Maiden Camping Trip

gawelsh

We just got home from our first real trip in the Landmark - with Butch and Skippy on their first camping trip ever. The RV was almost perfect - the
kitchen plumbing wasn't tight and we had a minor leak and the plastic trim around the lift-up under the bed broke off. George put cabinet-type handles on the front edge and nailed in small finishing nails all 'round. It will never come off again . The boys were very good, although we want to come up with a way to fence them in under the awning area.
One of our thoughts is a vinyl skirt with a weighted hem - then a small
fence around the other 3 sides. Does anyone have a vinyl skirt such as
the one described ? If so, where did you get it? We may have to look
into a custom job....just brainstorming at this point.

Bottom lne - our first trip was a real success and the Landmark is just awesome !!

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
It sounds like you enjoyed yourself on the maiden voyage, many more to come. We show dogs and camp with ours and we use exercise pins to corral ours when not on leash. We use the lite guage wire ones and can add sections to make larger if needed, there is also plastic and soft sided ones. Check www.petedge.com they have quite a few different ones. Ken

timk

Congratulations on the successful trip, and the new rig.

We have found the metal folding kennels are about the best thing for us. A 16 ft section folds into a 2'x2'x3" package. We usually carry about 5 sections and that gives us a lot of flexibility depending on the site we are at. We like to have the picnic table in the "compound" so the puppy can just go out, and have a place to hang out. However, I am guessing our lil mutt needs a little more landscape than your Yorkies.
TimK

Attachments

• pita-fence.jpg
    pita-fence.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 42

gawelsh

That metal folding kennel looks just perfect - I'll go on a search right now. And I love the doggy lounge....:) THANKS ALL !

Midastouch

Congrats on your successful trip! I also use the metal fold up pen and it's great. I only have a 5 pounder, if that .... so she doesn't need much but gives her all the little play room she needs. I got mine at Petco, through the internet, delivered to my doorstep.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We do use the same thing as Tim K we just call them ex pens they have all sizes so if you have yorkies I would think you would only need about 2 to 4 foot pens they are easy in and out with the little kids they also have some with doors thats what we have.:)

gawelsh

We went to PetSmart tonite on our way to see Grandbaby # 6 !! He was born on Friday morning at 2:00 a. m. and is healthy and gorgeous...Tristan James Welsh...oh, the dog pen- I forgot. We got the 2 ft high version like TimK has - it has 8 sections, 2 ft each and should be flexible enough for our needs. We're testing it this weekend when we go back to Gettysburg for a 3 dayer. It will be so nice not to have to hold them on leashes while trying to grill burgers !!

THANKS for pointing us to flexible fencing - we couldn't see the forest for the trees on this one;)

madigand

Congrats on the grand baby :D . We have 2 of the folding pens from Petsmart for our kids (dachshund and teacup Chihuahua). They love it and feel very safe in it.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We have 3 ex-pens for our 2 doxies and one corgi. I bought the first one at our local kennel/store. I ordered the other two from JB Pet Supply for about half the price Petco was charging. I haven't checked their prices compared to the other sources listed here, but I'll check into buying stuff from those if they are cheaper. Thanks everyone for sharing you shopping sources.

gawelsh

We just got back from our 2nd weekend in Gettysburg. We put up 3 exercise pens around the perimeter of the patio area under the awning - approx 8 x 16. It was perfect - the boys could go in and out of the rig without any problems and we could enjoy the patio area without being tangled in leashes ! We went to a bluegrass jam in town on Friday nite - at a music store called the Arrow Horse. It was awesome !

The best part was a brand new Big Horn about 10 sites down from ours - I told them about the forum, so hopefully, they'll check it out. The wife said she doesn't use the PC, though. Overall, a great trip and we're CRAZY about the Landmark - it couldn't be sweeter. Looking forward to the Rally in just a little more than 3 weeks !:)

jbeletti

Lindsey (and George),

Congrats on your first real trip. You sound like proud parents of a Landmark :)

How is Skippy doing with travel? Are you bringing the boys to the rally. I am sure Ruby and Emerald (Emme) would love to meet them.

Jim

gawelsh

Skippy gets sick still - he'll go about 40 minutes or so, then he lets loose.
They did so well in Gettysburg, though, that we are going to bring them to the Rally - they want to meet your girls !

I sent you a PM about an hour ago re: volunteering at the Rally. Hope you got it, but if not, let me know !