Electrical Hookup

Is it possible to run the electrical devices in the MPG off household current while parked in the driveway? If so does it take a special type plug, connector, etc.?

Thanks.

Lou Ruppert

Yellowreef

Re: ATF: MPG - electrical hookup

Yes and yes. You will need an adapter plug that converts your 30 amp plug to a 20 amp.

Do you plug the adapter into the camper and then plug a 110 extension into the adapter?
What does this adapter look like? I may have one that came with the MPG.

Thanks

Yellowreef

You plug the cord that came with the trailer to the trailer. Then, in-between your house's outlet and the other end of your cord you put an adapter. Its one of those "square peg in the square hole" situations. On one end the adapter has holes that will fit the cable coming from your trailer and in the other end it will have prongs that will fit a normal household outlet. That is all you need. Just in case, notice I said normal household outlet as in a 120ac where you could plug in your blender. Do not attempt to go anywhere near a 220ac outlet, you will fry your rig.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Actually, you can pick up an adapter for 30A to 20A at WalMart, in their RV aisle. I used to use one when we had the TT and put it on the driveway to work on it. I think I have two of them lying around someplace.

rebootsemi

One note: If you use a 120 volt extension cord make sure it is a good 12/3 cord, a friend of ours used a cheapo 50 ft cord to run their 5th wheel in the driveway and because of the cheap cord and the length it got so hot that it melted part of it. I did a test with the Sundance 50 amp cord plugged into a 50 ft 12/3 on a 20 amp breaker. Ran the A/C and everything else until I tried the microwave, the breaker finally got warm enough to trip that was with a 34 amp load. With just the ac and lights it was pulling about 18 amps.