Fixed - On road need help (converter)

yes i have an 2012 35qsqb and during the night i lost my AC unit and all my lights, my fridge pretty much everything except my receptacles, ceiling fan and microwave. Im pretty sure my fridge is not even working with the propane. I have checked all breakers, and fuses even unplugged shore power and re hooked, went down to 30amp and tried heck i even drug my cord to next lot over and tried their power so im about positive its in the camper. any suggestions on fuses or breakers im not aware of to check?

jimtoo

Re: On road need help

Hi nhharris78,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Sorry to hear your having a problem with power. If you have power to part of the trailer, then I would remove the breaker panel and check the main connections on the back side. Sounds like you may have a loose wire. Be sure your not plugged into current when you start checking. Let us know what you find.

Jim M

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

The first thing I would do is reset all the breakers. Turn them off then on again. If that is no help then I would pull the breaker panel out and check for loose wires. Also at that time I would check to be sure I had 120 volts coming to the panel at the main breaker, both sides of it. If you have no power coming into the panel, check the connections on the shore power receptacle at the back of the rig.
I would also check continuity of the shore cord.
If you have power to some things it sounds like one half of your 50 amp is dead. Be sure to reset the main breaker and look for loose wires there.
Please come back and let us know what you find.

Peace
Dave

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader

I had this problem when hooked to a weak 30 amp, only delivered to half the trailer.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

If you have power to the receptacles, fan, and microwave, then you've got some (one leg) of 120V coming in. All of the previous suggestions to check should be done, too. But, do your 12V lights still work? If the battery has a good charge, and the 120V kicks out, the fridge should switch over to propane (is the gas on and air purged?). I found that if the air is not purged, the fridge will attempt to light and then quit trying. Turn on the stove and let the flame burn for a few seconds and try the fridge again. If the 12V lights are weak looking, then your converter is probably on the same leg that is not working and has not been charging the battery. That will also cause the fridge to not switch over.

danemayer

i lost my AC unit and all my lights, my fridge pretty much everything except my receptacles, ceiling fan and microwave. Im pretty sure my fridge is not even working with the propane.
Except for A/C failing, the common element is 12V. If your thermostat relies on 12V to operate, and appears dead, then the common element is definitely 12V. All the fuses probably wouldn't fail at once, so it sounds like you're not getting power from the battery, or the battery is dead. If the battery is dead, the power converter may be unplugged or have a blown fuse within the converter, or the converter has failed.

Landmark, Bighorn, and Big Country models have a buss bar near the battery. The 50A 12V breaker may have tripped, and needs to be manually reset. I assume the Elkhorn has something similar. Here's the diagram for the LM, BH, BC.
View attachment Buss_Bar_for_LM-BH-BC.pdf

I think i have a temporary fix thanks to the great support from my dealer Holman Motors. The tech walked me through step by step and appears the converter has went bad. Luckily i have enough tools and battery charger with me i unplugged converter and hooked battery charger up and plugged in and all is good for now. thanks all for the help

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

I think i have a temporary fix thanks to the great support from my dealer Holman Motors. The tech walked me through step by step and appears the converter has went bad. Luckily i have enough tools and battery charger with me i unplugged converter and hooked battery charger up and plugged in and all is good for now. thanks all for the help

Depending on which brand of converter you have, your next step is to contact the manufacturer. With a 2012, you are probably still under warranty.

wdk450

Except for A/C failing, the common element is 12V. If your thermostat relies on 12V to operate, and appears dead, then the common element is definitely 12V.
View attachment 14096

Dan and All:
FYI the thermostat switches a 12 volt relay in the Air Conditioner and in the Furnace. So yes, 12 volts is involved in this, too.

Thanks again for the help so quick. I actually talked things over with my dealer and went and purchased a converter here in NC and installed it yesterday evening. I have to bring my old unit and my receipts to them when i get back in town. They offered to ship me one monday morning, but would still be mid week before i received it, so this was the best so our family vacation at the beach wouldnt be a long, hot trip. Once again thanks.

danemayer

Glad you've gotten to the bottom of it. I know that sick feeling when you realize that you need the 12V system to move the slides and landing gear, among other things.