Should Fresh Water tank bulge down

RickNB

A question for all Sundance owners. Have you noticed when your fresh water tank is full that it bulges down below the frame about 4 inches? First trip out last Friday to do dome drycamping so loaded up with a tank of water noticed some dripping from underneath and upon looking seen that the tank was bulged down drastically. I have seen other posts of Big Horn having some problems like this is it genetic to the Sundance as well?

Have Fun
Rick

ChopperBill

Welcome aboard Rick! Wait until you hear a "pop" when the plywood comes un-anchored from the frame work. Then you can take the bottom off and put some real braces under the tank. Even the top of the line Landmark has the problem. Most folks go to camp grounds with full hook ups so this problem mostly crops up for us boon dockers. (there is a post on RV.net about tanks falling out, guess the whole industry just brags about how big their tanks are and then you fill 'em and they fall out! :eek: )

sundancer

Rick I just purchase a 2900RK and will be de-winterizing it soon. I will definitely watch for this problem when I flush and fill the tank for the first time. Thanks for the heads up. Sundancer

RickNB

Hey Chopper

I was just figuring that the Sundance had an advantage over the BH and Lmk None Wrong Again:(

Have Fun

Rick

Uncle Rog

Rick, better have that looked at. I know when I camp in the desert having a tank FALL out 10 miles in would not be fun............

RickNB

Uncle Rog

Will have it checked out by dealer service along with the crushed furnace duct and a few other little things . Just got my 2800 the way I wanted it and traded for this 3200 and have to start over . Oh well:D

Have fun
Rick

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

RickNB
I have an 05 Grand Canyon, the tank had to be braced up by the dealer. He put two 2" iron L braces attached to the frame running under the tank. No more sagging.

fishn2dmax

Rick,

You're not giving me much confidence we made the right choice ordering a new sundace, e.g. dump value/ pull cable problem, tank support problems etc. On the surface, it appears Heartland is growing so fast it isn't taking the time to address potential quality issues like this one. I'm sure they do care, but this is the kind of thing that could come back and bite their reputation ( future sales) and short term warranty costs. If this happens, we all lose.
G.S.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I have a friend who just purchased a new unit of another brand. He is having problems also. Some are the same as Heartland some are not, but problems. I think you will have some problems with any brand you buy. Even with the problems we have had we would still buy Heartland again.

C

Chulinw

Get your dealer to get 4 2" L shape angle iron support to go across the bottom of the water thank to provide the support. This should take care of your problem with the fresh water tank. Hope you have a good service manager that will listen you. Then you will have very little problems after that. Just enjoy your camping and meeting good people.None

RickNB

FISHN2DMAX

I understand your concerns as all prospective owners or new owners. I have just purchased my second Sundance and have confidence in the Heartland product or I would not have purchased my second one. I do have a very good dealer that makes sure any problems that I do have are corrected in a timely manner. I have not lost any valuable camping time due to service work having to be done as some other posters have mentioned. Most work carried out by the dealers should not be a reflection on Heartland products but on the dealer.

I do know that regardless of what manufacturer builds a RV that there will be problems of some kind these are very complex units with all the things that would be found in a home and then some.

I have not had time to give my new unit a inside out inspection (looking behind walls and bellly wrap) but what I do see is that the workmanship on my 3200 built in Aug 2007 verses my 2800 built in Feb 2007 is much better quality.

The problem of the water tanks sagging is an engineering issue that has to be addressed and changes made to prevent this. I do not know how long it takes a manufacturer to do redesign and have them implemented on the production line but I would think it cannot or should not be done quickly without proper design being considered. What a dealer does as a fix like placing and extra piece of angle iron may not be the right design to implement on the line.

Enjoy your new RV and hopefully your problems will be none or small and if you do have any your dealer will be able to fix them fast.

Have Fun
Rick