Direct TV slim line dish

supernan1414

Are any of you folks using the Five LBM Slim Line dish ???? WE have the old origianal dish and whould like to up grade. We don't travel alot but do occasionally. The spot we will likely go to in Flarida dosn't have cable so wonder how difficult the new dish would be to set up.

danemayer

We're using the Slim Line 3, which is slightly smaller than the 5. It's harder than the standard small dish and can be a bit tricky. I use a $10 satellite finder from Amazon to get a coarse adjustment, but sometimes I'm getting a signal from the wrong satellite. The meter shows a signal but doesn't show which satellite you're getting the signal from. Anyway, once I have the right satellite, I use the fine tuning adjustments on the back of the dish while my wife watches the signal strength meter on the TV.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
From what I am told they are fairly tedious to set up as a carry out, especially if you move frequently, as we do. You have to align up to 5 satellites depending on your service level.
For this reason, we bit the bullet and shelled out for the full auto Directv Winegard slimline. They have come way down in price.( I didn't get it from CW).
After 6 months it has been flawless and has saved a lot of frustration. Very happy with it at this point.
I used a carry out for years. If you stay put for extended periods the carry-out probably makes more sense money wise.
After driving 400-500 miles I prefer not to fiddle with a dish. Go in push a button. No zip codes, azmuth,elevation,tilt. In 5 minutes you have full HD.
Unbelievably, this thing even got a decent signal through trees at one point. I told the DW it wouldn't work, she did it anyway and it worked.
Good luck, Trace

Last edited:

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
Yes, we do. We have been using the 5 lnb slim line dish for several years now. It isnt really any harder to set up than the old round dish (as long as you have the settings before you start). I search for the settings by zip code before we go to a new place. Set the elevation and Skew(tilt) before putting the dish on the mount. Then all you need to do is make sure the mounting mast is level, slide the dish on and turn it side to side until you find the sweet spot. Usually takes me maybe 5 minutes, as long as we arent under to many trees.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Like others above have mentioned, we too have the 5 LNB Slimline and have no problems setting it up. I bought a tripod and some other miscellaneous stuff from a place called TV4RV.Com. This setup works very good for me. I use a Hi Def DVR in the living room and a regular Hi Def reciever in the BR so I need three feeds to the RV.
That leaves me with one spare output that can be used by one of my friends when his RV and rooftop dish is parked under a tree.

Peace
Dave

cashb

Check out the Carry Out Satellite. I can't say enough good about it! No more irritating delay trying to find the satellite, it does it automatically. It is not cheap, but the price is coming down all the time. I would have never set up the old dish, and my husband did his share of cussing fooling with the dang thing! Now, I can do it with no problem. I love this device!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Yes, we do. We have been using the 5 lnb slim line dish for several years now. It isnt really any harder to set up than the old round dish (as long as you have the settings before you start). I search for the settings by zip code before we go to a new place. Set the elevation and Skew(tilt) before putting the dish on the mount. Then all you need to do is make sure the mounting mast is level, slide the dish on and turn it side to side until you find the sweet spot. Usually takes me maybe 5 minutes, as long as we aren't under to many trees.
This is exactly what we do with our slim line. I use the 3 LNB head or the 5 LNB depending on where we're located. (I carry both with us) In the RGV we needed the 5. We're heading to FL this winter so I don't know which we will need but the set up is the same for both.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also have just started using a 5 lnb slimline. It was a little bit trickier to set up than the 3 lnb but finally got a pretty good handle on doing it. We had to have Directv service man out after one of our bad spring storms and he suggested us to try to tune in satelite 119, transponder 25 first cuz according to him, the other satelite will fall in place. Just remember that's according to our area - your might be different.

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We are still a bit on the back burner. We use the 18" round dish and get nice digital TV signal (DirecTV) and use a DVR in the living room. Don't watch TV at night so we don't have a receiver or TV in the bedroom.

I use the TV4RV Tripod and accessories but I use a Bird Dog to find the Satellite. Have a 50', and 2 - 25' dual cables that I connect to the dish. I got a Sat signal at Tybee Island when no one else was getting a signal through the canopy of trees and moss.

Each to their own.

BC