cdhammer -- enclosed heated tanks

cdhammer

Wiki Submission Form
Article Title
enclosed heated tanks
Category
Winter RVing
Article Contents
We just bought a 2012 3450 big country the floor plan is perfect. We are planning to winter camp in Canada. The underbelly was spray foamed by the dealer. What temperature are we good to.When it is very windy there is a draft coming through the drawers that are in the stairs is this normal. Where is the getting in. Thanks for a great unit. Hope to here back from you.

davidg

We have a 2011 BH I don't know if it is the same as the big country. The problem we had is that behind the drawers it was not enclosed (and open to the front compartment) so what I did is to remove two of the pannels in the compartment just in ahead of the steps and with a few pieces of plywood put two sides and a back which puts the drawers in what looks like a box, when doing this just make sure you have enough clearance so that the drawers will close tight.
David

cdhammer

Thanks David for the advice.Ours is like yours. My problem is that i dont want my holding tanks from freezing in cold weather. Need to find where the air is getting in. Any ideas.

davidg

The underbelly for one need not have any cracks where it sags between screws I put more screws, if you put any kind of sealant remember one day you may have to remove the underbelly to do some repairs, also look around the spring shackels ours had holes where they had cut the underbelly to mount shackles, and in the bottom compartment I have a round hole in the wall just behind the electric motor that runs the slides which is used to manually operate the slides.
David

caissiel

We stay in ours in NB till the end of November, using the propane furnace and the fireplace. The only problem encountered till -10C was that the low point drain had to be protected. Now I have the valve located under the coroplast with accesible opening panel. Now I never worry about exposure to -20C. It takes lots of propane to heat the unit but we do that every year for the past 6 years. Our unit has all the water lines in front of the axles and the water tank on the axles has never frozen. We never leave any water connections connected when nights are under freezing and choose a warm day to fill and dump.
Trailer is as delivered from the factory with Double Pane windows. On the first fall I used 1.5" foam insulation sheets under the living room slides but last fall never used them, and it was as comfortable inside.
If you are going to use it in winter learn to winterize using air, I have used it for the past 18 years with no issues. Just need to reconnect the pump when ready to use the water.