Help with spring hanger position.

gpshemi

Can anyone tell me if they're springs are all hanging from the same holes in the spring hangers and balancers?
I have them (from the factory) in different holes.

I'm currently looking to change the ride height and pin for more bed clearance, but I'm not sure if I should just move them all one hole, or make them all the same.

Thoughts?

I do have some odd wear on my front outside tires, especially on one side. I do make some killer turns from time to time though too. I know they scrub something fierce.

hoefler

All spring mountings should be in the same hole respectively on each hanger. The tire wear is most likely due to an alignment issue. Tires do scrub in sharp turns, unless you are turning one way the same way every time, you shouldn't get any noticeable tire wear from sharp turning.

gpshemi

Well after some searching on the net, it seems it's fairly common for tri-axles for the fronts to wear faster than the 2nd or 3rd set. So it's just time for rotation it seems. I'll double check the pressures as well.

I'm not sure what to say about the axle holes, but I think I'll use all the same.

gpshemi

OK. Back at this again. After our last trip across the state (250 miles total maybe), I can literally see the one tire wearing before my eyes. So...I suspect I have a bent spindle up front on the passenger side. The tire is basically shot at this point. The outer edge is bald. I've never been overloaded. All I carry is a 1100lb golf cart and regular camping gear.

Am I looking at a new axle? I'm having trouble finding anyone that will work on this big pig. My local RV dealer wigged out when I said it was a triple axle 40'er. They refered me to a place the next town over, but I Googled the store front and it's a little dive in a semi-residential area. There's no way this thing will fit in their bays. Even if it cleared, it'll hang out in the middle of the street.

I got two weeks before our next trip. Gotta get this fixed fast or I'll wear out another tire on that trip.

lwmcguir

Usually the axles are just bent and that is the way they re-align them. A large shop that works on trailers should be able to help you out.

rebootsemi

Unless you have a shop that does this kind of work??? I would probably just order a new bare axle from the mfg and do a quick R and R. Probably cost about the same as having your old bent axle straightened.

GOTTOYS

Unless you have a shop that does this kind of work??? I would probably just order a new bare axle from the mfg and do a quick R and R. Probably cost about the same as having your old bent axle straightened.
Only problem I can see is what if the axle is straight but the hangers are bent or out of position?..Just thinkin..Don

gpshemi

Threw a straight edge across the tires and the one side was clearly off. I had a heck of a time finding someone to work on a beast this big. Local RV dealers wouldn't touch it. I had some recommendations, but after seeing what they looked like on Google maps, I wouldn't fit in the door let along hang out in the middle of the street. Eventually I found a shop the next county over that works on them. They had no issues with it and ultimately I found they were highly recommended. They use good ol fashion brute force to straighten them back out. They don't bend spindles. They said that can put the bearings out of alignment with each other and wear out bearings faster than normal. You're better off correcting for anything in the axle. In any event, they were all out slightly (from the factory...they said they see it all brands), but the passenger side front, the one I was worried about, was out 3/8" in toe! Curb?? So it was fighting the other 5 tires. No wonder it was wearing out before my eyes.

In any event, it tracks great, and even LOOKS correct now. I had them raise it up on the spring hangers while they had it in there. 3 axle alignment and lift = 4 hrs of waiting and $360. I didn't think that was too bad really. Was very happy to pay it.