Installation Washer/Dryer

Westwind

I'm thinking of installing the washer/Dryer in a new Bighorn that is washer/Dryer prepped. The only thing :eek: that scares me is drilling through the side of the fifthwheel for the Dryer Vent. Has anyone done This??? If so what steps did you take to do it, the rest of the installation doesn't bother me, just that.
The new Splendide 2100 is also lighter then the old one so that's a plus. On Sale at Campers World too!!

caissiel

I did the hole on my big country 2 years ago. The aluminum frame is close to the floor so the best way to not make a mistake is to start with a small hole and alow travel in all 4 directions so not to hit a frame member. I located an area that was not in the stripes so as not to change the looks. My unit fits in front of the 3in exhaust pipe.

There is a drawing showing a bedroom closet front installation. In the info section if I remember right. Mine was a side hall installation that required the door and frame to be removed.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Easiest way is to check the outside wall on a cool morning and you will see the aluminum studding plain as day...then mark and go from there...

davebennington

We had Camping World install a Splendide in our unit, I even gave them a drawing supplied by Heartland as to where to drill the vent hole. They still messed it up and drilled to close to a strut. they fill the gap with chalk looks like a 5 year old kid did the job (nothing against 5 year olds they could do better). I would not let Camping World work on a a wheelbarrow of mine.
My suggestion do the job yourself take your time, and you will be just fine.

Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm thinking of installing the washer/Dryer in a new Bighorn that is washer/Dryer prepped. The only thing :eek: that scares me is drilling through the side of the fifthwheel for the Dryer Vent. Has anyone done This??? If so what steps did you take to do it, the rest of the installation doesn't bother me, just that.
The new Splendide 2100 is also lighter then the old one so that's a plus. On Sale at Campers World too!!

If you shoot me a PM with your e-mail address, I can send you a detailed installation (Word document) of a Splendide into a 3410RE that another member put together. We tried to get it added to the Tools section, but I think our timing was off and neither of us had the software to convert it to a .pdf file (and I don't want to buy it). Unless something has changed, attachments can't be added to PM's.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I had a Splendide installed, and the installer put the hoses on the wrong way. When I turned on the water there was a major shower, and a mess. The end of the hose with the right angle is to be attached to the washer unit. The straight end goes to the water connection. It is clearly explained and illustrated in the owners booklet, but I guess even installers do not read the directions. It was a tight area to work, but made the switch and all leaks gone. Most important? My DW is very happy. Good luck with your installation.

JohnDar

To produce PDF Files I have been using Cutepdf printer free for personnel use
http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/writer.asp

Thanks, I'll have a look at it, Laurent. I looked at another program some time ago, but it seemed they wanted more information than I wanted to provide. But for now, millions (billions ?) of electrons (twice more than needed since I sent the wrong copy to Duane the first time) are heading to Porthole for conversion.

But, for the record, I did not write the procedure, I only helped edit it. "57chevyconvrt" wrote it, along with doing the photography.

JohnDar

OK, as promised, here's the instructions for installing a Splendide combo in a 3410RE, written by Jim Hutt. Thanks to Duane (porthole) for converting it to .pdf for us.

Westwind

Thank folks - good information with pictures what more could you ask for, the dealer is installing the W/D, he made us an offer we couldn't refuse as part of the purchase.
But I down loaded the information and pictures just in case I'm not satisfied with the way it is done. We bought a new 3070RL because the W/D will face out into the bedroom and the side aisle with the closed off bathroom.

Spelendide also makes a ventless model which I have, I think its about $100 more. Works quite well, but drying times are longer I think. Hasen't been an issue to me, load the machine take off for the day, come back in the afternoon and there all done. Haven't figured out how to get it to fold everything though, darn.

Willym

Spelendide also makes a ventless model which I have, I think its about $100 more. Works quite well, but drying times are longer I think. Hasen't been an issue to me, load the machine take off for the day, come back in the afternoon and there all done. Haven't figured out how to get it to fold everything though, darn.
Until now, I've heard only bad reports of ventless dryers because they seem to take forever to dry clothes.
We never leave our dryer running when we leave the trailer due to risk of fire.

Bob Vaughn

I do not like the fact that the vent cap for the plumbing vent is on the curb side and I have lost 2 in the past couple of months from curb side tree limbs......

Westwind

Loved the installation pictures that John posted, one thing that I didn't see was how the WD was anchored to the floor/walls/or whatever. I'm a little concerned that ours will do some walking while traveling, even while in "Timeout". On yah, talking WD not Grand kids.
Ours was delivered with the fifthwheel but just put into place in the pan. The pan wasn't tubed out (now that I've done some investigation) I know why. Nor was it secured.
Tubing it out will involve lifting carpet and opening up the piping chase that goes along the inside of the bedroom wall under the dresser etc. I'll do that when my wife is on a two week vacation in October with her girl pals. That way she won't have a nervous breakdown as I tear things apart.
Any suggestions on how you secured or plan to secure or think I should secure would be greatly appreciated.

caissiel

the ventless dryers use water to absorb the moisture in the air for drying, therefore use much more water, Ours does walk around while drying much more then when on the road. Just make sure your 4 legs are well levelled and all supporting the w/d. It sure cannot get away because the door frame has to be removed to pull the W/D out.