This afternoon, it's the water pump.

Rodbuster

This morning I had a problem with the AC fan coming on when it was not supposed to. With your help, that problem got solved.

This afternoon my water pump stopped working. It was working fine yesterday.
I checked the fuse in the fuse panel and I checked the in-line fuse about 6 inches from the water pump.
I have power right up to where the lines are spliced to the pump ( about 12 inches from the pump).

Leaving for New Hampshire Friday. Won't be the end of the world, but sure would like to get it fixed.

Thank you
Rodbuster

danemayer

Maybe a silly question - when you have the pump turned on and open a faucet, is there any noise from the pump - like it's trying to pump, but maybe not getting any water out of the fresh tank?

Rodbuster

Dan, I don't look at that as a "silly question" at all. I thank you for taking the time to try and help.

As far as your question, no, there is no noise at all. I distinctly remember the sound that the pump makes when there is a demand for water pressure.
As I mentioned in my original post, I was sanitizing my water system yesterday in preparation for my trip to N.H. this weekend. I had my tank about 1/3 full when I opened the kitchen faucet (hot & cold), then the bathroom faucet, followed by the shower head to get the household bleach through the whole system. The pump ran great.

About noontime today, I opened the kitchen faucet. Water came out, but when the existing pressure was exhausted, that was it...no more water. The pump never turned on.

Rodbuster

jbeletti

Rodbuster,

I wonder if by chance, when you were sanitizing, if you flipped the bypass valve to Bypass to suck in some sanitizing solution?

Jim

rebootsemi

Do you have a 12 volt test light to check to see if you are getting 12 volts to the pump? I assume that you have a Shurflo pump, the pressure switch on the front of the pump turns on and off the motor, make sure the wires are plugged in all the way. The motors on these hardly ever fail, might be the pressure switch, if all else fails tap it with the end of a screwdriver, may have just stuck.

PUG

Pug
If you have juice up to the pump that should mean you have your pump switch on and when the faucet it turned on that should reduce the pressure where the pump turns on. That makes me think either the pump or the pressure switch is faulty. Can you bypass the pressure switch and see if that makes it turn on? Just thinking outloud.

rebootsemi

If you have juice up to the pump that should mean you have your pump switch on and when the faucet it turned on that should reduce the pressure where the pump turns on. That makes me think either the pump or the pressure switch is faulty. Can you bypass the pressure switch and see if that makes it turn on? Just thinking outloud.

Forgot to add that part,,,jumper straight to the motor and see if it fires up.

danemayer

http://www.beamalarm.com/Documents/shurflo_5.7_water_pump_troubleshooting.htmlI'm hoping the bleach was well diluted. Not sure what would happen if using full strength.

Some diagnostics here that may help with partial extract below.

PUMP WILL NOT START/BLOWS CIRCUIT​
  • Electrical connections, fuse, breaker, main switch, and ground connection.
  • Is the motor hot? Thermal protector may have triggered; will reset when cool.
  • Is voltage present at the pump?
  • Charging System for correct voltage (9-14) and good ground.
  • For an open or grounded circuit or motor; improperly sized wire.
  • For seized or locked diaphragm assembly (water frozen?)
  • Is wire size too small? Minimum 14 AWG wire required.

Rodbuster

Rodbuster,

I wonder if by chance, when you were sanitizing, if you flipped the bypass valve to Bypass to suck in some sanitizing solution?

Jim

I'll check that out in a couple of hours Jim.
I don't even know "where" the bypass valve is located, so maybe I did.

Thanks for the reply.
Rodbuster

Rodbuster

Do you have a 12 volt test light to check to see if you are getting 12 volts to the pump? I assume that you have a Shurflo pump, the pressure switch on the front of the pump turns on and off the motor, make sure the wires are plugged in all the way. The motors on these hardly ever fail, might be the pressure switch, if all else fails tap it with the end of a screwdriver, may have just stuck.

Yes Lee, I do have the 5.7 Shurflo pump.
I have not checked to see if the wires are plugged inall the way...I'll check that out as soon as it gets light outside. I did tap on the motor end of the pump with the handle of a screwdriver, nothing happened.
I'm about ready to tap it with a 6 pound sledge.

Rodbuster

Jim, I located that "bypass valve" and it is in the "normal" position. I was hoping that you hit upon something there, but I guess there's a problem someplace else.

Thank you for the thought.... now I know where my bypass valve is.
Rodbuster

BTW, Dan, in reference to your thought about how much bleach I used and if it would have any adverse effects on the system, well, this is what I did. I put my garden hose in a 5 gallon bucket and timed how long it took to fill 5 gallons. I then stuck that garden hose in the fill tube and put approx. 25 gallons in the tank. I then put in 16 to 18 ounces of my wife's bleach (clorox). After that I put the garden hose back in the fill tube and added another 15 gallons.
So I had just over 1/2 quart of bleach added to about 40 gallons of water and when my pump was working a couple of days ago, it allowed me to enter this water and bleach cocktail throughout my whole system.

Rodbuster

crazybanshee

Rodbuster I am on my 4th Shurflo 5.7 pump in four years. They are known to be a POS. I always carry a spare and send the bad one back for repair. Tree year warranty.
Doug

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Really a SWAG here, but according to ShurFlo's website, they do make a 12V and a 24V version of that pump. Check the specs label on yours. Stranger things have happened.

porthole

Retired
I'll check that out in a couple of hours Jim.
I don't even know "where" the bypass valve is located, so maybe I did.

By any chance did you move the 2 way switch for the water pump (if Landmarks have one)
On our Cyclone there is a separate switch for the water pump in the docking station, allowing the pump to be shut off if using city water.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That sounds like an excessive amount of bleach.
Don't have my "formula" at work, but I will check tomorrow

According to the ShurFlo installation instructions I posted, the formula is to multiply the tank capacity (gallons) by 0.13 to get the ounces of bleach to add. So, a 75 gallon tank would take only 9.75 oz. of bleach. That's just over a cup of bleach (8 oz.). 1/2 quart is one pint, and that's 16 ounces.