Facebook Security for fulltimers

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We have been fulltiming for about 2 weeks now and are still in the get used to it idea. While posting on facebook about a campout with our Good Sam Chapter a friends advice came back to me about never posting that you were leaving town because someone could see it and then break into your house, then it hit me if they want to break in they had better be fast as we were taking our house with us. Just thought I would share that little funny. The things we think of.:D

caissiel

When my son bought a new home I took the resposibility to check all the plugs and switches for him. As I was leaving his older daughter room I told him I had to change the room light wall switch because the daughter would not be able to feel the type of switch used in her room.
His remarks were "Dad Melanie does not need the switch, she never needs a light"
Our Dear Melanie was blind.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have heard about this happening to many people on Facebook. I have the best security available. I am not a member of Facebook. I also have heard of a lot of viruses being targeted through Facebook.

My daughter has been trying to get me to join, so far she has not been sucessful.

BC

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I don't do Facebook. I don't like trolling information out there.
My daughter will say ,I told you on facebook, this or that.
I say, I don't do Facebook. I do "phonebook"

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I quit going on FB also as most of the time everyone was describing their minute to minute movements. In other words there was TMI (too much information). I mean I don't care that someone just walked from the bedroom to the living room and was sitting on the sofa eating chips. Then one minute later posted they walked from the living room to the kitchen and was looking in the refrigerator for something to drink and then found a Coke and was closing the refrigerator and about to walk back to the living room to site down on the sofa to drink the Coke. Sure got old in a hurry. BTW - whatever happened to calling someone and talking to them FTF (face to face)?

jpdoggett

The thing with Facebook or any of the other web sites is you don't say anything that you don't want the world to know. I use facebook all the time but I don't tell the world that I leaving home, you have to be smart about it and when we do leave that ones that need to know are called and the ones that watch the house are told (not through facebook) We have a alarm system and a great bunch of neighbors that all watch out for everyones property

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The thing with Facebook or any of the other web sites is you don't say anything that you don't want the world to know. I use facebook all the time but I don't tell the world that I leaving home, you have to be smart about it and when we do leave that ones that need to know are called and the ones that watch the house are told (not through facebook) We have a alarm system and a great bunch of neighbors that all watch out for everyones property

That is right not to tell anyone about leaving but then someone else that you told on the phone you are leaving posts the fact they are watching your home on FB so now the whole world knows. Like I say many on FB post TMI

Moose

I have heard about this happening to many people on Facebook. I have the best security available. I am not a member of Facebook. I also have heard of a lot of viruses being targeted through Facebook.

My daughter has been trying to get me to join, so far she has not been sucessful.

BC

I have 3 daughters . . . . . that's why I don't/won't use facebook! LoL

Moose

I quit going on FB also as most of the time everyone was describing their minute to minute movements. In other words there was TMI (too much information). I mean I don't care that someone just walked from the bedroom to the living room and was sitting on the sofa eating chips. Then one minute later posted they walked from the living room to the kitchen and was looking in the refrigerator for something to drink and then found a Coke and was closing the refrigerator and about to walk back to the living room to site down on the sofa to drink the Coke. Sure got old in a hurry. BTW - whatever happened to calling someone and talking to them FTF (face to face)?

Exactly! My thoughts as well.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I do FB all the time but like Lee and Linda, my home is with me all the time. I don't play the games and haven't had a virus problem. Just use it to catch up with old friends and some classmates from long ago. Again, only the ones I want to make contact with.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Thanks Jayc, this was meant to be a funny ha ha but it turned into a dump FB thing. I like you use it to contact friends and no games or such. We even have a page for our Good Sam Chapter to keep up with everyone. See you down the road, watch out for anyone running behind us.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I thought it was funny about our taking our homes with us. Come on and try to break in, I've got something for ya...

My class reunion was done on FB and of course, Heartland has an active area on it too. Just be careful and its fun.

merlinb

Retired
FB can be used safely if you will take the time to make the appropriate changes in your account settings. You should limit access to your stuff to "Friends Only" and also disable all of the external marketing junk that FB tries to dump on you. Here is a link to a web site that will tell you exactly how to do it.

Also, stay away from the games. Too many of them have been known to be portals for spyware, malware, junkware, viruses and such. FB can be very useful and enjoyable if you are cautious about how you use it.

Last edited:

Edd and Janet

I enjoy using FB to play catchup with friends and family that I seldom get to see. I am very careful what I information I share. I've never had any issues with virus'. I never open attachments in email or open an email from someone I don't know.

rebootsemi

Have been using FB for a long time with the family and friends with not problems. Have the security settings for friends only, do not use any of the appt's as most are just junk and a way to try and get your cash. When talking to friends I mostly use private messaging. And never post anything that you do not want the whole world to see and use.