PDIs

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
This is just a general question, about any new RV.

We have had 2 motorhomes and we bought them from private parties.

Our trailer is the first new off of the lot purchase and our first expereince at an RV dealer.

When we were making "the deal" for our new NT and the saleman came back with some figures, there was a $1500.00 charge for a PDI. We both asked "what's that?? "

"Oh that is what we charge to walk you through your trailer and show you how everything works and fix whatever might not be working correctly."

My husband and I both said in unison.."You've got to kidding me!!" and "well if something is not working right you are going to fix it anyway aren't you?"

Well we went round and round over this and they threw in the hitch and knocked the PDI fee down to $750.00. We were getting such a good deal on the trailer that we caved in on the $750.00.

Ok my question, is this normal procedure with all RV dealers, we know a lot of folks with motorhomes and trailers/5th wheels and they never heard of such an ungodly amount of money for a PDI.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Did he have a gun and a mask? I've looked through my paperwork a few times from the purchase, and there was no charge for a PDI (which we did for almost 3 hours) or for storing it for five months until we finally took delivery. What hitch did they "throw in" for $750.00?

GOTTOYS

No way..I would have left...Are you really sure you got a good deal?..I gay-ron-tee they didn't "throw in" a hitch or anything else...Don

jpdoggett

Boy I just went and looked at my paper work and there was no PDI charge. Did this guy kiss you when you done? or give you a smoke after. Just another not so honest dealer. And I hope you got a good hitch

Marge

Boy I just went and looked at my paper work and there was no PDI charge. Did this guy kiss you when you done? or give you a smoke after. Just another not so honest dealer. And I hope you got a good hitch
LMAO, yeah that is what we kinda figured! They really saw up coming I guess. We got an EZ lift hitch.

We did think it was a bit much all right! Wowzer. Live and learn I always say. Boy I can hardly wait to tell my husband.

We still think we got a good price on the trailer, so I guess that's all that matters to us, even with taking it in the shorts for the PDI. We sure will know better if there is ever a next time..

Last edited:

Yellowreef

A good dealer wont charge you a PDI fee. Also IMO, a good dealer wont charge you "transportation fees" or whatever else they call it these days. Just the coach and taxes is more than enough for me...

ccupton

We picked up a new 2011 305rw in april and the dealer tryed to charge us $ 2,000.00 for PDI. I told him to keep the trailer if that was part of the deal. We pulled our 5er out with NO PDI charge. Heartland pays them to do PDI.

Marge

We picked up a new 2011 305rw in april and the dealer tryed to charge us $ 2,000.00 for PDI. I told him to keep the trailer if that was part of the deal. We pulled our 5er out with NO PDI charge. Heartland pays them to do PDI.
It seems some Dealers are double dipping, or atleast trying too.

danemayer

A good dealer wont charge you a PDI fee. Also IMO, a good dealer wont charge you "transportation fees" or whatever else they call it these days. Just the coach and taxes is more than enough for me...

Transportation from Elkhart to central Texas is over $2000 (cost to the dealer). You're going to pay for it one way or another.

dewwood

I think everyone has said a PDI is normally not a charge to the customer. I do want to say I think your attitude is exemplary. I hope you have many happy trips in your new unit.

Marge

Well life is definitely a constant learning experience. And if we ever buy from a Dealer again we have learned much from this experience.

We have already had one dandy long trip and a few short ones. And are looking forward to many more. My husband is retired and I'm just tired. If all goes according to plan, I'll be retired in 3 more years at 62.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
A charge for a PDI or walkthrough is nothing but an aditional markup much like a car dealers "dealer prep' charge. A dealer who charges separately for a PDI is only stealing your money. That charge is built into the price and not a separate charge.

Yellowreef

Transportation from Elkhart to central Texas is over $2000 (cost to the dealer). You're going to pay for it one way or another.
I dealt with two dealers right around the same price. One was charging the transportation cost on top of that. The othr dealer, who I bought from, considers that cost of doing business and didnt tack on the extra charge. So, with the price being the same I felt the other dealer was just trying to take me for a ride. Same with the PDI. I'd rather deal with someone that will give me a reasonable price and not tack on two or three fees on the back end of the deal.