Slam door latches

Bob Vaughn

We were driving down the interstate on our way home from our 6 week shake up cruise when this guy pulled up next to us blowing his horn and frantically waving his his hand. I slowed and he yelled that my basement door was open. I slowed even more and I could see the door swing open as I came to a stop. What would make it come open after more than an hour on the road?

GOTTOYS

It may not have latched tightly. When I close any of my doors or compartments I give them an additional push to make sure they are fully latched. Many times I have heard a small "click" as they fully latch. The latches are fairly long and should not be able to disengage if fully latched. I've never had a problem with mine...Don

wonka

I found that while loading the basement I set something heavy on the catch, this caused the latch to not seat properly, and bingo it popped open. I just gave the loop a little tweak upwards and all was good again. You might want to check this possibility out.

ChangingPlaces

Hi
We had the same thing happen to us when going home. The door was locked and it flew open nearly hitting a post, just managed to stop without any damage. My dear wife has a check list that she ticks off before we depart so I know it was locked. I will pack out the striker plate a little, hope that does the job.

Bob Vaughn

I remembered after reading the responses that the door on the dock side will pop open when the main basement door is slammed shut...I suspect that that is what may have happened to us.....Now I will have to be vigilant about checking the docking side door....

Crumgater

I always pull on the locked handle to make sure they're shut solid. Had to re-slam the door a few times before heading out last time. Must have been something just slightly in the way of the door getting a good 'slam' when I tried to close it 'gently'. After locking, when I pulled, the door was obviously not latched. Slamming harder did the trick.

Bob Vaughn

I have the most problem when I shut the docking side, then slam the large basement door on the curb side it will sometimes come open.....I am thinking it may be adjusted, my entry door had to be adjusted.....