It finally happened (black tank drain valve)

HappyKayakers

The last time I dumped the black tank last week something blocked the exit pipe towards the end of the dump. So, this week I spent a lot of time trying to clear the blockage from the street side - no luck. Finally tried the SanTFlush. Lo and behold, it was draining. But wait! Close the valve and it's still draining:( Now what. Drop the front half of the underbelly to see where everything is and make sure the cable is still connected. (Note to factory: I'd be more than happy to pull handles on individual pipes instead of using the cable actuated valves.) Cable still attached and moving valve, just not closing all the way. Take the valve out and clean the expected TP out of the slot. Also found the piece of plastic (pic below) stuck in the pipe. How the heck did that get in there? The black tank is ........ well, black. The piece of plastic is sort of milk bottle opaque. Removing the valve is a real pain in the neck due to the lip on either side of the casing. Still working on final adjustments, may need new gaskets. Would've been a lot easier if the drain valves were on the exposed pipes. Excuse me, I need to take a few more showers. It's unbelievable how much dirty water will continue to drain after you think the tank is empty.

Attachments

• Blockage.jpg
    Blockage.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 139
K

Ken Washington

Joe,
You need to go to the factory with this one! They need to pay you for fixing what I consider negligence on their part!

Ken

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Same problem...

Joe, I just completed the same repair on our 3055RL. Had the same type of white plastic cutout which was jamming the valve. I found that if you slightly winch the black pipe towards the rear of the trailer, you can get the valve out quite easily. I used a narrow ratchet strap and anchored the one end to the front suspension spring mount, and the other around the back pipe elbow assembly. Don't pull too much, just enough to be able to slide the valve out without catching the seals.

We stopped earlier today at Elkhart and R&S Specialties. Matt was very gracious to fit us in and repaired the gray water #2 cable as we could not close the valve. The cable sheath had pulled out of the outer housing on the handle assembly (which others addressed here on the forum). The best cure I read on the forum (short of replacing the cable) was to drill a small hole in the outer housing at the rear of the assembly, and install a small set screw. I may try silver soldering the metal sheath to the housing.

I was impressed with Matt and their repair facilities....and they are VERY busy.

Tom & Sharol

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I had the same problem with my black water drain.But the plastic piece was stuck in the hose end of the drain pipe. Also had the problem with the cable sheath coming loose from the handle. I bored a hole in the end of the handle a put in a set screw. It worked fine.

Scott

Whoa Ken - get the facts before you make statements like that please. One thing that the tank companies do not make excuses for is the fact that there are going to be some plastic cut-outs that flow through the system because of the different fittings and nozzles that they put on the tank before they even arrive at Heartland. Sometimes they end up cutting them too big, and they can cause a blockage. It's rare, but it does happen. That's what this piece looks like to me. At Heartland, we usually just hook the plumbing up to the fittings on the tanks - not install them here.
FYI
ST

ChopperBill

I emptied my black tank then put in about 5 gallons to flush it out and nothing came out of the tank! Real strange seeing how I hadn't moved. Told the dealer and they said they didn't find a problem. Have a feeling they didn't try to hard on this one though. Figure I will have the bottom of the BH before it is all said and done fixing some sort of problem myself. That white plastic in a black tank sure looks suspicious. Wouldn't surprise me at all that a disgruntled employee was playing a sick game. Not the first time that has happened in a factory at any level. (note: not accusing anyone just making a known statement.)

HappyKayakers

Bill,
After dropping the front half of my underbelly just to get the 'lay of the land', I elected to cut the underbelly around the valve handles and the black drain valve. Once I'm certain everything is working properly, I'll tape with Nashau select flashing tape. I would wager that I'll need to get into that section again in the future and it will be much easier to tear some tape off instead of dropping most of the underbelly.

ChopperBill

Mine has been into so much it looks like a med school cadaver! Wont have any problem getting close to a problem with my next entry. Just wish the dealer would have used zippers instead of tape to put it back together. ;)

HappyKayakers

ChopperBill said:
Mine has been into so much it looks like a med school cadaver! Wont have any problem getting close to a problem with my next entry. Just wish the dealer would have used zippers instead of tape to put it back together. ;)

ROFLMAO!!!

HappyKayakers

fishn2dmax said:
Scott,

Hummmm, It appears the root cause is not as much about the mysterious plastic in the black tank, but rather the valve cables that are of very questionable design or quality integrity. You also have a tank supplier that needs to be held to a higher quality expectation and or pre-install inspection. I would be curious as to what Heartland is doing to address the value cable issue and the supplier? What is the plan to get the issues resolved with the valve cable integrity? Hopefully Heartland can appreciate NO owner is going to be very happy with Heartland if they get surprises when taking the cap off of the black tank, especially if it is due to a known valve cable issue or large plastic pieces floating around in the tank until it either plugs-up or screws-up the tank valve-cable.

I'm sorry, but claiming the tank issue is the supplier problem and all you do is " hook up the tank" is just not the right answer for your business or your customer. The warranty avoidance cost alone merits a simple pre-instal inspection of the tanks to see if there is foreign material rattling around in them before installing. I would think Heartland is providing feedback and higher expectations to the holding tank & valve / cable supplier's ?

Sorry, if I come across a little stong, but your response to the tank issue seemed to imply Heartland doesn't take accountability for your supplier related quality issues? I know this is not the case, but it sure was implied within your response. :confused:

I have to agree with the above sentiments. Is there no competition for the holding tanks?