Shurflo 5.7...

amkuntz

We have a 2011 Grand Canyon and we are on our second water pump. We used the first one a couple of times, then one day we used it for one flush and a hand wash...and that was it...it would not start.

It started leaking and after calling Steve at Heartland, it was decided we needed a new pump. We took it to a dealer in Great Bend, which Steve told us was authorized to do the repair and after getting the work done(extremely fast service by Harpe'rs) we had to pay for everything up front, then send the original pump back to Heartland. We are still waiting for the check even though they received the pump June 29...but I digress.

Harper's tested the second pump and we checked it when we got back to the campground, but since we are usually on city water, never used it until we were ready to move again. After the same flush and hand wash on the road...when it worked fine...we got to an overnight spot where we needed to use it...and it would not work at all. We checked that it was getting power, the fuses are all fine, both in the fuse panel and the inline one, there is nothing plugging the lines...we have a water filter and softener stick on the city line coming in and we use the same line to fill the fresh water tank. There is no leak in this one.

A side note, not sure if it is related, but it seemed like the fuse went out for the test/pump/heater panel both times...well, I couldn't say exactly both times(old age and memory thing), but I have replaced it twice and the second time it was for sure that it was right after using the pump.

Anything else I should look for?

Marilyn

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Marilyn, the only thing I can think of is to remove the pump and test it on a good known 12 volt fused source. It sounds as if you have covered all the bases though so I'm not sure what else to try.

amkuntz

Update Re: Shurflo 5.7...

We received a new pump from Heartland and installed it...works like a dream. Well, with the exception of a little leakage from under the front of the unit where the five screws are...but it works!
Thanks for your input,
Marilyn

amkuntz

Re: Update Re: Shurflo 5.7...

Here we go again...
We used the pump for a couple of days while we were away from water, both for showering and the occasional pit stop while moving between jobs. We were hooked up to water for the next couple of weeks, then used it again as we moved and parked at the next stop. It was still working fine, but I noticed when you shut the water off, it took a while of slow 'chugging' before the pressure was built up enough to shut it off.

Then yesterday I used it twice and the second time I was washing my hands and noticed the pressure fluctuated slightly, then I went to test it in the kitchen...no water...anywhere. All fuses are fine, power to the pump, no leaks this time...and it was Friday, on a long weekend yet. We were able to get water to the camper, but DH is pretty ****ed about the pump...the third one.

I guess we wait until Tuesday to talk to someone and hopefully we can find out what they found in the other two pumps...if that is at all possible. At this point we are thinking about just getting a 2.8gpm to tide us over. Will it make a big difference? Do we need the pressure for the washer...not that I have ever tried to wash anything with the pump.

Thoughts,
Marilyn

Rodbuster

I wonder what's going on with these pumps. Mine stopped working with only a few hours on it in my 2012 Key Largo.
I think that we can all understand hearing about a pump failing every now and then, but this is the 4th one that I have heard about in 2 or 3 months.

Rodbuster

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
When our rig was new, the original pump had issues from the start. I don't think it was the 5.7 but it was one of the newer style pumps. Shurflo sent us a replacement but it was a 2.8. I really didn't care because all I wanted at that point was a working pump. I decided to keep the 2.8 and it's still hammering away. I did all the steps necessary to reduce the rattles so it's pretty quiet now and as I said, working fine.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Your comment about the monitor panel make me wander if the wiring in that switch is messed up. Just a thought.

brianharrison

The 5.7 uses an electronic circuit board in the base of the pump to control the variable speed of the pump. This circuit board has a heat sink with fins on the bottom of pump base. Check to make sure the installation has sufficient air flow around this base. Without it it may overheat and crap out. Somehow my wiring loom was routed under my pump, in contact with the circuit board heat sink, and the loom cover melted a bit from the heat off the heat sink.

My pump crapped out (circuit board fried) and I sent the sticker off the pump to ShurFlo in CA and they FedExd'd a pump back as soon as they recieved the sticker. In the meantime I bought a cheaper 2.8 and now have it as a spare.

The power for the pump circuit feeds the monitor panel (with switch). Hence the 15A fuse. My GC has two fuses, one at the DC panel, and one at the pump. My DC panel fuse was the one to blow when the pump circuit board overheated and shorted out.

Take care,
Brian

amkuntz

I turned the pump on again today, hoping for a miracle...not unlike when I have a lotto ticket that isn't a winner, but I still keep it just in case the numbers change...and while I was regenerating my Waterstick, and had the city water turned off I reached in and gave it a couple of raps on the end where the wires are...and it started working! Just like I had to do with the furnace the night before last when it wouldn't work...

robnmo

Guess I'll ask a question here also, our 5.7 Smart sensor started acting up a couple weeks ago and finally went belly up when we left PA headed to Virginia. We stopped in Camping World and bought a new 5.7 Smart Sensor, the Cyclone is over a yr old but the pump is under 2 yrs. I emailed Sure flo they said not a problem send them the label off the pump and they'll Fedex us a new pump, but the rep at Shurflo said we might want to consider replacing it with the new 4008-101-E65 that has a "mechanical bypass" instead of the circuitry control. He said that pump avoids the short cycling of a Smart Sensor, but has a slightly reduced flow but added for an RV it is fine. Anyone used, had, or know anything about this "new" pump? I'm planning on sending them the label tomorrow for a replacement just trying to decide which to have sent. Thanks

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We replaced our original pump in the NorthTrail with a Flojet VSD. MUCH quieter, and no hammering of pipes in the walls! So, we have one purchased, waiting for cooler climes and more time, to install in the Elk Ridge. Again, main reason is for the noise. I'm reading lots of good reasons to switch brands. ;)

E

Wharton

Our Shurflo 5.7 died for the 2nd time this year. We called Shurflo and once they get the label they will replace it. We are stopping today at Camping World and getting a Flojet, the basic model. We have had it with the circuit boards etc. controlled models, back to basics. We will keep the Shurflo as a spare.

I wonder about Shurflo. They don't even question the replacement, just send a label. Must be having lots of problems....