PDA

View Full Version : Winegard Digital HD Receiver-Anyone using one?

tdharley
04-23-2007, 06:03 AM
I fell for all the good write ups and ordered this from CW

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=35000

Anybody using it, good or bad?

I will install it this weekend if no one can say anything bad about it.

katkens
04-23-2007, 07:43 AM
I don't have one but have been reading some about these looks positive so far. Sure will be waiting patiently for your report after use,Winegards products have a pretty good rep. Ken

jbeletti
04-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Looking forward to your review tdh. Looks like most of the newer Winegard batwing off-air antennas are now HD compatible. I assume yours is as well.

Do you have the Olevia LCD TV that Heartland now uses? I "think" some of them have the dual (analog and digital) tuners built-into them. for those with these sets, they won't need the digital to analog tuner.

Jim

tdharley
04-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Did not know about the HD ready thingy. I am not worried about digital or analog though, the CD tuner I have will be the run through.

How do I know if it is?

Remember I have a 2006...........Hmmmm

jbeletti
04-23-2007, 02:32 PM
tdh,

Look for any paperwork on your Winegard batwing. You're looking for Sensarx or MAxxxx. When you know that model, go to www.winegard.com to see if the batwing is HD-ready.

As for the TV, if it's the Olevia LCDs, look for the model number on the unit itself, then go to www.olevia.com to review the Features tab for your model. It will tell you about the tuners. If it says "ATSC/NTSC combo tuner", then you do have the HDTV tuner built-in.

I know the 42" units Heartland is putting in the 3400 RE has the combo tuner.

Jim

tdharley
04-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Hey Jim

Check out this motorized bat wing Cool !!!!!!!.........

http://www.winegard.com/mobile/motorsensar.htm

My wife says I am like a kid in a candy store.

I say he who dies with the most toys wins!!!!

jbeletti
04-23-2007, 05:05 PM
tdh,

Yes, been eyeing that one too - in case I ever have another coach built. May as well use the latest. especially if the TV that comes with it has the digital tuner in it.

You probably find that your non-HD ready antenna will still pick up some level of digital over-the-air channels in markets that have launched. For antennas this small, my guess is that the biggest difference is in the actives and passives used in the circuit to ensure they pass the digital bandwidth as well as the analog bands.

Keep us up to date on your upgrades. Your a mad man on them. Sure wish you had time to take off to head to the rally.

Jim

tdharley
04-23-2007, 05:55 PM
I am taking most of the summer off.

We go to the Americade & Laconia, bike rallies for that week almost ten days. We ride the bike through NY, Vermont & Conneticut. I will be back on the day the Heartland rally starts.

I wish it was a few days later.

Oh well next year.

madigand
04-24-2007, 08:54 AM
I have the Olevia LCD and wineguard batwing. It picks up HD when you do the auto channel setup for on the air side. It also looks for hd on cable side. What a difference in HD. Sometimes the regular channel is snowy but go to the HD channel and great picture. If only it was not so complicated to figure out. I really enjoy it.

jbeletti
04-24-2007, 09:20 AM
madigand,

Thanks for confirming for us that your Olevia LCD does have the over-the-air digital tuner in it to pick up local digital; channels.

I agree, TV viewing in an RV can be pretty complex. Even if you never used cable or a dish, it can still be a chore.

For many, I think the key to making the most of it is better understanding what is available over-the-air, how some of those signals differ from each other (VHF, UHF, Digital etc.) and how that all works with your TV, its tuners etc. Then, why moving to another location requires another auto-tune on the TVs. Then layer on top of that, cable TV, a change in tuner setup, another auto-tune. Then layer on top of that, satellite TV. It can be dizzying.

Jim

tdharley
04-24-2007, 06:31 PM
I called CW today on an unrelated matter (they are replacing one of my brand new toppers) and spoke to a seemingly informed tech. He said that you dont need any special TV or antenna for HD , the box that I bought will do it all. I a not too sure about that.

I will probably get some additional BS about I cant get this or that without adding this or that.

Que serra serra.....like Doris Day would say.

We will see this weekend when I install it.

cannoncocker
04-24-2007, 06:57 PM
TD,

The tech is 100% correct. So called HD ready antennas are nothing more than marketing hype. Any antennna capable of receiving UHF television signals will work just fine. The bat wing that came on my Sundance pulls in all the Knoxville, TN HD stations from 40 miles out.

-Jack

jbeletti
04-24-2007, 07:17 PM
tdh,

I did more research on it and I agree with Jack, the standard batwing antenna, so long as it is rated to pass UHF channels, should work fine for over-the-air digital channels. Seems that 90% of the over-the-air digital channels are in the UHF band with the other 10% being somewhere in the VHF band.

Jim

jimtoo
04-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Our Olevia LCD TV also is HD and my factory antenna seams to work good for the HD channels. I get some I did not even know were there. It also has a VGA input. I am thinking I just might bring it in the house and have a real MONITOR when its not being used in the RV. :D :D

The wife does not like the ideal thou:( .

Jim

jbeletti
04-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Hey Jim,

That VGA input would be great for picture slideshows from the laptop in the RV if you carry one with you.

Or when you have a CG with WiFi, it would make a big monitor to surf with in the RV!

Jim

jimtoo
04-24-2007, 11:10 PM
I always have the laptop, I could even take pc with wireless keyboard and mouse... Now.. if I can just get the wife to watch TV in the bedroom.:D Hmmm,,,None
Jim

ct0218
04-24-2007, 11:31 PM
I use the Olevia for my desktop monitor. That VGA input eliminates the need for the flatscreen monitor, 1 less thing to haul around. And digital photos look great on it. We looked at our photos from Cozumel last night when we got in.

tdharley
04-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Oh man guys we gotta get a life!!!!!! My wife says I am too Geeky. Yeah me & Bill Gates.

I do the ultimate in AV for the kids. I take my Cinego DLP projector on certain camp trips with us, hang a 10' screen on the side of the rig and show cartoons at night. Needless to say most of the campground kids come around.

jbeletti
04-25-2007, 04:20 PM
tdh,

That's cool! Gotta be good for games and races too. So long is it's night-time.

Jim

tdharley
04-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Well I got it today. Seems pretty easy to install.

It works like your cable box at home. I can wire through the box and feed both TV's with the same program or just one. I am gonna wire through one and if it really impresses me I will order a second. You use the box to change the channels.

tdharley
04-28-2007, 07:47 PM
I installed the Winegard system today and my review is....... WOW wee......WOW...... WOW

I am not usually a WOW wee......WOW...... WOW kinda guy but WOW wee......WOW...... WOW.

First of all let me tell you, I live probably 60 miles to NYC and 40 miles to Connecticut, the 2 closest major network channels. We have one local channel about 10 miles away. At best I would get that channel, "snowy but watchable". I would get the a Conneticut station about the same and on a good day if I stood on one foot, held a pink umbrella in my hand , dressed in a lavander tutu, I would get channel 4, a network channel.

Did I say WOW wee......WOW...... WOW????????

Anyway I hooked this up hoping for a couple of clear channels, I got 9. Not just got 9, they were perfectly clear.DVD quality.

I also got the benefit of now having eveything pretty much wired through this box. Also Dobly Surround sound, perfect.

It was also this simplest thing I have installed yet, including the toilet paper holder. The toughest part was figuring out how to get the TV out.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a WOW wee......WOW...... WOW

So do you think I liked it?

Tom of Ypsi
04-28-2007, 09:28 PM
TD,

Why don't you really tell us how you feel? Sounds like you may be just a little happy.

Jimmyt5
04-28-2007, 11:01 PM
The thing about snow is it doesn't happen, with digital you either get it great or its gone....

Pulltab
05-13-2007, 06:49 AM
Friends of ours stopped by for a week visit and have installed one in theirs and just like you heard WOW WEEE WOOOW WEEEE!

Perfectly clear and multiple channels on one. For instance channel 16 actually had 6 channels! I am ordering me one up today!

phranc
05-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Pink Umbrella ?? Lavander Tutu? Little scary here !!

ChopperBill
05-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Is this system just for the air antenna? I assume you have to get an additional HD receiver for Direct TV?

tdharley
05-14-2007, 02:21 PM
It picks up digital air signals only, not sattelite.

ChopperBill
05-14-2007, 05:17 PM
My problem is I don't even have an antenna on the truck camper and just use a dish and like in the Bighorn, because we dry camp alot, we are not in good antenna receiving areas.

tdharley
05-15-2007, 05:55 AM
Oh,well all I can say is that I picked up many air channels that were not available with just the antenna alone.

The sattelite dish of course is much better for channels. I had one in my last rig and it was great but I only used it once in a while so the monthly fee did not make sense for me. I do very little dry camping and most sites have a cable hookup.

Pulltab
05-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Pink Umbrella ?? Lavander Tutu? Little scary here !!

:confused::confused:

tdharley
05-16-2007, 05:14 PM
Pulltab....read #21 , this thread....carefully