Microwave Problems

During our first trip in our 2008 2900MK we had problems with the built in Sylvania microwave. The microwave overheated, tripping an internal thermo protective circuit. Removing the appliance plug and allowing the microwave to cool down would reset the breaker. As the microwave was overheating I noted little or no air flow at the top trim vents.

Upon our return, I removed the microwave in order to check for proper ventilation. What I discovered was the lack of any sort of ducting to channel the warm exhaust from the top of the microwave to the air vents in the top trim panel. Frankly, I have never seen a microwave designed for either counter top or cabinet mounting without additional ducting when the cabinet mounting option is selected. Further, the cabinet of the Sylvania microwave has four holes drilled in the cabinet top around the exhaust vents. If I were a betting man I would say these holes are for attachment of such a duct.

At this point, I do not know if a duct should have been installed on the microwave and mine is just missing. No microwave install instructions were included with my paperwork, nor can I find any for the Sylvania unit on the Internet. I did, however, download the install instructions for a very similar looking Dometic microwave and those instructions clearly show the addition of a venting duct for cabinet mounting.

I called Heartland and left a message on the service manager’s voice mail. A fellow by the name of Chris returned my call, but did not know if Heartland ducts their microwave exhausts. He did say he would look in to it and call me back. In the meantime, I am going to fabricate a duct out of sheet metal and install it using the existing holes on the top of the Sylvania cabinet. I will re-measure air flow at the trim vents, attempt to overheat the microwave and report my findings.

I note other Heartland owners have had moisture problems with their Sylvania microwaves. I wonder if their microwave units are ducted?

-Jack

L'l John

I can say for sure that my Sylvania microwave is NOT DUCTED! And yes, it does have the internal steam-up problem. My dealer has replaced my microwave unit with another Sylvania just like the original, but did Not install any ducting. All that with no improvement.

This is a follow up to my previous post. I fabricated a duct approximately 9 X 9 X 2 inches for the Sylvania microwave out of sheet metal. The duct was then mounted over the exhaust on the top of the microwave cabinet using the existing holes in each corner of exhaust cutout.

Results from my initial tests are promising. When mounted in the cabinet opening, I have good airflow from the vents in the upper trim panel. Without the duct I had none. I ran the microwave with 2 quarts of water in a sauce pan for over 30 minutes without a shut down due to overheating. Further, I was able to bring the water to a full boil without any moisture buildup in the oven. I then covered the dish and kept the water boiling for another 5 minutes or so. The result was just a little moisture on the inside of the door.

I plan to give this mod a good test over the next few weeks and will post again with a final report as to the how my microwave duct mod performs at the campground.

-Jack

lwfox002

Microwave problems

Jack,

Thanks for the post and message sending me here. I will look into this. I have some flashing material of thin aluminum that will work great. If this works, I will also take pictures and post with followup.

Larry

Elaine NB

We have the same problem with our Sylvainia Microwave..had it in our 2007 2800RL and now in our 3200ES...esp when we bake potatoes..and there is NO venting...having hubby ck this out thanks a bunch...

jpmorgan37

Elaine NB;

What we found to help alleviate the moisture problem when doing potatoes in the microwave, is to wrap each one in a paper towel. This results in a nicely baked potato and no moisture in the microwave. Let us know if it works for you.

John

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Another alternative is to complain enough and have it replaced with the Dometic they are now putting in all the units with conventional microwave. No steam and 1100 watts. Popcorn Power!!!

L'l John

I complained until they replaced mine with another Sylvania, but alas, no improvement.
Kept complaining and they finally replaced it with a Dometic that does vent, and cooks fast! This done at the rally in Goshen.

Sylvania Microwave Replacement

We own a 2007 Sundance and like many others we need to replace the microwave oven. Like others there is excessive moisture build up in addition to heat. Twice this week the limit switch tripped shutting the unit down. I see that others have replaced theirs with a Dometic. I called Heartland and informed them of the problem, because we're still under warranty they'll reimburse up to $100 for a relacement. Camping World sells the Dometic Microwave Model # CDMW12B for a $119.00. The two questions I have are 1) Is this the right model & 2) Did it solve the problem. If any members have made the switch I'd appreciate your input. I want to replace it as soon as possible. This is a safety issue.

vangoes

I am now on my third Sylvania microwave. I complained and requested a Dometic for the third replacement but Heartland sent another Sylvania. My warranty is now past so I will obviously use this one until it craps out and then have to buy something different.

TexYa

Sylvania Microwave Replacement

Hi,
We just purchased a Sundance 3300SK. The very first time that I used the microwave, it steamed up so bad that I couldn't even see inside. I was very lucky that I didn't have anything else on at the time because I didn't blow anything. I didn't notice if it was ducted but I wondered about that. But how stupid could they be to not duct a microwave???? :mad:

We took it back to the dealer where we bought it and they told us that this was a very common problem. We couldn't leave it because they didn't have a replacement but they called in a couple of days to say they found one. I believe it's the same kind.

Now I wonder if I should call Heartland and ask for the reimbursement for a relacement. That Dometic Microwave Model # CDMW12B for a $119.00 sounds like a good plan. :eek: I don't want to keep going through this.

This is our only real problem :eek: or gripe at this time.
Will let you know how it turns out.

If you buy the Dometic, be sure your price includes the built-in mounting kit. This kit includes the duct that channels moist exhaust air outside your cabinet.

These units are designed to be used either as a built in or counter top unit. Built in requires a mounting kit. The kit number for the Dometic CDMW12 Microwave is 3109562.003. Add a B or W to the number for Black or White

- Jack

TexYa

I called and talked/complained to a guy at Hearland and he was of no help. He said that we wouldn't be able to afford their RV's if they put the good stuff in them.
For now my option is to go back to the dealer on Monday and let them install the same microwave and see if that works. I'm probably going to be very steamed if that isn't the fix. Will let ya know what happens.

TexYa

Heartland Sundance microwave problem continues!

Well, we got our replacement microwave... uh huh, it was the same kind and guess what? Yep, the same ol' problem again! :mad: Excess moisture between the glass in the door. Despite what the guy at Heartland said, this is not normal.

When we picked up our 5th wheel from the service department at Camperland (outside of Conroe, Texas) they told us that they tested the second Sylvania microwave... and it worked just fine, uh huh, for a full TWO minutes. How much of a test is that?

I called Camperland and someone was supposed to call me today. Nope, no one called, so I called them back. The woman from Camperland said that the only one available in black, that would fit in the space was the same one and that's the one that they would put in. She was supposed to call me back but nope, she didn't do that either.

I plan to call Heartland again tomorrow but I'd better not get the same guy with his "you couldn't afford it if we put the good stuff in it!"

Wonder how much complaining I'll have to do to get this resolved???

Brand spanking new 2009 Heartland Sundance with a messed up Sylvania microwave that so far nobody cares if it actually works.

Next post I'll probably start naming names. :D

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
Hey Cary and Emmett, I feel your frustration. I am going through the same problem with my Big Horn, only mine is more than just moisture, it is pure water running all down the inside and puddling up in the bottom when we cook anything. None of the moisture escapes the microwave at all so just condenses back into the microwave.

The dealer had another Heartland coach in the shop for the same reason. When the dealer removed their microwave they actually poured water out of the bottom of it when they tipped it sideways. My dealer is trying to correct the problem now but until Heartland or the microwave manufacturer.... or someone....recognizes the problem does exist, he is limited to what he can do. This could be a very serious safety hazard if not corrected.

Keep us posted on your progress, especially if someone gets the problem resolved.

Delaine and Lindy

TexYa if that comment was made by a Heartland person, I really hope he was just being funny. How does he know what we can afford? Very sad comment. Since the RV industry as a whole is going to have some bad times this year. We talked to a person who owns a large RV dealership and he said he will not order any 2009's until the 2008's are gone he will special order but thats all. And this dealership sells one line which as been the number 1 seller for the past 7 years. Our last 5th wheel had the Amana which was a Convection/Microwave and it was ducted. I will say our Landmark is ducted and we have't used it much, very little to be truthful. Its a Domentic. Good Luck... GBY.....

Since I fabricated and installed a duct (see my earlier postings) on my Sylvania microwave I have had absolutely no problems with moisture.

- Jack

TexYa

Microwave saga

Hi,
I wasn't very nice with my comments on my last post and I really hope you can't see all the egg on my face. :eek:

In my limited experience I find that Heartland is a very good company and we really love our new 5th wheel. I'm sure the guy was just as upset and frustrated as I was. I think many of us say things that we don't mean from time to time and then we wish we could take them back.... but once out, it's out. Sorry...

This morning Heartland offered to let us purchase another microwave and they will pay for it. I'm going to look into the Dometic from Camping World. Hopefully it will fit into our Heartland Sundance 3300SK. If not we'll have to have it modified.

We did have a lot of moisture inside the second microwave and it ran out onto the stove when I opened it. After an hour it was still hard to see inside. Both of them steamed up very badly between the glass, which was my original problem.

Good luck with your microwave...
Cary

TexYa

More on the microwave saga

Hi,
We finally have a resolution to our microwave problem!!! :D

We didn't go to that other dealer to have the microwave replaced again.

Instead I called Saturday afternoon and talked with a very nice young man named Joe French at Camping World in Katy, Texas.

Joe put me in touch with Kevin (sorry I didn't get his last name) in the service department and he set us up an appointment for 10 am this morning.

We drove over for our scheduled appointment at Camping World and we were early but Kevin began to help us right away. He was very friendly and concerned that we get this problem taken care of right away. Kevin called and talked with someone at Heartland and got us all fixed up with a brand new microwave. No charges.
Besides the great service we got from Kevin, we heard him with several other customers and he remained calm while trying to help with their problems.

While Kevin was getting the microwave problem all squared away we spent some time discussing all the wonderful Heartland products with Joe French. He is the nicest person that you will meet and besides that, he knows a WHOLE lot about Heartland products!

When they were finished with our 5th wheel, Joe helped us to manuver it into a back-in space (our 1st time) where we could actually try the microwave before we left. He stayed with us until we were satisfied and that everything was perfect!

Both these men gave us excellant customer service as well as several others that helped us in the store while we shopped.
We will return to Camping World for all our needs!

Thanks Joe and your team!