Managing notes and documents while on the road

danemayer

I thought I'd share a tip on managing information while on the road. I use the Evernote program to store notes and documents. It's pretty easy to use, the basic version is free, it runs on every type of computer and smartphone, and best of all, no matter which of your devices you're using, all the notes and documents are available, as it syncs automatically. If your devices aren't working for some reason, you can go to a library or internet cafe and access your information on the web from any internet-connected computer.

I use it to keep a copy of user and maintenance manuals for the RV. I've downloaded the relevant files from the Tools section of this website, and also from vendor websites. I download the files, usually PDF documents, to a folder on my computer and have set up Evernote to automatically import files from that folder. Evernote then synchronizes those files across all my devices, including my iPhone. The synchronized files are then stored locally on each device. So even if I'm cut off from the internet, I can read the manuals from my computer or my iPhone.

When talking to servicers, or vendors, I create a new note to record the phone #s, names, and commitments. Again, the notes automatically sync to all devices. I got a follow up call from Heartland about something I ordered a few weeks ago. I was away from the RV but pulled up the notes on my iPhone to refresh my memory, and then added an update reflecting what was discussed on that call.

I also manage bills with Evernote. I keep a list of which regular bills come due on which dates, have links to their websites to check the amount due, and record the amount and date paid.

The list of things I use Evernote for has gotten pretty long, but I thought I'd mention some key things that might be of particular interest to this community.

I even found the program so useful that I upgraded to the fee-based higher-function version. But the free version is a great place to start. Versions for Windows and MAC, iPhone, Android Phones, Blackberry Phone and others I think.

One cautionary note: even though I think it's reasonably safe and secure, your documents do get stored "in the cloud" as well as on your local devices. You'll want to be thoughtful about putting sensitive information into any program that keeps your data online.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also collect whatever manuals and instruction sheets I can find. But I use a 320GB Seagate external USB drive for backup. With it, I can plug into any computer and access my info. Now that the wife has a laptop identical to mine, I always have a "back up device."

trvlrerik

Have you tried google docs? I am currently using it but it is a little tough for me as I am computer challenged. I am always looking for something easier to manage "paper" in what is becoming a paperless world.

jbeletti

Dan,

Thanks for sharing this about Evernote. I read about it in with Mac World or on Gizmodo.com and have been hooked ever since. Because it's cloud based, it's ubiquitous / cross platform. As such, I can start a to-do or shopping list on my laptop, my iPhone, my iPad etc. and Nancy can read it, add to it, act upon it from her Android based phone or her laptop. She can add to my shopping list etc. Anyway, yeah, it's pretty darned cool.

Jim

danemayer

Have you tried google docs? I am currently using it but it is a little tough for me as I am computer challenged. I am always looking for something easier to manage "paper" in what is becoming a paperless world.

Google Docs has some function similar to Evernote but frankly unless you have a need to do everything in Google Doc Editor, or Google Spreadsheet, I think Evernote is much easier to use. Evernote also has web clipping that's pretty powerful and many other features that would be difficult or impossible in Google Docs.

danemayer

Since I created this thread about a year ago, I've upgraded to a new laptop computer and switched from the iPhone to a Samsung Android phone. I installed Evernote on both new devices and all of my notes and files were synced to my new devices effortlessly. Automatic migration of the information you wanted to save - priceless.

jbeletti

I continue to use Evernote for management of notes and lists for the most part. For documents and images, I'm using Drop Box. Drop Box has a cool new feature to take your images (phone, camera, cards) and upload them pretty automatically. Easy to swipe through them on the iPad Drop Box app too :)