Problems with our new Conestoga wagon

Boca_Shuffles

To take our minds off of our current problems, what if we were to start a humorous (maybe even educational) discussion of what problems travelers had in the 1800's with their new wagons they got for traveling westward.

Sample topics might be:
- Horses versus oxen (speed versus towing power)
- Lifting your wagon so you have better ground clearance over rocks and boulders
- How to keep the pickle barrel from sloshing around too much
- Extending the tailgate so the old folks don't have to sleep on the ground
- New maple side rails stronger than pine
- Inferior wagon wheels being put on the lower line models
- How to keep snakes away when doing your "duty" out in the bushes

We could probably cover over topic on the forum humorously.

What topics could be covered?

:angel:

jpdoggett

This sound like a great idea: Like what type of cover over the wagon? Canvus vs cloth vs wood

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I would prefer to have the cover on mine 'arrow proof' to help keep the women-folk safe during Indian attacks. Coal-oil running lights might be nice too. Think I would like at least 6 horse power if I could afford it, and springs on it too.:)

Boca_Shuffles

Axles:
- What lubricant to use; bear grease, possum/raccoon drippings, pig fat
- How often to perform. Every ten miles?
- How to jack up the wagon. Okay to lift by the axle?
- Why does the wheel aways seem to fall off in the middle of the river?

rustyshakelford

If your towing the chuck wagon you must have atleast a 4 ox hitch. If you only use 2 oxen, it will not make it up any passes but if it does there will be a wreck on the way down. if you use horses instead you will only be able to go half the distance and use twice as much hay and be a danger to everyone on the trail!!Brett

Manzan

Re: Arrow proof cover for the wagon. Might be a good idea to make it fire proof at the same time. Never know what is going to be thrown at you. And tow hooks on the rear of the wagon to help with auxiliary (horse) braking on the way down the passes.

Boca_Shuffles

Horses
- Which breed of horses is best?
- Any use for all that urea that the horses produce?
- Do white horses attract more horse flies than mixed colors?
- What new types of horse shoes are available?
- What are the weight ratings on the new shoes/
- Are mares better natured than stallions for traveling long stretches?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm 5000 miles from my Wagon dealer, but they authorized Pony Express Wagon Repair to come out and do the work while we are camped out. I hope I gave good directions, there aren't many roads out here. Hope they make it to us before the Indians do!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I am just wondering what kind of ammunition I should load for the .44 Carbine. I do have a muzzle loader but maybe someone can tell me if I would be able to load it fast enough to keep us safe from the bandits and the Indians.

pegmikef

Help! I hit a big gulley and had two blowouts and I only have one spare. I have left a trail of broken spokes for about five hundred yards. Hopefully there will be a wheel repair station near Fort Concho, because that is only about eight miles away so I guess I will have to leave DW here and I'll unhitch one of the horses and go for help. I hope I can find an outfit that will make a trailside call.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
How do I keep the straw from coming out of the fold up mattress that the kids sleep on.
My pots and pans are clanging together when we are on rough trails. How do I secure them?
We are moving from Boston to Sacramento. I want to take the piano that my wifes aunt gave her. Has anyone nailed a rack to the rear of their wagon?
Also would I be better of with 50 inch wheels over 45 inch?
Thanks for any help.

Peace
Dave

rustyshakelford

Also would I be better of with 50 inch wheels over 45 inch?Thanks for any help.PeaceDave
Well you shouldve stopped by the rail yard and been weighed. That's the only way to know if you should have 50" wheels or 45s. If you are too heavy for the 50s you will have a spoke blowout and end up like those Donner boys in the mountain. Whatever you do, make sure they aren't imported from those chinese people. Never heard anything good about their wood! All they are good at is making railroad tracks from what I heard!Brett

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
What campgrounds do you recommend? We're tired of getting scalped everytime we stop.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Has anyone joined the Good Chuck's Club? I hear they have a good trail-side assistance program.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I don't know about the tom tom noise at LBH CG but the neighbors are mighty unfriendly and more there than u think.