Newbies picking up our 2011 31RED in a week or so...

This will be our very first travel trailer. After 4 back surgeries for the wife...tent camping is out of the question no matter how many creature comforts I pack. Besides my parents are part-timers and have been pushing us in this direction for years. What type of things should we expect/be looking for during our "walk through"? This is all so new, and we want to be prepared for the adventure.

The question also applies for the general maintenance tips that you find out from others or after the fact.....

Can't alwasy control everyting, but lack of knowledge isn't one of them. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

Jeffrey & Amy G.
Semper Fi

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff-Amy.G, welcome to the Heartland family and the forum.
Do a search on the forum for PDI. You should get the information that you need.
You should get a few replies to this post with some helpful information.
Enjoy that new rig.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jeff & Amy, Welcome to the Heartland Forum and family. Since Mom & Dad are getting you into this, I'll bet they will be happy to tell you everything you need to know about camping.:rolleyes:
For the walk through there are many things to check before driving away. There is a PDI list here on the forum and I'll find it and get it posted here shortly. The biggest thing though is to check for plumbing leaks and all connections and the drain fittings on the sinks. Nest is making sure the furnace and a/c function properly and that the thermostat works correctly. Make sure air is coming out of the ducts for both heat & a/c.
I could go on for a while so I'll go look for that pdi list now. Enjoy the new rig.

It was easier to Google it so CLICK HERE for a good checklist.

Last edited:
Thanks so much..not only for the PDI but the warm welcome as well. I have been doing my best to "pick" my Dad's brain on the matter, but in the end, their "tastes" out pace my checkbook. With that said, he is giving me a Hensley Hitch.... His best advice to me was to join some RV groups and ask around. There is a wealth of knowledge out there, so why re-invent the wheel?

I really appreciate your help! We are really looking forward to this new adventure!

Jeffrey & Amy G.
Semper Fi

jimtoo

Hi Jeff and Amy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

We are neighbors to the South of SA, hope to meet you at some point. But, like above,, do a really good PDI and enjoy your new unit. Your dad probably has lots of good information stored in his head from past experiences.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M