Making Screen Door Safe for Small (Grand)Kids

wdk450

Gang:
I recently had occasion to loan the Bighorn to my son's family for a church campout. During our checkout of the Bighorn together we were horrified to see how easy it was for the kids (aged 1 1/2 and 3) to open the latched screen door and possibly tumble down the steps. I was asked to come up with a fix for this before they took the Bighorn out the next week. After considering several ideas including simply moving the outside door assist handle into the detented forward (travel) position over the closed screen door, I came up with the simple idea of adding a childproof, spring-latched, hook and loop door latch. I am attaching 3 photos of the install. Sorry about the poor focus on some of the pics.

013.jpg 008.jpg 004.jpg

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: Making Screen Dore Safe for Small (Grand)Kids

I like it! Simple and effective. Gotta keep the little ones safe too ya know.

SilverRhino

Re: Making Screen Dore Safe for Small (Grand)Kids

Great idea!

I take care of our 2 1/2 year old Grandson three days a week and I have been amazed at how "toddler unfriendly" this world is. We plan on taking him with us on another trip in a few weeks, so on our next trip, we had planned on going through the BC to make sure we make it as "kid safe" as possible. When our children were small we didn't worry about them falling out of the tent! When we finally got our first pop-up they were old enough that the door was not a worry, plus it was a lot closer to the ground.

Travel Safe!