M21 Running Lights

sheilsm

We are traveling for the first time in our new 2011 Edge. I am noticing that the running lights aren't on. Any advice!

PhotoPete

You are connected to your tow vehicle? Do the brake lights and blinkers work as expected? When you turn on the car lights, does anything come on, on. The trailer?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello sheilsm and welcome to the Heartland Family and Owners Forum. Lots of good information here for the asking.
Have you checked the plug on your tow vehicle? The first thing you need to do is make sure it is supplying power to the trailer. Are your brakes working? Are the turn and brake lights working? Are the running lights on in the TV? Trailer lights will only light if the lights are on in the TV.
What TV are you using? Some have the trailer lights fused. Have the fuses been checked?
Check those things and let us know what you find.
I don't know where Sleepy Hollow is but if you are near Springfield consider joining us at the Illinois Heartland Owners Chapter Rally in Chathem early next month. Click on the link on the Portal Page.

Peace
Dave

sheilsm

Yes..we are connected. Brake lights work, turn signals work...just not the red and yellow running lights.

sheilsm

Thanks for your thoughts. Sleepy Hollow is just west of Chicago. We are currently going west to Glacier National Park. We will check all those things are our next stop. My only question now is that you said the running lights only work if the lights are on on the tow vehicle...and we do have the headlights on. Recently had to replace the fuse box in this F250 Ford truck. Would that have anything to do with our trailer?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Recently had to replace the fuse box in this F250 Ford truck. Would that have anything to do with our trailer?
It might, have you checked the fuses and the output on the plug at the back of the truck?

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The tail lights on the trailer and the clearance lights on the trailer should be powered from the same feed on the plug from the truck. You might check the wiring where the wire attaches to the trailer. It could have a loose wire there.

sheilsm

Thank everyone! It was as simple as checking the plug to the truck. Lights are working now. We are newbies and didn't know if there was a switch or something. All is well for now! Thanks again for everyone's quick response.

camr

I picked up a tow vehicle plug plug checker. (Geez, I wish I had a better name for it!!!) It is a plug that you push into the TV plug, and it has LED indicator lights on it for all the plug terminals. It is a really quick way of checking whether the problem is with the TV plug or trailer plug/wiring.

camr

In Canada they are available from almost all automotive parts stores. They are about 10 to 15 dollars. It looks identical to the male plug that is on the trailer cord, but on the end that the cable would be is a row of LED's corresponding to each wire. Check the area of the auto store that has trailer items such as drawbars and light plugs.