Has anyone got a DirectTV sat. system?

We are ordering a DirectTV satelite system to be installed in our Sundance.
We found their ad in Trailer Life magazine for a free RV receiver, and tripod and also a home install. Has anyone ordered and used this system in your rig.
So far the home unit has arrived but not the gear for the rv. I am having a time getting them to schedule an install.
Any feedback would be greatl.

ChopperBill

Have DirectTV in my house. have the tripod in a tool box and the dish ready to go in my truck camper and the Bighorn. Works great! Think I may have a dish put on the roof of the BH though to save a little hassle at set up time. Will bring along the portable dish in case of a tree problem.

Tom of Ypsi

I have Direct in the house, installed a dish on the roof of my rig and just take a receiver from the house with me. No problems with Direct TV as they are easy to work with.

jimtoo

We are like Tom, have Directv in the house and take two receivers with us when we go. Also have a dish on the roof with dual LNB's, and separate cable run to living room and bed room, and most of the time it works great, but you need to watch for the trees. Sometimes the least little limb will stop the signal.

madigand

I love my direct TV on the road. Not having to mess with the cable systems at some campgrounds. I have a similar set-up as Jimtoo. I recently found out with the auto dish (Dual LNB) on the roof, the #1 output needs to go to the primary TV. Mine was set up as 1 to bedroom and 2 to living room. I could not get signal in living room. You have to have receiver turned on to #1 for dome to acquire satellite and then #2 will work. As soon as it warms up I will climb up on roof and change the outputs. JMHO

Uncle Rog

I have the roof mount / crank antenna with Direct TV, never had a problem aquiring a signal even in trees, always seem to find enough of a break to tune in. I had a slight problem once, my wife pointed out that it was likker related and made the correction in no time. We keep the box in the BH all the time, we use it enough that the $5 a month is well spent....UR

DirectTV

Wow, thanks everyone for the positive responses. Make me fell better about swithcing. Now if only I can get an install date.:)

vangoes

Does anyone have the mobile network service with Directv. I sent in the request for it and they responded that because I had three receivers and I was a residential account and that I would have to open a second account for the rv and suspend/unsuspend whichever account I was using/not using at the time. The problem with not have the mobile network service, you can't get any network channels unless you are in your home area. Any suggestions from anyone.

Uncle Rog

vangoes, I have been 700 miles north of my home and was able to pick up all channels that were available at the house, local, cable and movie.I think you will be alright as long as you do not care about the local news where you are......

vangoes

UR
I spent a large part of the winter in Gulf Shores AL......500 miles south of home and I could not get my locals or any other ABC, NBC, CBS channels. They were all blocked. Wonder what the difference is between our set ups?

navyAZ1

We had one receiver in the house called and asked for one to be installed in 5er they were more than happy to do so and said it is a good thing to let them know that this receiver will be in an RV so if the are doing a check and find this receiver in Washington and it belongs in Georgia they will know not to zap it. One thing they have told me is to set it up at home and use it at least once every couple of weeks to keep the receiver updated with the latest software if you leave it sit for a long time when you turn it on you will have to call customer service to get it to work otherwise. Good Luck we love having it.

phranc

Satellite dish stand

As a Dishnetwork user , I kind of feel like an outcast here..We do the same as most others and just take a receiver from home .
The dish is a Direct TV dish, mounted upside down on a home made stand.
With a little luck I can setup in about 10 min.
Attached is a pic of the home made stand

Attachments

• Copy of Vacation Va-NC 027.jpg
    Copy of Vacation Va-NC 027.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 94

jbeletti

Hi Frank (fellow outcast),

Maybe you and I can start a support forum for us couple of Dish Network users :)

I spoke to Dish yesterday since my $5 monthly bill for being in vacation mode turned into an $85 bill. I did confirm that I am no longer under contract with them. Did my time...

I plan to see how satellite HD delivery shakes out this year, then move into a new satellite equipment setup with HD at the end of the season with whoever is the best way to go.

So I'm hanging in there with ya with Dish this season. See you at the rally :D

Jim

ct0218

I have Directv, residential, 3 receivers (1 HD), and 1 account. I designated 1 receiver for the Landmark a year ago, set it up and it works fine. My home is near Maggie Valley, NC, and Gail is in the Landmark in Tallahassee, FL. That is about 400 miles as the crow flies, and Gail gets the local NC channels there. I use a portable dish since a lot of the CG's in the southeast are heavily shaded and I can usually get a signal with it. You might try calling Directv several times until you get someone that will set it up for you like you want. I have been told one thing by a customer service rep, only to call back and get someone else the said the other rep was wrong. Worth a try.

BigBlue

BigBlue
We have Direct TV and are using it as full timers and it's working great. We have two receivers, one in the bedroom and one in the rear living area. I connected the cable connection outside to the bedroom cable and use the sattelite connection for the rear living area.
I started our service while we still had the house and just moved the receivers into the trailer and while we went on short trips we had all service. On long trips you can lose the network feed because you leave the 'spot' broadcast for your local feed. This spot is fairly large but it is not nation wide. Thats why you can get your network service for some distance away from your residence. Once you leave the spot you lose the network.

For fulltimers traveling accross the country you have to sign up for the national feeds. You can get either the East Coast, the West Coast or both. We have both and that's nice when you have two shows on at the same time. You can watch on the east coast network feed and the other on the west coast feed.

davebennington

We have 4 Direct tv receivers 3 at the house and 1 in the RV. We get the local channels on the outside antenna and everything else off the dish. The way we went was to sign up for the national feeds out of NY that way you get the east coast as well as the west coast stations, CBS, NBC, ABC. I think it only cost about $1.50 for each.

Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have Direct TV and aren't signed up for any locals. We spent 5 months in Texas and never got "zapped". As a side note this is an extra receiver belonging to my son in IL. He gets his locals through a 2nd dish.

tspearcy

Buddy Bear's Mom and Dad
Mobile Direct TV

Hi . . we have Direct TV only for our Bighorn. We have cable in the house. We had to apply for a mobile account with Direct which allows us to get the Distant Network Stations (DNS) from Los Angeles and New York. We had to sign that service would be only used in RV, fax them copies of the registration. We can suspend and reactivate as needed when we go on the road. Can't order movies via the receiver but you can order over internet or call them. We have a 3 LNB dish which the installer brought with him as we made sure they knew it was not for the residence. We can record a show on the DVR but must watch what we are recording or watch a previously recorded show. Hope this helps.

Sandy Pearcy

gawelsh

Sandy - what you've described is what we may be interested in. How do they bill you for this type of service? We only have cable now at home and know nothing about Direct TV, but believe from all we've heard that it's the way to go for the RV. THANKS for any additional info you can provide.

jpmorgan37

Hi George and Lindsey;
I'll butt in here. We've had DirecTv for our RV since 1999. They bill my Discover card and that way, I never worry about getting a bill late. My Discover Card is paid directly by my bank and I never worry about getting a Discover card bill. With the Hughes Net satellite, I am able to keep constant tabs on all my accounts, but we don't get any bills directly. What doesn't go to Discover Card, gets paid directly by our bank. It is the only way for us since we may go for several weeks without getting any mail. We are in Denver, PA now and will be leaving here on Thursday. We probably won't get any mail until after the 4th of July.
John