I 22 Memphis to Birmingham

mikeandconnie

Hello
I'm headed East next week on I 40 and need to drop down to Birmingham. I noticed I22 on the map. Has any one taken this route? Are there any issues or warnings for this road.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Being from the Mphs area, I have never heard of I-22. Most take Hwy 385 to Hwy 78 into Birmingham from Mphs. I prefer Hwy 72 into Alabama then Hwy157 to I-65 into Birmingham because it is much smoother and less traffic especially if your towing. If you saw I-24, that's a very long way around.

hoefler

They have been reworking that stretch of road for the past several years, I think it is going to be I-22 when they are done. We have traveled that stretch many times over the years making the trip to Talladega Super Speedway. Good road, gets better every year.

superduty08

Are you referring to Hwy 72 or Hwy78? I wished they would finish 78 all the way into Birmingham. The last time I traveled that route it still sent you the last several miles through town. When we go to Dega, we use Hwy 72 and cut over on 157 to I-65. If you take your 5er it's a lot easier ride.

Netem

Yes the old 78 is now I 22. Highway is good until last few miles into Birmingham then you have to get off and take detour to I 65.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
last few miles into Birmingham .[/QUOTE said:
Hw 78 is being converted to Interstate standards and will become I 22 when that is complete. Mostly a good highway in Alabama. Couple of rough spots around Hamilton. The highway between Fulton Mississippi and Alabama state line is a disgrace to state of Mississippi. Extremely rough. I am told by locals that you can take the new highway all the way to I 65 avoiding the through town component. You need to know where to exit because it is not marked at this time.

alageezer

Take I-22/US 78 all the way east until it dead ends, turn right, go a couple miles south on a narrow little road to the red light, turn left, and you're two blocks from I-65, at the Flying J truck stop.

superduty08

I just heard from a friend that traveled hwy 78 from Memphis to Birmingtown this past March. He said that he was very surprised at how much they have improved the road surface on the entire route. He also recommended following alageezer's directions to I65.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Thanks Alageezer for the directions on how to get to I 65 from 78. Will use that in a couple of weeks. Did you get a message about the Heartland Owners Rally for Mississippi and Alabama to be held at Philadelphia, Ms. in October?