving me a bit more margin.

I think the cold pressure of 110 is meaningful at 70 degrees F. If I recall correctly, the pressure varies by about 1 pound for each 10 degrees of temp difference. So it might read a pound lower on a 60 degree morning. Then as the sun or road heats things up, the readings change quite a bit. Yesterday, on I-80, I was reading 117 - 122. Same kinds of differences show up on the tv tires.

The monitor is giving me much more info than I used to get by checking pressure in the morning, and feeling the hubs at rest stops. If there are no warnings from the monitor, I'm happy.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Thanks everyone, I guess it is a matter of too much information. I do notice that the sunny side gets much hotter. I have a lazer heat monitor that I use when I stop, it is usally close to the monitor temp.

jnbhobe

Hey Chainsaw; I got to go with Dave and Duane said. I have the TST unit too, works great

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also have a TST monitor. Since you have an Augusta, which is similar to a 3670, wait until you get all tires at 110 psi cold and then hit the road. The two under the kitchen slide will be several degrees hotter than the other side, and the pressure will probably run higher than the 15% increase (127 psi) they tell you to set as a high limit. If it's warm out and the sun is shining, you might see 130 psi as you roll down the freeway. And you'll be lucky if both tires on the same side have the same readings. I'd be more concerned with a sudden decrease in pressures after you've been driving for a while.

porthole

Retired
I also have a TST monitor. Since you have an Augusta, which is similar to a 3670, wait until you get all tires at 110 psi cold and then hit the road. The two under the kitchen slide will be several degrees hotter than the other side, and the pressure will probably run higher than the 15% increase (127 psi) they tell you to set as a high limit. If it's warm out and the sun is shining, you might see 130 psi as you roll down the freeway. And you'll be lucky if both tires on the same side have the same readings. I'd be more concerned with a sudden decrease in pressures after you've been driving for a while.

The rapid PSI or temp drop or increase is the key to be concerned with. 0-5 psi is wasted worry.

I have Goodyear G114's. I have seen the cold pressure of 115 go as high as 140-145 after several hours of highway driving (normal cold pressure for these tires is anywhere from 90-135).

Just enjoy the technology - it may very well save you from a lot of aggravation and several thousand dollars worth of repairs.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=137656&viewfull=1#post137656