ATF: Big Country - Extra 110 volt Wire Behind Kitchen Cabinet

SilverRhino

While performing a modification in the kitchen base cabinet of our BC 3250, I discovered a length of 14-2 Romex wire (See Photos ) that is not connected to anything, at least on one end. I could not find the other end of the wire.

The cabinet that was being worked in was the far right base cabinet, the one closest to the door. This cabinet has a false back in it and has the circuit panels mounted in it's side. I was unable to get far enough into this small cabinet to see where the other end of the wire went.

When I checked with a meter, the wire was not hot. I was wondering if HL uses a "standard" wire loom and this particular run was not used on my model.

I thought I would ask for assistance here, since I am unable to call at this time. We are in the mountains in Colorado, No phone service but we do have internet. I do not want to do a final installation of the back of the cabinet until I find out what this wire is for.

Attachments

• bccab2.jpg
    bccab2.jpg
    764.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 78
  • bccab4.jpg
    bccab4.jpg
    766 KB · Views: 83

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I think they put extra screws and wire in the units just to fake us out and confuse us. LOL Really don't have a clue what it might be.

SilverRhino

Do you have a fireplace?

Nope...No fireplace! This morning I made sure that all the breakers were on, previously the front AC and the washer dryer were off......still no power to this wire! So....unless I can find a "munchkin" to crawl in the cabinet for me......I am just going to cap it off and try to forget that I ever saw it. DW wife says that that will never happen.......I will be losing sleep over it until I find out what it is for!

If I did have a fireplace it would go in the bottom cabinet below the television.....looked there for an outlet to trace backward, but did not see one. I would have assumed that HL would have installed a power source inside that cabinet on all of the 3250, just for ease of construction.

Bob Vaughn

Could it be the wire that goes up to the vent in the bedroom for the 2nd A/C unit then the end you found would go into the circuit breaker box for that a/c circuit breaker.....

SilverRhino

I thought of that too Bob. On our next trip, in about a week and a half, I'm going to test that theory.....I'm hoping that's the answer! The back of the cabinet is only mounted in a temporary fashion right now......so I can get to it very easily.

jimtoo

Hi SilverRhino, try using an inspection mirror ( http://www.tooltopia.com/kd-tools-2108.aspx?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=KDT2108&utm_campaign=googlebase_18u ). I have one that traced down a water leak that was very difficult to find. I would not have found the leak without it! You can also use a tool that can help identify a specific wire ( http://www.all-spec.com/products/G508S.html ). Good luck, and happy trails.

Hi JBallam,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Thanks for the information and links.

Enjoy the forum and your new Big Country.

Jim M