Before You Buy - Will My Truck Tow That?

DW_Gray

I posted a new article on my website. I provided simple information to answer the question "Is my truck big enough to tow this RV?"

I'd appreciate any feedback you may have. I've looked at one calculator in particular on the internet and found it to be inaccurate.

Here is the URL: http://fifthwheelst.com/before_you_buy.htm

Thanks.

Boca_Shuffles

On my first RV purchase, I bought a GMC 2500 Duramax with a DWVR of 9,200 lbs. The brochure said the truck weighed 6,400 lbs. I then installed the hitch and filled the tank. When I weighed my truck, it weighed 7,200 lbs. I had about 400 lbs that I couldn't account for (must have been the seats and the rear bumper).

My SOB that a pin weight of 2,000 lbs.

This meant that I at the GVWR of the truck without the wife and dogs.

I couldn't figure out how to travel without the wife, clothes and food (let alone beer).

I replaced the 2500 with a 3500 dually. Now the wife can pack all the food and clothes she wants. I can even add a couple of cases of water or beer if I feel like it.

The web page you referred to does not mention truck GVWR, only trailer CVWR and GCVWR.

As in the lead in story, if you put too much weight in the truck bed (i.e. pin weight), you will have too small of a truck.

I think the manufacturers use a very evenly balanced trailer (not a 5th wheel) when they post want you can tow. If you read their brochure carefully, there is a caveat that the owner should not exceed the truck GVWR.