Anyone Towing With A Tacoma

frano

We are considering the purchase of a 2012 Edge M21 and will be towing it with a Toyota Tacoma with factory tow package rated for towing 6500 pounds. We're presently towing a 2500 pound T@da with equilizer hitch and sway control with no issues. We're in hilly New England and looking for feedback from Tacoma owners. Thanks. FranO

Prawdziel

Hi,
I just bought M22 last week and tow it back home for 250 miles with 2007 Tacoma over high mountains in BC. Enough power to pull it but fuel consumption was almost twice than normal - I was going 60mph all the time up or down. I was hoping to get a little bit better mileage. Dry weight of my M22 is 3890lbs.
Enjoy.Prawdziel

RonBB

Your mileage sounds in the "expected" range, sorry. You can almost watch the fuel gauge go down as the speedo goes up. I tow a M18 with an Acura MDX & it's the same.

frano

Turns out the Tacoma pulls the M21 just fine. A trip to Southern VT and a second trip to NH last week proved the Tacoma very able and comfortable with the M21. Mileage drops from 22 to 15.5 while towing in these hilly areas, but that's expected. We're very pleased with the Tacoma and Edge combination.

PeternLiane

I have a Tacoma too. I'm getting weird answers from the Toyota dealership regarding the class of hitch on the tow package. Is it a class III, class IV or a class V? Does you hitch say what your hitch is rated for weight?

Zeman

2011 Toyota specs say Class IV. Normally ratings are on a sticker or stamped on the hitch itself.

frano

The Tacoma is rated at 6500 lbs if the truck is equipped with the factory tow package. If not, the tow rating is much lower.

hoefler

You can not go by the rating on the hitch alone. You need to check the load rating on the door and the hitch. Which ever is LOWER, is what you need to go by. You can have a hitch rated for 10,000 pounds, if the truck is only rated for 2,000 pounds, 2,000 pounds is all you can tow!

BillTows

I'm towing an M21 with an FJ Cruiser. Mechanically, its about the same as a Tacoma with a slightly shorter wheelbase. The FJ has a 5000lbs towing capacity versus the Tacoma's 6500lbs towing capacity (when properly equipped). For the record, my FJC tows the M21 easily. I do have an equal-i-zer for weight distribution and sway control. My gas mileage is disgraceful but that's to be expected.

This is exactly the info I'm looking for, as we have a 2007 Tacoma TRD Sport with the Tow Package. I've been pulling a 17 ft Casita (3500lb loaded) with it with no problems. I love most everything of what I've seen on the M-21. Now the question is.....are they making them or not????? Hmmmmm If not, why not?

EKW

RonBB

They stopped production of the Edge line in July 2011. You might be able to find one still on a lot somewhere. Best of luck. PS I pull an M18 with a 2011 Acura MDX with a regular hitch with no problems. I also used a 2006 MDX when I first got the M18 & it was fine also.

PeternLiane

This is exactly the info I'm looking for, as we have a 2007 Tacoma TRD Sport with the Tow Package. I've been pulling a 17 ft Casita (3500lb loaded) with it with no problems. I love most everything of what I've seen on the M-21. Now the question is.....are they making them or not????? Hmmmmm If not, why not?

EKW

Being from CO too I have seen some Edges out and around Denver for sale. I've heard that they are not making Edge anymore either. I don't know why though. The North Trail Focus FX21 is similar to the Edge M-21. Your Tacoma will pull that trailer through out Colorado. We towed our SOB trailer with our Tacoma, which weighed 5200 loaded, all around Colorado.

we pull the edge m21 with our Mazda b-4000 and seems to pull it ok, switch in fourwheel drive to set it up at the sites.

hans and carolyn