Anyone know of a source for LED light bulbs to replace the factory ones?

RVCamper

I'd like to replace the battery draining light bulbs (not the fixtures) above the stove, dinette, bed, etc on my NorthTrail. Anyone have a source domestically and reasonably priced?

wdk450

Do and E-Bay or Google search with the bulb number (I THINK it is an 1127, but check) plus the words LED replacement.
I have gotten them through E-Bay before.

jbeletti

Has anyone tried the G4 bi-pin LED replacements? I see they come in 160 (2 led) and 205 (3 led) lumen models. At 4200 degrees Kelvin, that sound like it's really white light. Thinking about the 160 for the lights in the slide and bedroom and the 205 for the kitchen and living room. May try a set of 4 to start. $$$$ Jim

porthole

Retired
LED's are pricey indeed, greed.
I added LED's that I picked up in Goshen. Got the "brighter" white lights for the garage (6 units) and the warmer lights for the main room (8). These were the 1141 replacements.
Not real pleased with the quality though. Replaced two units and a light assembly before we left Goshen. And last night after the garage lights were on for awhile they started flickering, not all at once and not all at the same time. Eeeerrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Duane, you might contact the company to see what kind of warranty they have on their products. The Starlight bulb seems to be the same ones that were sold at the rally. The lady that sold us outs checked each of the bulbs because she said that sometimes they get jostled around in shipping and won't work.

porthole

Retired
Duane, you might contact the company to see what kind of warranty they have on their products. The Starlight bulb seems to be the same ones that were sold at the rally. The lady that sold us outs checked each of the bulbs because she said that sometimes they get jostled around in shipping and won't work.

The warranty is a year, so I probably will just deal with it until the trailer gets laid up for the winter. She told me the same thing about being "jostled" around. I don't buy that though, they are solid state, no moving parts. So if they had issues from being shipped they probably are not made correctly in the first place.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Trust me, whatever you choose, make sure they are good quality, like the Starbrites. We bought cheap LED's over a year ago and have never been happy with thenm...not enough light, always having LED's blinking and going out.

At the rally I started with 5 Starbrites in the kitchen (too expensive to replace the whole coach at once)...couldn't be happier, they give off a nice clean light and seem to work much better than the first ones we bought...you know the old saying..."you get what you pay for"!!

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
You should be able to pick them up at any mid-sized RV store. I know we carry a wide assortment of them as does the store down the street. There are two newer brands, Green Long Life, (Made for and imported by Mark Ming, the RV accessory king :) ) and Kaper, which is the first company to actually offer the LED fixtures for retail sale. They are rapidly developing replacements for most bulbs used in the RV industry and we see more styles almost weekly. We have been doing a lot of fluorescent replacements with the T-8 LED replacements, as they eliminate the ballast in older fixtures. There is also a slick little disc light to replace the halogens in those puck style lights. All of these are pretty pricey (avg between $19 and $28) but we should see the price fall as they import more and distribution gets out there.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Should have been at Goshen, dealler was there, got a good price, installed in 10 minutes.

jbeletti

This week at the Hershey RV show, I stopped by Kinzer Enterprise's booth. They were at the 2011 Goshen rally. I ended up buying 8 LED bulbs in 3 styles to start replacing some of my lights - especially the halogen G4 Bi-Pin bulbs.

Tonight I replaced the first two. They are the lights in the ceiling of the dinette slide room - over the recliners. These fixtures had G4 20 watt bi-pin halogen bulbs in them. The light fixture is an ITC RV Luminaire VR, p/n 81232. The LED bulbs I put into them have 2 LEDs on them. They are Star Lights - Revolution - G4-160 SP - 2.2 Watts - 160 Lumens - 4200K.

4200 degrees Kelvin is a pretty bright white light. I'd prefer a lower color temperature to more closely simulate incandescent lighting but this was all they had. On the plus side:
- These shouldn't burn out on me
- They will run cooler and put less heat on my head :)
- They'll consume less power - nice when running on battery only

Light with Cover On.jpg Light with Cover Off.jpg ITC 81232 RV Luminaire VR Light Specifications.jpg Revolution G4-160 SP LED Bulb - 2.2 Watts - 160 Lumens - 4200K.jpg Light with LED Bulb Installed.jpg Comparison 1 - LED on Right.jpg Comparison 2 - LED on Right.jpg

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Hey Jim,

Thanks for the pictures with the info it brought together all the info and made it easier for me to understand the replacement info and get a brief proformance view.

Jim M.

jbeletti

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the pictures with the info it brought together all the info and made it easier for me to understand the replacement info and get a brief proformance view.

Jim M.

My pleasure Jim. I also replaced the bulbs in the 2 swivel reading lamps in the same slide above the recliners. In my coach, these same lights are in the rear cap and above the bed. The replacement LEDs seem to have a lower color temperature. Almost a visible yellow. I'll do a write up and pictures on those later too.

Jim

traveler44

I got mine from Ridgid Industries in Mesa AZ. and they came with the adapter to fit into the 1141 sockets I have in the ceiling fixtures. You might check to see what all they have available and how the prices compare. The thing I like most about them is that the ones I got say MADE IN USA. Tom M.

wcb

This led replacement is by far the brightest that I have found.

They have 24 LEDs, are very bright (as good as a 1141), and each package comes with two socket connector options (bayonet & wedge base).

I used the wedge base for over the range to replace that pathetic 5w electricity waster (huge improvement).

I've been using them for over a year now, and they are still working great, and they drink only about 3.5 watts (.3 Amps).

They just bumped the price, but it's still a good deal.

http://rvtravelmats.amazonwebstore....tm_medium=CSE&utm_source=FIND&affId=the005-20

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
For those of you that have replaced the factory bulbs with LED bulbs, How are they holding up? are you experiencing noise/hum or flickering? Are you still using the same LED bulbs or have you changed bulbs to a different brand/model or back to standard bulbs?

For those of you that have replaced the factory bulbs with LED bulbs, How are they holding up? are you experiencing noise/hum or flickering? Are you still using the same LED bulbs or have you changed bulbs to a different brand/model or back to standard bulbs?

I've changed the track lighting a while back and now the G4 bulbs when they blow. So far they have held up just fine, no noise, no flickering, and still burning bright. Don't think I would ever go back to the standard ones. Now we're waiting for the fluorescent LED's to come down in price a bit before tackling those.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I've changed the track lighting a while back and now the G4 bulbs when they blow. So far they have held up just fine, no noise, no flickering, and still burning bright. Don't think I would ever go back to the standard ones. Now we're waiting for the fluorescent LED's to come down in price a bit before tackling those.

What brand/model bulbs are you using as replacements?