Frig temp question

tmax264

On very hot days (over 90) my frig tempature gets up over 40 the temp outside right now is 97 and the frig is at 46 anyone know if this is normal I would like the temp to be below 40. Is there a way to lower the temp I have it on the 5 setting. It is Dometic 1350. Thanks for any input.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There have been several posts on this forum regarding the RM1350. I see that you are running the refer on the coldest setting, 5.
Do you hear the fans running? There are two coil cooling fans in the back.
Have you checked the door seals? Take a dollar bill and close the door on it. There should be a drag on it when you pull it out. Do this in several places.
Also, the addition of a baffle near the top vent to direct the cooling air over the top cooling fins has been a big help.
How is the freezer temp?

Peace
Dave

davidg

On the fins inside top of the refa their's a what looks like a white piece of plastic if it is at the bottom of the fin try sliding it up to the top or viseversa,(don't get rough with it) and my experience if your refa is in a slide it won't preform like those that are not in a slide, again my experience.
David

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We were having this issue, under warranty, took it in and they added the baffle. Not had a problem since.

tmax264

Cookie, I did the dollar test everything fine there. The fans are running. I guess I will have the baffle added to see if that helps. The freezer takes sometime to freeze the items but they are solid and it makes ice, but it does have to be defrost about every month.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
David I didn't see anything that would slide on the fins.
Tmax, on the fins in the upper rear of the refrigerator compartment, there should be a white plastic piece with a white wire attached to it. This is part of the thermostat control. If it's not on one of the fins on the right side, it may be laying in the drip tray under the fins. It should be fitted on the far right fin towards the top of the fin for the coldest operation.

The baffle that has been mentioned is to help the air flow over the rear fins/coils exit the compartment. Without the baffle, the air flow goes up and gets stopped at the top of the reefer compartment. The warm air just sort of stays in the compartment. The baffle allow the warm air to exit and more cool air comes in at the bottom vent.

In Texas, defrosting on a monthly basis is normal.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
When we were in goshen somebody told us about a small fan (blue) that you place at the bottom of the fridge with the fan pointup. We got one and find that the fridge cools down faster and maintains the temp better. It used to take 12 -15 hours to get down to temp, now it took 5-9 hours.

tmax264

Tmax, on the fins in the upper rear of the refrigerator compartment, there should be a white plastic piece with a white wire attached to it. This is part of the thermostat control. If it's not on one of the fins on the right side, it may be laying in the drip tray under the fins. It should be fitted on the far right fin towards the top of the fin for the coldest operation.

The baffle that has been mentioned is to help the air flow over the rear fins/coils exit the compartment. Without the baffle, the air flow goes up and gets stopped at the top of the reefer compartment. The warm air just sort of stays in the compartment. The baffle allow the warm air to exit and more cool air comes in at the bottom vent.

In Texas, defrosting on a monthly basis is normal.

There is a white wire with what looks like a sensor on it. It is about 3 inches toward the front of the frig it is not touching the fins at all and I would have to remove the clip that is holding it to the top of the frig to move it where it will touch them.
I am not sure where to get a baffle or what it looks like.
I just got off the phone with Dometic and nice young lady named Becca told me the specs on mine for the frig part was 38 to 44 so I am right on the border. She mention a cooling fan that they sell that should cool it down some.It is a vent fan.

tmax264

When we were in goshen somebody told us about a small fan (blue) that you place at the bottom of the fridge with the fan pointup. We got one and find that the fridge cools down faster and maintains the temp better. It used to take 12 -15 hours to get down to temp, now it took 5-9 hours.

Do you know where I could find one of these fans and does it keep the temp of the frig around 40 or below. Thank you

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Tmax264, if you can make out how the baffle is installed, here are a couple of pictures of what I did.
You must get the updraft air to move over the top cooling fins. Without the baffle the air will escape before it hits the top fins.
Don't know if it will work for you, but it works for me.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• baffle 2.jpg
    baffle 2.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 80
  • baffle.jpg
    baffle.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 79

aatauses

I also added a small solor fan near the fins on the outside near the top of the refer. I ran the cables outside and just sit the solor collector on the top of the slide--if the sun is out the little fan runs and helps a lot with the refer staying at 40.
al

danemayer

Dometic has a kit (mentioned by the rep at the rally) that adds an extra fan on the back of the RM1350 for better operation in hot climates. Here's the Dometic reference info:
3108705.744 KIT, SVC DBL DR PWR VENT SKU # 9108554165
The Dometic rep at the rally confirmed this kit is available as a warranty fix. I called and spoke with Becca and referenced the rep's info. She offered to sell it to me. I asked if this wasn't a warranty issue as the rep had stated. She then offered to have a dealer install it for free. I suggested that I may be able to install it myself and save them the $100 of dealer labor. She got approval and shipped me the part for free. I've been on a long trip with the refrigerator working well, so I haven't installed it yet or decided whether to let a dealer install it when we get back to Texas. Looking at the instructions that came with it, I think the way it operates is that when the temp at the backside fins gets too high, for whatever reason, the extra fan turns on to move air.

The little blue fan referenced in this thread is available at Camping World for $20. It's just a cheap battery-operated fan that circulates air inside the refrigerator compartment. I have one and I believe it helps.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Well finally, dometic is admitting their rm1350 is not working and they have a fix. Did you get the "fix" from them yet, what was in the kit?