Amana Stove/Oven - Is it just me?

welki

I've searched the forums and have found posts that relate to the difficulty associated with lighting the pilot light in these ovens, but haven't found any alternatives to lighting it (other than what I'm doing now - which basically adds up to an entertaining contortion routine, consisting of me splayed out and twisted on the floor in between island and stove, reaching up with my right hand to press the oven control while trying with my left to find the sweet spot in the oven that will ignite the pilot). I've recruited my husband to help, but gotta tell you, there's not much room to maneuver in that small space and I'm thinking the neighbors might be wondering exactly what it is we're doing in the kitchen :)

Maybe I'm just not getting it. Is this something so simple that I should've had a V8?

Also, as long as I'm here, has anyone surrendered to the desire to peel the "warning" and "danger" stickers from the backsplash behind the stove? They're calling to me ... "welki, welki, pull me ..."

Thanks, folks!

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
I've searched the forums and have found posts that relate to the difficulty associated with lighting the pilot light in these ovens, but haven't found any alternatives to lighting it (other than what I'm doing now - which basically adds up to an entertaining contortion routine, consisting of me splayed out and twisted on the floor in between island and stove, reaching up with my right hand to press the oven control while trying with my left to find the sweet spot in the oven that will ignite the pilot). I've recruited my husband to help, but gotta tell you, there's not much room to maneuver in that small space and I'm thinking the neighbors might be wondering exactly what it is we're doing in the kitchen :)

Maybe I'm just not getting it. Is this something so simple that I should've had a V8?

Also, as long as I'm here, has anyone surrendered to the desire to peel the "warning" and "danger" stickers from the backsplash behind the stove? They're calling to me ... "welki, welki, pull me ..."

Thanks, folks!

As far as the stove goes, that just about sums it up! It's almost impossible but I know exactly where to put the flame now so it makes it a little easier. Wondering neighbors for us too I guess.

We did peel the stickers from that area but just be sure to go slowly. There is no sign now that the stickers were even there.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Let the neighbors wonder. It's give them something to talk about.

I agree though, the oven is a challenge till you get used to it. I haven't figured out why the manufacturers can't add an electronic igniter for the oven. There are a few threads on our forum from folks that have added a grill igniter . I tried but it wouldn't ignite for me so I removed it.

Labels? Peel away, slowly.

SmokeyBare

My DW lights our oven (Magic Chef) by simply holding one of those BBQ lighters in the area... of the pilot light and listens for the sound of the flame burning. I have no clue as how the heck she can hear that small of a sound. I usually lean over, looking deep inside the oven and watch the pilot light.

One idea might help. Place a small mirror on the floor of the oven... looking into the mirror and reaching in with a long BBQ lighter... try not to lose your balance as you try to aim the flame in the direction of the pilot light... once it fires up, remove the mirror before cranking up the oven temperature. (Note: this has NOT been tested yet)

Marv

Willym

I think that it was the Atwood rep at the rally that stated that they hadn't yet found a reliable enough ignitor system for their ovens. I found this strange as furnaces, fridges and water heaters have had them for years.
I detest stickers and pulled all ours off, inside and out within a week of getting the trailer. I did leave the manufacturers weight, "Exit" window, and other certification stickers on however. A little warm air from a hair dryer helps get them off, but don't let the heat rest too long on the walls.

welki

You folks are awesome! Thanks so much for the info and tips. I really like the mirror under the pilot light idea ... asked my husband if he could find a piece of highly polished steel for the purpose (in case I forget to take it out, no harm, no foul).

And Bill and Margaret, I also hate stickers ... it's a bone of contention for me, especially on vehicles, and more than one deal has almost gone sideways due to resistance from the dealer to remove free advertising from a potential purchase. I did get the stickers off the backsplash (and had the dealer remove unwanted ones from the unit before delivery) :)

Thanks, everyone!

Last edited:

PUG

Pug
My ex 3950 havin a magic chef was also difficult. I purchased a continius spark ( battery powered) ignitor to it and it worked fine. Had to drill and mount the push b utton on the front and the ignitor inside.