Towing BC with Ford 6.2 or 6.7

ovrkll50

Just purchased 2011 BC, brought it home with my 99 7.3 duelie, it handled it just fine, was wondering if anyone been doing much towing with the new ford 6.2 or 6.7. I'm thinking of going to single rear wheels on a new pickup.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Hello!

I just sent you a PM with some information about our Big Country/truck combo.

Best Wishes!

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I have an '08 F350 long bed with the 6.4 and pull the RL3055 with plenty power to spare. I'm sure the 6.7 is even better. The single rear wheels was my choice also. It tows very stable and easier to find parking at resturants or shopping. I'm sure that the duelies have to provide extra stability if needed but I haven't missed them on mine. Good luck.

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
We have a 2011 F-350 short bed srw and tow a BH 3670 This truck is incredible I can't get over how well it pulls. So far this season we have been about 3000 miles and we average 12 MPG. We love this truck.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I would suggest you wait till the 2012 Ford F350 comes out if you are thinking about a new Tow Vehicle. I got an email from Ford about the new 2012 and they have increased the towing capacities and made other changes to make it an even better tow vehicle. For more info check out the Ford Corporate website.

Ok so u guys are all obviously FORD fans, and I wonder if u can answer a couple of questions......we are trying to narrow down what tow vehicle we should get to pull our 2950RK. It appears a lot of people on this forum tow with Dodges - Ford seems a popular choice for towing too, but not too many Chev owners by the looks.
Our first pref was Chev but we are intrigued by Ford. We have settled on a 350 diesel 4x4 short bed either way. Understand the Ford is more economical and the comment regards the 2012 increased towing capacity has us scratching our heads wondering if maybe this is the best option. (anyone able to send us any info on that?) We are also perplexed about that new emissions addition, can't find anything on the ford web about it, how much of that additive does the vehicle use, does it use a lot and is it a large extra cost?
Your comments as owners would be appreciated. Going round in circles here and need some help :eek:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Ok so u guys are all obviously FORD fans, and I wonder if u can answer a couple of questions......we are trying to narrow down what tow vehicle we should get to pull our 2950RK. It appears a lot of people on this forum tow with Dodges - Ford seems a popular choice for towing too, but not too many Chev owners by the looks.
Our first pref was Chev but we are intrigued by Ford. We have settled on a 350 diesel 4x4 short bed either way. Understand the Ford is more economical and the comment regards the 2012 increased towing capacity has us scratching our heads wondering if maybe this is the best option. (anyone able to send us any info on that?) We are also perplexed about that new emissions addition, can't find anything on the ford web about it, how much of that additive does the vehicle use, does it use a lot and is it a large extra cost?
Your comments as owners would be appreciated. Going round in circles here and need some help :eek:

You can even order your new Ford truck with the hitch installed as a factory option. I understand the urea is not that expensive and can be bought most anywhere you get fuel. My 2010 does not have it. The 2011-2012 F350s have a different engine and transmission and get better mileage than the 2010. Here is the information from Ford website on the 2012.

http://www.showroom.ford.com/Showroom.jsp?branding=1&referringSite=1&lang=en&referrer=Ford.com

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
The Urea was the first thing I asked about when considering our truck. I was told it will in most cases last throughout the service intervals and so far that has been true. As stated the 6.7 is a power house, ours has 4:30 gears so pulls that much more although we pay a price with fuel economy. Living where we do surrounded buy mountains I thought it was worth the trade off. I also have the Ford/Reese Elite hitch and love it. My other truck has the B&W companion hitch and I thought that was great but this thing is easy. In or out in a few minutes with no tools required although currently it is only available with long bed trucks.
So far we are very satisfied with our Ford.

SilverRhino

I have towed with both SRW and Duals......Personally I would opt for the dueals. The short beds are nice for driving around town.....But you will get a smoother ride, with the long bed. These are just my opinions....Based on thousands of miles towing with trucks of different configurations!

One more opinion......Can't beat a Dodge, simply because it's wrapped around a CTD!!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I gotta agree with Randy, the dually is much more stable and the long bed allows me to carry more "stuff", like a big tool box, 100 gallon fuel tank and still have room for more!

And of course, the CTD.

PSF513

As you can see from my signature, I tow a BH 3610 RE with a short bed F250 with a 6.4. Does great. I put Firestone air bags on and it rides even smoother. I am very happy and the 250 only comes in SRW

lwmcguir

We have towed thousands of miles with a F250 CC Short bed as well (always Diesels) with no issues as well.

ncc1701e

I see all the diesels have weighed in and as expected have plenty of power. I have the new 6.2L gas engine in my 2011 F250 SRW short bed. Just to let you know a couple things. I love the truck and it does just great with our trailer (2011 Sundance 2800RL, 8400#). The majority of our pulls are in the midwest and in the foothills. I'd not be comfortable with this engine and a larger trailer. While is it powerful and the truck has a significant rating, like any gas engine it does lack a little on the low end torgue curve. Oh, the darn thing loves it gas, don't let some dealer tell you how great the gas mileage is going to be. With all that, I still love the truck and am very happy. I just did not want a diesel and new up front most of what I was giving up with this choice.

Feb 2011.JPG

caissiel

My neighbour with his SOB 36 ft 5th wheel and 2000 F350 7.3L went on a weekend trip with 4 of his friends and they all have 30ft or less 5th wheels and towing them with new gas trucks and the word around was that he left them all in the dust. He ran away from them in every hill and he used almost 1/2 the fuel they did for the 90 mile trip one way.
I was told by one of his friends that it was good that I was not there because they feel i would have left them further behind, and my unit weights 5K more then their units.
I would keep the 7.3L truck rather then getthing any Gas 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

If you knew how much we paid for Gas here (NZ) you'd understand why we have to have diesel.........would need to have a smaller fuel tanker following us if we went petrol! LOL

appreciate the comments. Definately Diesel for us jurys out on make of tow wagon, just looking into how easy it is to get the servicing, urea fluid, here for us in our country before we commit.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Look around the cg at tow vehicles and I believe you'll see what brand has the most. All of the big 3 are good but the Ford seems to be the most popular.

SilverRhino

Look around the cg at tow vehicles and I believe you'll see what brand has the most. All of the big 3 are good but the Ford seems to be the most popular.

I had thought that the Fords significantly out numbered the GM and Dodges, so I asked the question in this post //heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...uck-Are-You-Using-for-a-Tow-Vehicle?highlight on this Forum and was surprised that it is a pretty even split between the major three.

Here's my "two-cents worth" - We've been Ford Lovers forever, but all my experienced trucker friends told me that there is no better rig than the dodge turbo diesel rig. My dad loved Chrysler products and i hated them. We drove the Ford dually and really liked it. We looked at and then drove the Chevy and did not like it. Then we went to the Dodge dealer and took the 6.7 Litre for a test drive and never looked back. our 2007 (and a half) Dodge dually 3500 long bed is (in my opinion) the best truck. The six cylinder turbo diesel is powerful. Ours has 350Hp and 650 ft lbs of torgue and pulls our Big Country 3250TS easily.

Here's why i prefer the dually - On one of our recent camping trips we had a blowout on the right rear tandem of our 5th wheel. I was absolutely amazed at how my truck (and trailer) handled that blowout at 65mph without any loss of control whatsoever. If i had single tires on my truck shouldering that load - I just don't know how safe it would be. One of my friends has a big Ford diesel with single tires in the rear and loves his truck.

We're about to reach 50,000 miles on my Dodge and 6 speed automatic tranny with zero problems. My friends say it's barely "broke-in".

Good luck! :)

caissiel

I have been favouring the SRW trucks as TV for over 15 years because they are the best in the winter with the rear tire following the front ones. Not true for the GM's the rear is narrower due to IFS up front, but still was great with 4 x 4.

As for having controls with a flat tire, I did have a flat tire on the back of my GM 2500 at 60MPH with trailer in tow and my thought at the time was a rearend failure it just made a noise so I stoped when I could.
Again I broke all the studs on the right side rear wheel of the same GM with trailer in tow, and looking in the mirror I could see the sparks when I touched the brakes so just coasted to the shoulder. I would not like to loose the studs on my F250 with the small disks but I am sure they would do so and so. So now I realy torque my wheels properly myself so as not to have the same situation happen. My thought at the time was that I was lucky to have had a SRW and not 2 wheels to ruin the fender and trailer behind. I just replaced the drum and studs and in 3 hrs I was on my way again.

I choose the SRW also because the tires are much larger and better front and back, and a flat in the rear of a duelly leaves double the load on a weaker rear single tire. And in this area we do get lots of stones stuck between the tires that always cuts tires if going on side roads. Torquing my own wheels is important to me now, There is a fellow here with an F450 that will tow with only 40/50Lbs of air in the tires because the truck rides to rough with more, I would not leave the yard with those pressures. This is the second duelly he does the same. He can't beleive I have mine at 80 lbs with excellent ride and comfort.
I just heard a friend went to Florida and by the time he arrived he had 2 damaged wheels on his car. He had done a tire rotation and retorqued his wheels before departure on the long trip but they eventualy loosend up on the way.

camr

There will always be the Ford vs. GM vs. Dodge battle raging on almost every camping and trucking website that you visit. In truth, they are all great choices, with each of them having their very small share of "lemons". When we started our search for a diesel tow vehicle, Ford was the last on my list because of previous experience with a 1979 Fairmont that went more miles up and down on a service dept. hoist than it ever went forward. However, on test drivers we found the Dodge engine too noisy, and the GM's didn't have the options that we needed in our area, and we found the truck with every option that we wanted on a Ford dealer's lot. I dropped my pride and we bought it. Believe me, I had to eat a lot of crow!!! It has been an absolute pleasure to own, and we haven't had a single issue with it. The long and short of my story is you will more than likely do just fine with what ever you choose, either Ford, Dodge or GM. If one of them was superior to the other two by a large margin, the market would take care of the weakest. You can't do wrong with either of the big three. Just find the right truck with the right options.