Dish - Direct TV dishes

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have a Dish TV dish with a triple LNB. Just wondering if it will work with Direct TV receivers. Anyone know?

danemayer

There's a possibility you may get standard definition Directv programming but I'm pretty sure you will not be able to get high definition signals.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Jim,
I've been told that the electronics are different on the two brands and they are not interchangebla. Never tried it myself, but a friend in the business told me that.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I don't think so either, but I have never tried it. We have been with DirecTV almost for ever.

You might go into a Bestbuy, Raido Shack or other store and see what they say...

BC

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have been told no by several different folks that it will not work. The Direct TV guy told me that also. I was just curious because I could not see how a Wineguard generic dish would work with both Direct and Dish TV. Oh well...

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
I don't know about the Hi Def portion of the question but.... We have Direct TV and we use a Dish 300 single LMB dish that we picked up at a bargain price somewhere on the roadside! When we upgraded our home service to Hi Def we kept the old boxes and now have them in the RV.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I'm not an expert (but I play one on TV). I believe the issue is that SD uses only one satellite, so either dish will pick up SD programming. You're just pointing at one bird. HD uses multiple satellites, so the spread on the receivers on each brand of dish is different.

davebennington

Gus is correct the HD does have to pick up multiple satellites while the standard direct TV uses 1 LNB, it picks up 1 satellite.

Now with all that said if you want to use a single LNB and pickup just one satellite I believe that a Direct dish and a Dish network will interchange.

Dave

ChopperBill

I have been told no by several different folks that it will not work. The Direct TV guy told me that also. I was just curious because I could not see how a Wineguard generic dish would work with both Direct and Dish TV. Oh well...

I thought when you bought a Winguard HD dish you had to specify Direct or Dish. :confused:

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
On my Carryout I had to change the dip switches for Dish. It comes from the factory set for Direct TV.