3800 db

soilmovers

Some of you know I have been wanting a Bighorn 3800 with 2 bedrooms and 1.5 baths. It appears we may get one. (a new 2011)

Some of you also know that our 3055 flooded last week and will be in the shop for the repairs.

I do have a question about the air conditioning in the larger RV's. With the HOT summers in Texas, do you think we should have a 3d air conditioner installed in the back bedroom? This 3800 does not have dual pane windows.

thanks,

Cindy

Last edited:

jimtoo

I take it your looking at the Cyclone 3800,,, I would for sure order it with the dual pane windows. I think you will need to get the 3rd a/c wired by your dealer or someone else, but in Texas we need all the a/c we can get.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Cindy, Here's something to think about. Portable A/C unit. I went to our local LP distributor the other day and they had an LG portable unit running in the office area. These units need to be vented outside like a cloths dryer. It was very quiet, and under $500. It would be easy enough to make a vent that would fit a window opening (similar to a removable screen) so you wouldn't have to cut a hole in the rig. Yu can take it with you when you change your lifestyle or even move it around as needed to provide additional cooling. The down side, they do take up some space...

rustyshakelford

We have a 3010 but have some friends with a 3800. I think you will need some additional cooling for the garage if you plan to occupy it. Were looking at a portable unit as well and vent it thru a garage window. We have dual pane but this is our first camper so we have nothing to compare it against. Good luck!Brett

TwoGypsies

We were getting ready for our present trip-in-progress with the garage full of grandkids, so shared your concerns with comfort back there in the garage. During a shakedown trip we camped in Victoria TX in late May. Our 3812 has two a/c's. We ran them both flat out and got the garage down to 68f while it was 93f outdoors. We only have single pane windows.
Now that we're on the road we set up a portable fan to help move air back there and the kids have been sleeping ok. The acid test is coming as we will be in Las Vegas later this month. I hope it works out & will post results.

soilmovers

I take it your looking at the Cyclone 3800,,, I would for sure order it with the dual pane windows. I think you will need to get the 3rd a/c wired by your dealer or someone else, but in Texas we need all the a/c we can get.

Jim M

Sorry for the confusion on the model. It's a Bighorn 3800 Double bedroom. This is a discontinued unit but it fits our needs. I guess we're in the minority. Could it be not many folks want two bedrooms or the size to haul around? over 39'.
North Texas has been in the 100's for a few weeks now and no break in site. It's all we can do to keep our little 3055 cool with two air units running.
I'm almost certain we'll have to add a 3d unit in the back bedroom.

soilmovers

Cindy, Here's something to think about. Portable A/C unit. I went to our local LP distributor the other day and they had an LG portable unit running in the office area. These units need to be vented outside like a cloths dryer. It was very quiet, and under $500. It would be easy enough to make a vent that would fit a window opening (similar to a removable screen) so you wouldn't have to cut a hole in the rig. Yu can take it with you when you change your lifestyle or even move it around as needed to provide additional cooling. The down side, they do take up some space...

I never thought about a portable unit. Thanks, Ray for suggesting it. Installed air conditioner is $800+

Netem

I'm sure there are good and bad ones but I tried an 8000 btu portable AC from Wally World. Said it would cool 350 sq ft. Put it in a 6x12 insulated cargo trailer 72 sq ft and it would not do the job. I think the problem is the big hose you have to run to the window puts way to much heat back in. Someone said its like a big dryer hose and they are right , no insulation on it gets very hot .

kkflstf

I have a 10k portable in the garage of my 3850 I use onhot days, works great. I just vent it through window, on 100+ super humid daysand both roof airs things stay nice and cool. In 90ish temps you could probablyhang meat inside if you were inclined!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We were getting ready for our present trip-in-progress with the garage full of grandkids, so shared your concerns with comfort back there in the garage. During a shakedown trip we camped in Victoria TX in late May. Our 3812 has two a/c's. We ran them both flat out and got the garage down to 68f while it was 93f outdoors. We only have single pane windows.
Now that we're on the road we set up a portable fan to help move air back there and the kids have been sleeping ok. The acid test is coming as we will be in Las Vegas later this month. I hope it works out & will post results.

We were in Las Vegas last July, temps in the 110s. Our two units could not keep it cool in our Elk Ridge, until after dark average was in the 80s, which may be within the specs of these units. We do not have dual pane windows, and the sun was surely beating down on us... We stayed at the Circus Circus KOA... basically a parking lot! Great location for the Strip, but no relief from the "city" heat.